Would you support a wall if a Democrat supported it?

I think you would, but are too invested in Trump hatred to admit it.

:lastword:

Well the Dems wanted the wall a few years ago and now they don't.

Stupid really. That wall would save the tax payers billions every year and once its built no one can get in and we can boot those that are here out.

Works for me.

I think you would, but are too invested in Trump hatred to admit it.

:lastword:
Actually, Democrats do support a wall.

But they also want serious immigration reform, which Republicans have consistently blocked.

Here is a speech by Democratic Senator Charles Schumer in 2009 at Georgetown: The Voter's Self Defense System

Today, I want to share with you the core of what I will tell the President tomorrow during our meeting.

<snip>

I recently helped demonstrate this commitment by working with Attorney General Holder and Secretary Napolitano to ensure that Immigration and Customs Enforcement has the necessary Title 21 authority to perform investigations and make arrests in order to assist our Government's comprehensive efforts against the violent drug, weapons, and human smuggling cartels on our border.

<snip>

After my many meetings with stakeholders, and other members of Congress, I truly believe that the fundamentals for immigration reform exist if we coalesce around seven key principles that the American people overwhelmingly support.

<snip>

1. Illegal immigration is wrong, and a primary goal of comprehensive immigration reform must be to dramatically curtail future illegal immigration.

2. Operational control of our borders--through significant additional increases in infrastructure, technology, and border personnel--must be achieved within a year of enactment of legislation.

3. A biometric-based employer verification system—with tough enforcement and auditing—is necessary to significantly diminish the job magnet that attracts illegal aliens to the United States and to provide certainty and simplicity for employers.

4. All illegal aliens present in the United States on the date of enactment of our bill must quickly register their presence with the United States Government—and submit to a rigorous process of converting to legal status and earning a path to citizenship—or face imminent deportation.

5. Family reunification is a cornerstone value of our immigration system. By dramatically reducing illegal immigration, we can create more room for both family immigration and employment-based immigration.

6. We must encourage the world's best and brightest individuals to come to the United States and create the new technologies and businesses that will employ countless American workers, but must discourage businesses from using our immigration laws as a means to obtain temporary and less-expensive foreign labor to replace capable American workers; and finally

7. We must create a system that converts the current flow of unskilled illegal immigrants into the United States into a more manageable and controlled flow of legal immigrants who can be absorbed by our economy.

<snip>

Between 2005 and 2009, a vast amount of progress has been made on our borders and ports of entry. This progress includes:

(1) 9,000 new border patrol agents in the last 4 years;

(2) construction of 630 miles of border fence that create a significant barrier to illegal immigration on our southern land border; and

(3) implementation of new border technologies which serve as "force multipliers" and allow the border patrol to maintain control of larger segments of the border with fewer agents.

I don’t care who builds the wall or who takes credit. Let’s just get her done

Our biggest problem with immigration is not the lack of a wall. Our biggest problem is a lack of immigration reform.

I don't see why we can't have both. And yet neither party is willing to give.

Our biggest problem with immigration is not the lack of a wall. Our biggest problem is a lack of immigration reform.

Last time republicans gave for immigration reform Democrats refused to follow through with their end. Why on earth would we trust them again?

Even so trump has offered them what they want. They keep refusing. They don’t want to fix immigration

Last time republicans gave for immigration reform Democrats refused to follow through with their end.
Horseshit.

Look at items 1, 2, and 3 at the very end of post 9.

Forum List

Back