CDZ Would Police Dogs be an effective means to neutralize school shooters?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by MarathonMike, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Admiral Rockwell Tory

Admiral Rockwell Tory Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,269
    They don't have to confront them! When the shooter tries to get through the door the teacher can return fire. I doubt they will try that route even if they survive. hat will allow the teacher to protect themselves and the students.

I would feel sorry for anyone trying to get into my classroom if I was armed. All the advantage is mine!

As for those police officers, I hope they never get a good night's sleep for the rest of their lives!

2. Admiral Rockwell Tory

Admiral Rockwell Tory Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,269
    Somebody else watches too much TV!

3. usmbguest5318

usmbguest5318 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,772
    While a dog's speed may be somewhat diminished by the flooring's relative lack of friction, the greater challenge to the dog will be turns and stopping, although the shooter's body, upon the dog's hitting it, will provide enough resistance to adequately mitigate the stopping problem. Unfortunately, a bullet hitting the dog, regardless of whether it hits the bulletproof vest you suggested or hits the dog's unprotected bits -- particularly the bits that one sees when a dog is running straight on toward one -- will also mitigate the stopping problem, regardless of whether it kills the dog.

Even though wearing body armor may prevent a bullet from penetrating one's skin, one is nonetheless affected by the force of the impact, which is akin to being hit by a club. In other words, the impact alone packs quite a wallop, and that's on a human. The resistive force is even more impactful on a less massive creature. So while there's no guarantee that the shooter's bullets will hit the dog, any one that does will stop the dog's advance.

That said, I think your suggestion has some merit and I acknowledge its tactical value: the shooter must address the threat of the approaching dog before proceeding to shoot more humans. In light of that sending in several attack dogs could well be effective in neutralizing the shooter because unless the shooter is proficient in parrying dog attacks, only one needs to get to the shooter. Also, seeing a phalanx of dogs bearing down, a shooter is very likely to disengage his/her assault on humans, perhaps even taking flight/cover from them and not resuming the attack on people.

The biggest shortcoming with your proposal is that it is reactive rather than proactive. There's no shortage of effective tactical responses to an active shooter; the dog idea is but another, and I suspect it's one that law enforcement professionals consider on a situation-by-situation basis. The problem the country faces is not how to take down an active shooter, but rather (1) how to materially reduce a would-be active shooter's means and opportunity to become an active shooter and (2) how to materially dissuade a would-be active shooter from construing to become an active shooter.

Would security guards (professional ones like the Secret Service or other folks who provide protection for folks paying "big coin" for it) accompanied by a pair of dogs (with or without body armor) may have some deterring impact, though I have no way to quantify that impact or to say for sure that it will. After all, active shooters don't think rationally, other than perhaps with regard to planning their attacks.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. K9Buck

K9Buck Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    You said it far more eloquently than me. Thanks.

5. K9Buck

K9Buck Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    Another high probability issue with sending a dog onto a shooter is that, if there are kids and teachers running and screaming for their lives, it's always a possibility that the dog could actually attack one of them. My guess is a majority of PSD's WOULD correctly target and attack the shooter. But, you might be surprised at what a lot of good dogs will do in that type of an environment.

The dog going onto the shooter is very likely a suicide mission for the dog. I think a lot of handlers would be hesitant to send their partner and best friend to their death, but some handlers have had to do so. It goes with the territory.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52,954
    for someone like me...seeing a dog killed would be just as traumatic as seeing a person killed....very few dogs deserve to be killed....cant say that for people

7. usmbguest5318

usmbguest5318 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,772
    YW

8. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52,954
    the slick floor is an issue....my dobies always had trouble on tile and slick floors.....one would just lay down and stop...i just do not like the idea of having to have dogs killed due to the inability of this culture to lay down guns

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. K9Buck

K9Buck Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    I fixed it for you.

10. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52,954
    good point.....if the gun laws on the book were enforced ....it would help....i am a gun owner....i do not want to ban guns but damn there is a point where the killing is getting outta hand....in inner cities and high schools....co has been arming teachers who volunteered....i have all kinds of issues with that but i would rather see teachers armed than dogs being used..

interesting local story....barnett guns had fire in their range..

Tracer round ignites fire at Hampton indoor gun range

now the owner has made a private range on his property and the neighbors are not happy

Concerns grow in Carter County community after neighbor builds outdoor gun range