Worse than the kiddie parties...

JennyFever

Sep 24, 2008
Cincinnati
Showers, either baby or bridal. In the coming year, I've got 5 wedding showers and 2 baby showers to look forward to. Bring on the bachelorette party!

I hate playing "Baby Bingo", "What Candy Bar is Melted in the Diaper", and "Make a Wedding Dress Out of Toilet Paper". I hate having to watch someone open 20 gifts and then pretend I'm excited about them when they are passed around the room. I hate the phrase, "Isn't that darling?!" and all the squealing when baby clothes/lingerie are opened. I hate that the entire event is scripted.

I recently had my first baby, and while I was pregnant, one of my friends said, "Can't we just have a regular party and bring you presents?" So that's what we did and it was awesome. Guys were invited as well as gals, so my husband could be involved. We had a gift table, and I allowed who ever wanted to look at the stuff to go through it. No gift circle, and no games. We grilled out and played that beanbag toss game (called "cornhole" hear in Cincinnati...how weird is that?). People actually stuck around and spent some time with us instead of heading for the hills at the first opportunity. It was a great time, and I recommend it if you are sick of the shower circuit.

Showers, either baby or bridal. In the coming year, I've got 5 wedding showers and 2 baby showers to look forward to. Bring on the bachelorette party!

I hate playing "Baby Bingo", "What Candy Bar is Melted in the Diaper", and "Make a Wedding Dress Out of Toilet Paper". I hate having to watch someone open 20 gifts and then pretend I'm excited about them when they are passed around the room. I hate the phrase, "Isn't that darling?!" and all the squealing when baby clothes/lingerie are opened. I hate that the entire event is scripted.

I recently had my first baby, and while I was pregnant, one of my friends said, "Can't we just have a regular party and bring you presents?" So that's what we did and it was awesome. Guys were invited as well as gals, so my husband could be involved. We had a gift table, and I allowed who ever wanted to look at the stuff to go through it. No gift circle, and no games. We grilled out and played that beanbag toss game (called "cornhole" hear in Cincinnati...how weird is that?). People actually stuck around and spent some time with us instead of heading for the hills at the first opportunity. It was a great time, and I recommend it if you are sick of the shower circuit.
My family loves showers, well I guess the women do! The one time we did something like you talked about it was a lot like you said. People stayed longer and it wasn't so boring.
My family babyshower was boring and uncomfortable!

i hate showers...you know what i hate more..these damned announcements that are magnetic to "save" the date of the damned wedding.....one has been on the fridge for nearly a year...the wedding is this saturday. i really hate people who think they have a lot more taste than they do. I am just full of hate and snot this am. Sorry.

i hate showers...you know what i hate more..these damned announcements that are magnetic to "save" the date of the damned wedding.....one has been on the fridge for nearly a year...the wedding is this saturday. i really hate people who think they have a lot more taste than they do. I am just full of hate and snot this am. Sorry.
My brother and his wife did that crap and it also had a twelve month calender on it with a heart on the date of the wedding.

See, I could probably use one of those save-the-date magnets. I actually forgot to go to one of my cousin's weddings, once. Just spaced out. I had to send her an expensive gift to make up for it.

Exactly! My friends threw me a "baby shower" with about 50 gals in a clubhouse. There was food, booze and presents for my little angel. (I drank 7-UP of course.)

The Pacers were playing in the NBA Playoffs, and we had that on the big screen. Everyone was hooping and hollering, we had a ball! (The neighbors did complain we were getting too loud :redface: )

Everyone had a blast and I felt blessed to have so many great friends.

(by the way, we call it 'cornhole' here in Indiana too)

Forum List

Back