CDZ The idea of gun violence restraining orders....discuss...

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
This is an idea working it's way through several states, and mentioned by David French from National Review.....it would give families the power to go to a court to get guns taken away from a family member they think is dangerous....

I am not sure about this...the ability to abuse it is pretty good...

Here is a check on this power.....if the state or feds use a Gun violence restraining order, they pay your lawyers fee and court costs when you go to court to get your guns back.....that might limit the abuse.....

This is an idea working it's way through several states, and mentioned by David French from National Review.....it would give families the power to go to a court to get guns taken away from a family member they think is dangerous....

Here is a check on this power.....if the state or feds use a Gun violence restraining order, they pay your lawyers fee and court costs when you go to court to get your guns back.....that might limit the abuse.....

Sounds like what would be "infringement" to me.

Cars kill more people than guns, drug use is another bigger killer than guns and I think the same rules should apply to all including guns as a voidable felony. As a way of getting reckless/drunk/distracted drivers off the road I can stomach that degree of restriction on gun ownership. I also believe the right to carry arms should be restored along with the right to vote.

Good topic. I envision this as an answer and a route to state funny farm doctors declaring people are too crazy to have guns.

I suspect the answer will be to find an acceptable amount of scatter bans.

What do you figure, 1% of the non felon population is just too nuts to be trusted with a gun? 5% are borderline unemployable.

Cars kill more people than guns, drug use is another bigger killer than guns and I think the same rules should apply to all including guns as a voidable felony. As a way of getting reckless/drunk/distracted drivers off the road I can stomach that degree of restriction on gun ownership. I also believe the right to carry arms should be restored along with the right to vote.

Lawn mowers kill more people every year than mass shooters do...except for 2017...the only year in 35 years that it wasn't true...

Lawn mowers kill more people every year than mass shooters do...except for 2017...the only year in 35 years that it wasn't true...

Bad analogy.

Just because my car needs new shocks doesn't mean I shouldn't attend to my brakes if they start grinding and I only have money to fix one.

That said, interesting stat on lawnmowers. Over 15 years I think I think there was just one time I ended up nearly tipping my rider. Thank goodness I'm a big boy and could stick a leg out and push it back. Then again if I was a normal height and weighed less maybe the center of gravity would not have been so high lol.

I guess I am okay with this. It's certainly a woman's issue, as men are usually the ones waving the guns at the girlfriend or wife in domestic violence. "Cleaning my guns" in a threatening, obvious, angry way at the kitchen table is a well-known tactic of men discussed at women's shelters.

Another issue is senility. At some point in the 70s or 80s, it may be time to take his guns out of the house. The family takes the car keys: why not the guns.

Boys under 21 who show violence like all the police visits to Nikolas Cruz should obviously have their guns confiscated. Well, even over 21 in that case.

I guess I am okay with this. It's certainly a woman's issue, as men are usually the ones waving the guns at the girlfriend or wife in domestic violence. "Cleaning my guns" in a threatening, obvious, angry way at the kitchen table is a well-known tactic of men discussed at women's shelters.

Another issue is senility. At some point in the 70s or 80s, it may be time to take his guns out of the house. The family takes the car keys: why not the guns.

Boys under 21 who show violence like all the police visits to Nikolas Cruz should obviously have their guns confiscated. Well, even over 21 in that case.

I need to look at how it would be applied.

The average High School has 700 or 800 kids I think. If you took the right to bear arms away from the most dangerous .001% of kids that's about 1 kid per school.

Would that be enough to have prevented that shooting? Would you have had to take the guns from his parents also? Or put his parents on notice that if their guns were used by him in a shooting they'd be eligible for the death penalty as accomplices?

At its heart I agree with the idea some people just shouldn't have guns. I'm really wondering about the scatter though and if Melania gets to choose who is too nuts to have a gun or who.

It's not the state or feds seeking the order it is the family in your hypothetical and they are in the best position to know. It would be an a difficult process at best, a family turning on its own so the only abuse I'd predict is by the (deranged?) family member going to court over and over putting the family through hell over and over.

The idea circling was what? That family members had a possibility to get a gun permit away from a member?

:auiqs.jpg:The result is that you need waaaay more court employees. And who will pay them and the extra psychiatrists?

Forum List

Back