One Parenthood Downside: Children's Birthday Parties

William Joyce

Chemotherapy for PC
Jan 23, 2004
Caucasiastan
Oh Lord, just kill me now. I just got back from an otherwise perfectly nice Sunday morning at my THIRD petting zoo of the summer. Followed by presents for the birthday girl where we're all compelled to ooh and aah over every thing.

Did you get them one of these? My daughter used to have one and took it everywhere with her!

$black barbie.gif

http://www.angelicdreamz.com/store/barbie_AA.html

Last edited:
I had two birthday parties for my babies last week. They're one year two days apart, 5 and 6 this year, no pretending there's no birthday.

I won't let people bring presents. I get them a couple, meet those who want to participate at the park and levae it at that. No invitations this year...word of mouth only.

We had 3 cakes in as many days last week. I'm about caked out.

The last time, we an "official" birthday party was when my son was 1 year old. He is now 6. After that party, because I had worked myself to the bone, I was sick for a week with the flu. I'd like to give him a birthday party, but it will probably with his older sister in the summer. It will be an unbirthday party during the summer because their birthdays are in the colder months.

Oh Lord, just kill me now. I just got back from an otherwise perfectly nice Sunday morning at my THIRD petting zoo of the summer. Followed by presents for the birthday girl where we're all compelled to ooh and aah over every thing.

Not to be a dick, but since I'm good at it ....

Try spending a few of those birthdays and Christmas's deployed or involved in a war. You might learn to appreciate them a little more.

I really don't understand your mindset. I wish I could do them all again, and wouldn't trade those memories for immortality, and I wish most of all I could be there for the ones I couldn't be at home.

Most of the kids in my neighborhood have never met their father. :eusa_boohoo:

Try spending a few of those birthdays and Christmas's deployed or involved in a war. You might learn to appreciate them a little more.

I really don't understand your mindset. I wish I could do them all again, and wouldn't trade those memories for immortality, and I wish most of all I could be there for the ones I couldn't be at home.

Well said Gunny.

Did the kids cry when you told them that the white goats were smarter than the black goats?

:rofl:

spoken like ever parent who has missed a special day with their child....
but lets not forget..there were moments when....3 petting zoos in a week would have been maddening.

nothing says parenthood ...like stepping on a friggin lego block barefooted at 3 am.
or your baby teething at 3am. Just say I didn't get any sleep last night! Also the best is he has this motion censored ball, it scared the shit out of me last night! And as for bday parties I am planning my son first birthday here in a month and a half. Any suggestions?

You humble me. Of course, I am very grateful for my child, and that I am not away from her.

But seriously... the kiddie b-day parties are annoying, mostly because it's a celebration of kid that ain't yours, and your own 1-year-old is only there to satisfy the parents of the birthday kid! I'd prefer to spend my time with my own family, or with other families on terms that don't revolve around one kid's b-day.

Last edited:
Honestly, what would be the harm if you didn't go to all the kiddy parties. I didn't go to all the parties when I was a kid because my parents had to work all the time and I turned out all right. Well, maybe not, here I am still posting on this MB. Because I have no friends and I have not life. Just this keyboard. And this load AK-47. LOL!

I bet you wished you could of gone to one of those annoying birthday parties while deployed. It is kind of like the fact my brothers, sister, and I get annoyed with my dad calling us everyday but as one of my sister's friend said, she would love to talk to her dad just once who had passed away.
I never want to miss any of my son's birthdays and I will probably call him every day when he is older!

New Topics

Forum List

Back