Wow!

I just heard it. There is no lie there.
Two huge lies.

1. Republicans do NOT support it and

2. There is NO bipartisan support for this bill.
You need to look at the transcript or listen to the presser Maggie provided in her link.
Control F: :bipartisan: Not Found.
Good afternoon. Today we reached a critical milestone in our effort to reform our health care system. After many months of thoughtful deliberation, the fifth and final committee responsible for health care reform has passed a proposal that has both Democratic and Republican support.

This effort was made possible by the tireless efforts of Chairman Max Baucus and the other members of the Senate Finance Committee. It's a product of vigorous debate and difficult negotiations.

After the consideration of hundreds of amendments, it includes ideas from both Democrats and Republicans, which is why it enjoys the support of people from both parties. And I want to particularly thank Senator Olympia Snowe for both the political courage and the seriousness of purpose that she's demonstrated throughout this process.

Now, this bill is not perfect, and we have a lot of difficult work ahead of us. There's still significant details and disagreements to be worked out over the next several weeks as the five separate bills from the Senate and the House are merged into one proposal.

But I do believe the work of the Senate Finance Committee has brought us significantly closer to achieving the core objectives I laid out early in September.

Most importantly, this bill goes a long way towards offering security to those who have insurance and affordable options for those who don't. It reins in some of the worst practices of the insurance industry, like the denial of coverage due to preexisting conditions.

It also sets up an insurance exchange that will make coverage affordable for those who don't currently have it. And, as the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office has certified, it will slow the growth of health care costs in the long term, and it will not add a penny to our deficit.

The committee's progress over the past several weeks is the culmination of work by all five committees and numerous members of Congress over the better part of this year. We've reached out to stakeholders across the spectrum -- doctors and nurses, businesses and workers, hospitals and even drug companies -- and we've considered a wide variety of ideas and proposals in an effort to find common ground.

As a result of these efforts, we are now closer than ever before to passing health reform. But we're not there yet.
Now's not the time to pat ourselves on the back. Now's not the time to offer ourselves congratulations. Now's the time to dig in and work even harder to get this done.
And in this final phase, I hope that we will continue to engage each other with the spirit of civility and seriousness that has brought us this far and this subject deserves.
I commend the chairman and the committee's members for their achievement and the example that they've set. And I look forward to continuing to work with Congress in the weeks ahead. We are going to get this done.
Thank you very much, everybody.
Obama: 'Closer than ever' to health care plan, but 'not there yet' - The Oval: Tracking the Obama presidency

If you listen carefully, you'll here him say, "bipartisan support' and that republicans now support..." paraphrased of course.
Two huge lies.

What we have here is more properly called an exaggeration, which can, if big enough, qualify as a lie.

Either way, you can't really say either 1) or 2) because Sen. Snowe is, in fact, a Republican.

I wouldn't be surprised, btw, to find that she's not the only GOP Senator to support this bill in the end.

:D

Of course most people see that as a shocking admission that the Republican Party now has only ONE voice in Washington, and THAT is what's pathetic.
Do keep up dear. The thread is about the President openly lying to the American people.

What lie? Olympia Snow is a REPUBLICAN. All it took was one minority vote, a REPUBLICAN, to move it from committee.

"When history calls, history calls," said Maine Republican Olympia Snowe, whose declaration of support ended weeks of suspense and provided the only drama of a 14-9 vote in the Senate Finance Committee. With her decision, the 62-year-old lawmaker bucked her own leadership on the most high-profile issue of the year in Congress, and gave the drive to remake health care at least a hint of the bipartisanship that Obama seeks.

Wow, how brave. She defied McConnell. Has a Republican ever been so brave as to fall out of step with the GOP. The Stepford Senators must be in shock.

Two huge lies.

What we have here is more properly called an exaggeration, which can, if big enough, qualify as a lie.

Either way, you can't really say either 1) or 2) because Sen. Snowe is, in fact, a Republican.

I wouldn't be surprised, btw, to find that she's not the only GOP Senator to support this bill in the end.

Obama does enjoy support from some other republicans...

"The former majority leader of the Senate, Republican Bill Frist, said last week that if he were in Congress, he'd take the heat and vote for an overhaul. "I'm coming out very strongly in support of what's going on in the Senate Finance Committee," he said on CNN.

"It's bipartisan; I hope that it ends up being bipartisan. If not, I think it's going to be a destructive bill. But it's bipartisan, people working together, so we're on the way there."

Then there's Mark McClellan, who ran Medicare under President George W. Bush.

"Congress needs to act. The health care issues facing this country are both major and urgent," he said. "We have a real opportunity now to make some progress — not just on improving coverage, but also on improving health care. My hope is that we'll take advantage of those opportunities."

And then there's Republican Bob Dole, another former Senate majority leader: "I think we need health care reform and we need it now. We don't need it four or five years from now."

Dole spoke to NPR's political editor Ken Rudin a few weeks ago, and his stance has only gotten stronger since — that the Republican minority in Congress needs to be more flexible. He told the Kansas City Star on Thursday, "I don't want the Republicans putting up a 'no' sign and saying, 'We're not open for business.'"

And there are more Republicans coming out..."

Health Care Bill Gets Support From GOP Off The Hill : NPR

Two huge lies.

I can actually. Bipartisan and party support means a majority of the party. A single vote by one member does not. Given that the other network and broadcast stations will likely omit the fact that only one republican voted for this, they will be lead to believe that the republicans are on board with this un Constitutional bill. So it becomes a lie of omission as well. But that lie will likely be on the media arm of the DNC.

The exact phrases:

"It has both democratic and republican support"

it does not.

And:

"it enjoys the support of people from both parties".

It enjoys the support of ONE republican. That is not the support of the republican party.
And you heard the word bipartisan when it wasn't there either.

I reiterate: Nothing Obama said was a lie.

Do keep up dear. The thread is about the President openly lying to the American people.

What lie? Olympia Snow is a REPUBLICAN. All it took was one minority vote, a REPUBLICAN, to move it from committee.

"When history calls, history calls," said Maine Republican Olympia Snowe, whose declaration of support ended weeks of suspense and provided the only drama of a 14-9 vote in the Senate Finance Committee. With her decision, the 62-year-old lawmaker bucked her own leadership on the most high-profile issue of the year in Congress, and gave the drive to remake health care at least a hint of the bipartisanship that Obama seeks.

Wow, how brave. She defied McConnell. Has a Republican ever been so brave as to fall out of step with the GOP. The Stepford Senators must be in shock.
Olympia Snow is NOT the Republican party and her vote does NOT lend Republican support to this bill. To omit the fact that only ONE Rino voted for this is a lie of the first order.

Gibbs: "We Have Today A Bipartisan Bill"

Gibbs stated it.

There may be just one Republican member of the entire Congress who publicly states her support for health care legislation. And that member may stress that her vote could change as the legislation is modified. But the White House is already claiming a small victory in achieving bipartisan consensus for reform "Sure," said spokesman Robert Gibbs, when asked if Sen. Olympia Snowe's (R-ME) decision to vote for the Senate Finance Committee bill meant the legislation had bipartisan support.
"We have today a bipartisan bill," he offered later. "So we seem to have checked both boxes [bipartisanship and a bill that enhances choice and competition.]"

The exact phrases:

"It has both democratic and republican support"

it does not.

And:

"it enjoys the support of people from both parties".

It enjoys the support of ONE republican. That is not the support of the republican party.
And you heard the word bipartisan when it wasn't there either.

I reiterate: Nothing Obama said was a lie.
It is in fact, a complete lie. He did not use the word, bipartisan, thats true. Most likely, when I heard him say it held the support of both parties, I just substituted the word bipartisan, which I'm sure was his intent.

I'll reiterate. The man is a bold faced liar.

Two huge lies.

It is being reported she was the only GOP vote "for" on the committee.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/14/health/policy/14health.html?_r=1&hp

Gibbs stated it.

There may be just one Republican member of the entire Congress who publicly states her support for health care legislation. And that member may stress that her vote could change as the legislation is modified. But the White House is already claiming a small victory in achieving bipartisan consensus for reform "Sure," said spokesman Robert Gibbs, when asked if Sen. Olympia Snowe's (R-ME) decision to vote for the Senate Finance Committee bill meant the legislation had bipartisan support.
"We have today a bipartisan bill," he offered later. "So we seem to have checked both boxes [bipartisanship and a bill that enhances choice and competition.]"

So, it appears that the White House IS claiming bipartisanship. Imagine that. Another lie. And from the chief propagandist hisself.

Those remaining RHINOS are what will save your party. If you think the fringers and revolutionary wannabes are what will propel you forward and start winning elections, you need to climb out of your well-defined box and take a big whiff of reality.

Darling I have no party. I am an unenrolled registered voter in Mass and have been for years. No letters after my name. I despise political parties. So never assume you have me pegged. You will be wrong. I have changed my position on several issues over the last few years. Not being committed to any party speak or talking points allows me immense freedoms to follow my heart and MY beliefs.

Then politically, you're a non-entity, so why do you bother coming to a political message board? But I think you really do know who you are, because just invoking the label "rhino" you are subtly confessing your right-wing leanings but you just don't want to admit it.
Maggie: Dreamy tends to lean right, but she is what she says she is. & She's a good egg.

Two huge lies.

The Times eh? I'm surprised at that one.

Dog face continues to respond to me, time after time, though she knows i ignore her.

I will break for one time and respond to the Dog faced Si Modo: Darkwind said Obama said it, idiot.

Two huge lies.

Committee yes, now let's see the vote in the whole Senate.

Gibbs stated it.

Gibbs jumped the gun a little, though there are many republicans outside of the voting crowd who do support it. See my link earlier.

It was not Obama who said it, as Darkwind said, it was Gibbs. Prematurely perhaps, and most certainly will be a call for the right to hammer him for it.

Meh.

Dog face continues to respond to me, time after time, though she knows i ignore her.

I will break for one time and respond to the Dog faced Si Modo: Darkwind said Obama said it, idiot.
LMAO! But, I don't ignore your idiocy. And Gibbs is the spokesman for the White House.

Last edited:
Darling I have no party. I am an unenrolled registered voter in Mass and have been for years. No letters after my name. I despise political parties. So never assume you have me pegged. You will be wrong. I have changed my position on several issues over the last few years. Not being committed to any party speak or talking points allows me immense freedoms to follow my heart and MY beliefs.

Then politically, you're a non-entity, so why do you bother coming to a political message board? But I think you really do know who you are, because just invoking the label "rhino" you are subtly confessing your right-wing leanings but you just don't want to admit it.
Maggie: Dreamy tends to lean right, but she is what she says she is. & She's a good egg.

Right you are. Thanks for the good word paperview. The only label I like to apply to myself is political honesty. No party will ever offer me what I want in government so I avoid them all. I trusted and was burnt by both over the years.

Forum List

Back