Worst General in History???

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Who was the worst general in American history? -

Who was the worst general in American history?

Pulitzer prize-winning reporter Thomas Ricks, writing in Foreign Policy, picks Gen. Douglas MacArthur as the worst general in American history, just ahead of traitor Benedict Arnold.

Ricks, who covered military affairs for The Washington Post and The Wall Street Journal, fingers MacArthur for "being insubordinate to three presidents (Hoover, Roosevelt and Truman) as well as screwing up the Korean War."

He also knocks MacArthur for gassing and suppressing Bonus Marchers in 1932.

I would have picked George McClellan whose timidity in battle cost millions of lives in the Civil War

Last edited:
This video is relevant to the OP:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfi4s8cjLFI]YouTube - SAM KINISON IN BACK TO SCHOOL[/ame]

In history? Hard to say.

I'd give Omar Bradley and Ike raspberry. Had Patton and Bradley switched roles, Berlin would have fallen to the US and British 6 months sooner and we would have kept Prague, Vienna and Berlin from going Soviet

Custer is an obvious choice.

Bragg is also a close also ran, but he won at chickamauga, mostly because to Northern generals got in a spat and let their lines seperate so that Longstreet could march right through them.

Pillow is another obvious choice. Not just because of the way he set up dondaldson, but also because of the cowardly way he snuck off leaving breckinridge with the job of surrendering to Grant.

I think the real winner has to be Lord Sackville. The US was part of the British empire at the time of the seven years war, and Sackville had his troops mutiny and defeat the french contrary to orders.

Sackville is also the guy responsible for Colonial policy in George III's administration from 1773 onwards. Sackville, more than any other British official is responsible for the American revolution.

Pulitzer prize-winning reporter Thomas Ricks, writing in Foreign Policy, picks Gen. Douglas MacArthur as the worst general in American history, just ahead of traitor Benedict Arnold.

Ricks, who covered military affairs for The Washington Post and The Wall Street Journal, fingers MacArthur for "being insubordinate to three presidents (Hoover, Roosevelt and Truman) as well as screwing up the Korean War."

I would have picked George McClellan whose timidity in battle cost millions of lives in the Civil War

Not very good at this history stuff, are you?

MacArthur hardly is the reason Korea got screwed up. Truman would be the reason Korea got screwed up. He's the one that started this fighting with one hand tied behind our backs and he didn't have the balls to stand up to China.

Pope, McDowell, Burnside and Hooker were FAR more inept Generals than McClellan. The North lost a total of 212M in combat during the entire war. Burnside lost 12K plus at Fredericksburg, repeatedly attempting frontal assaults on a firmly entrenched enemy holding the high ground. Hooker lost 17k at Chancellorville.

Saying McClellan cost millions of lives is exaggerating more than just a tad.

MacArthur hardly is the reason Korea got screwed up. Truman would be the reason Korea got screwed up. He's the one that started this fighting with one hand tied behind our backs and he didn't have the balls to stand up to China.

Pope, McDowell, Burnside and Hooker were FAR more inept Generals than McClellan. The North lost a total of 212M in combat during the entire war. Burnside lost 12K plus at Fredericksburg, repeatedly attempting frontal assaults on a firmly entrenched enemy holding the high ground. Hooker lost 17k at Chancellorville.

You'd love the video I posted in this thread then Gunny. :eusa_whistle:

Talk about exaggeration. Try 620,000 men total killed in the Civil War.

Thanks for telling me about a guy I shouldn't waste my time reading because he knows nothing about warfare or generalship.

As to the "Lil general" while I would love to attribute all kinds of ill to him, the fact is that when there are fewer than 1 million deaths total, you can attribute "millions" of deaths to him, no matter how inept he was.

Want to try again? This time addressing what I DID post, not what I didn't?

The number I posted is total COMBAT casualties. That would be the primary manner in which a general would get people killed.

EDIT: the number in my previous post should state 212K, not M. I was not trying to exaggerate. I just suck at typing.:lol:

I live on the Little Bull Run, about a stones throw from my back door, so I get to go all these places. If you've ever been to Fredricksburg and saw what Burnside attempted, it would send icy shivers up your spine. As a former Infantryman, I just can't imagine what callous disregard for both mission success and his men, his actions displayed.

I live on the Little Bull Run, about a stones throw from my back door, so I get to go all these places. If you've ever been to Fredricksburg and saw what Burnside attempted, it would send icy shivers up your spine. As a former Infantryman, I just can't imagine what callous disregard for both mission success and his men, his actions displayed.

I lived in Alexandria and have been to Fredericksburg. I would not have attempted what Burnside did. IMO, he should have been court martialed. That was murder.

Want to try again? This time addressing what I DID post, not what I didn't?

The number I posted is total COMBAT casualties. That would be the primary manner in which a general would get people killed.

EDIT: the number in my previous post should state 212K, not M. I was not trying to exaggerate. I just suck at typing.:lol:

Ok, that would explain that lol

Forum List

Back