Worst Team Names

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
With the Washington Native Americans soon to be searching for a politically correct moniker, the subject of bad team names come to mind.

First of all, any name that is a singular word is near the top of the list in any event because it just sounds stupid in conversation. Young boys in, say, Baltimore can grow up dreaming of one day being an "Oriole." Do young BBer's in Miami dream of growing up to be a "Heat"?

"Heat" is not only a singular word, but it invokes visions of discomfort, nausea and general unpleasantness. As Dave Barry suggested, they might as well have named the team the Blood-sucking Tropical Insects.

Minnesota "Wild," anyone? Georgetown Hoyas?

Maybe the Redskins could make a play on the baseball team and call themselves the Washington National Debt.

But that would cause confusing with everyone else in Washington, who are, by and large, douchebags.

How about the Cleveland BROWNS. An obvious reference to the color of the Cuyahoga River. Actually, the team was named after it's coach, Paul Brown.

The Buffalo BILLS. A really odd name for a sports team. Named after Buffalo Bill Cody, who had a wild west show. I doubt that the real "Buffalo Bill" ever actually visited Buffalo, New York.

The Utah JAZZ. We all know that the state of Utah is a hotbed for jazz music. Actually, the team was moved to Utah from New Orleans and they didn't bother to change the name.

The Memphis GRIZZLIES. Obviously a reference to all of the grizzly bears that roam around Memphis, Tennessee?

Kansas City ROYALS. I know that when I think of Kansas City, "royalty" always comes to mind.

Arizona CARDINALS. I lived in Phoenix for many years. I never saw a cardinal, except maybe in a museum. Another case of a team moving from somewhere else and not bothering to change the name.

Atlanta BRAVES. I am shocked that the PC crowd hasn't demanded a name change for Atlanta's baseball team. After all, how many Indian braves ARE there in Atlanta?

Cleveland CAVALIERS. What the hell is a "cavalier", and what do they have to do with Cleveland?

With the Washington Native Americans soon to be searching for a politically correct moniker, the subject of bad team names come to mind.

First of all, any name that is a singular word is near the top of the list in any event because it just sounds stupid in conversation. Young boys in, say, Baltimore can grow up dreaming of one day being an "Oriole." Do young BBer's in Miami dream of growing up to be a "Heat"?

"Heat" is not only a singular word, but it invokes visions of discomfort, nausea and general unpleasantness. As Dave Barry suggested, they might as well have named the team the Blood-sucking Tropical Insects.

Minnesota "Wild," anyone? Georgetown Hoyas?

Maybe the Redskins could make a play on the baseball team and call themselves the Washington National Debt.

Green Bay Packers! They suck all the way around and too easy for us Bears fans to call them the fudge packers!

Cleveland Browns, it what happens to Amity underwear when she sees a Jew!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back