Would it be self defense if....

BBCAmerica

May 23, 2012
Well let's start by saying that deadly self defense is used if you fear for your life. Is that Correct?

So let's say there is a young woman walking down the street.
As she is walking she notices a man in a truck following her. The man in the truck think she looks like she is up to no good and is calling 911.
The woman is afraid so she starts to run. The man exits his truck and starts to chase after her.
The woman fearing for her life, ducks behind a bush. She reaches into her purse and grabs a small .25 cal. hand gun she has a permit to carry. As she exits the bush she sees the man chasing her and shoots him and kills him.

Is this self defense?
Can it be said that this woman had a reasonable fear for her life?

hypothetical fallacy
a 25 cal wouldnt penetrate his t-shirt.
dumb bitch needs at least a 380

Wrong my friend. I watched with my own eyes, a guy get shot in the belly with a 25 and die in agony as the bullet tore through his insides.

Well let's start by saying that deadly self defense is used if you fear for your life. Is that Correct?

As she is walking she notices a man in a truck following her. The man in the truck think she looks like she is up to no good and is calling 911.
The woman is afraid so she starts to run. The man exits his truck and starts to chase after her.
The woman fearing for her life, ducks behind a bush. She reaches into her purse and grabs a small .25 cal. hand gun she has a permit to carry. As she exits the bush she sees the man chasing her and shoots him and kills him.

Is this self defense?

I dont see how. I think that would be called lying in wait. Kind of like TM did.
Oh yeah.....what kind of truck? And who the hell carries a .25?
And if she insists on carrying a .25 maybe she's to stupid to live.
And what color were here shoes? We have to know that.

Wow you would call that lying in wait?
I don't know if i would call it self defense. However idk if i would call it murder. I mean the guy hadn't actually done anything to her. Then again his intentions are not known to her.

Is this self defense?

It has to be a rational fear. To answer your question based on just those facts I would say no, she had no reason to fire the gun.

Is this self defense?

No, the fear must be of imminent bodily injury or death.

In your example the woman likely used justified deadly force.

Is this self defense?

Self defense. She is is being chased by a stranger who has not identified himself, and she has reasonable fear for her safety.

This is what happened in the Zimmerman case. George should be behind bars.

Is this self defense?

It has to be a rational fear. To answer your question based on just those facts I would say no, she had no reason to fire the gun.

If someone follows you in their car, then gets out and starts to chase you on foot, I'd say you'd have a fear for your safety and life.

I don't know if i would call it self defense. However idk if i would call it murder. I mean the guy hadn't actually done anything to her. Then again his intentions are not known to her.

Exactly. You pretty much covered it.
It would be murder,plain and simple.

No I did not cover it.
To me the situation is confusing Just like GZ. I have no doubt that he was in fear of his life. I also think, had it not have been for GZ then GZ wouldn't be this situation.

Is this self defense?

Self defense. She is is being chased by a stranger who has not identified himself, and she has reasonable fear for her safety.

Had the hypothetical bimbo stepped out from the bush with her cheap ass ghetto gun and warned the guy not to come any closer and he did? Shoot him.
If you jump out from hiding and just shoot someone you're going to prison or hell depending on the state.

Is this self defense?

Had the hypothetical bimbo stepped out from the bush with her cheap ass ghetto gun and warned the guy not to come any closer and he did? Shoot him.
If you jump out from hiding and just shoot someone you're going to prison or hell depending on the state.

She should be allowed to shoot if the guy continues toward her after she has warned him, yes.

Exactly. You pretty much covered it.
It would be murder,plain and simple.

No I did not cover it.
To me the situation is confusing Just like GZ. I have no doubt that he was in fear of his life. I also think, had it not have been for GZ then GZ wouldn't be this situation.

Do we really need another GZ thread?
What you're trying to prove has been discussed ad nauseam.
GZ was part of the neighborhood watch. And even if he wasnt he has every right as a property owner to do what he did.
TM lay in wait and attacked GZ, and absorbed a bullet for his arrogance,end of story.

Last edited:

She should be allowed to shoot if the guy continues toward her after she has warned him, yes.

For the most part yes. The only problem is her gun choice. She'd have to start shooting early and often to stop anyone with a .25 and that may appear excessive.

Is this self defense?

Is being followed enough reason to fear for your life?

You're analogy is actually weak and has no resemblance to how certain events would play out.

What made her look suspicious? Was she walking close to houses and looking into windows? Was she wearing a hoodie? Did she have skittles and Arizona tea?

Forum List

Back