Working class favor GOP by 58%

Poll echoes 1994 swing toward GOP - Spokesman.com - Oct. 7, 2010

What exactly do they expect will happen in the immediate future which will benefit their "working class" lives?

I'm geniunely puzzled.

I read "working class" to mean mainstream ppl who are working and those folks who are being taxed to death by a government who is against "private sector" enterprise, and who would soon have them dependent on a Nanny State, that Obama would throne. Then....Greece.

Why the U.S. Won't Be the Next Greece -- Despite Our Debts - DailyFinance

With repubs taking the house, you will see an immediate improvement in business and consumer confidence.

In other words democrats will no longer be able to make back room deals, limit debate and bribe members.

True, then the republicans will do it.

I agree, but not to the degree.

Are you kidding? It was the Republicans who managed to put through the biggest mandated entitlement program in 45 years and not even try to fund it: Medicare Prescription Drugs. What on earth leads you to believe they will suddenly change their tactics used to sway voters? If they start removing, or even diminishing, entitlement programs, they're dead.

At least Obamacare tried to show where eventually the program will be cost effective. (But not to worry. Republicans will soon control the appropriations, and health care reform is dead anyway, probably for another 20 years.)

First, there are no classes. It's a fantasy construct. It doesn't exist. All humans have to work to survive.

Second, Why on earth would anyone who works be happy with policies that are destroying their jobs and this economy and who refuse to actually address the problems with this nation: Overtaxation, Overspending, Overborrowing, and Overregulation of businesses.

We don't have a 'working', 'middle' or any other 'class'. We were founded as a free people where anyone can succeed. There should be no 'class' divides.... these are labels, created by politicians, to keep people focused on each other rather than on the politicians.

The ideology always sounds so sweet. But when the reality is that the top earning class (20%, or those earning more than $100,000 annually) received 49.4% of all income generated in the US in 2009, while the 14.3% of Americans living below the poverty line received 3.4% of income, how it SHOULD work kinda goes down the toilet.

According to the Census Bureau, the disparity between those at the top and those in poverty is the wideset recorded since the Bureau started tracking household income in 1967. How else would you define that other than "class warfare"??

Ironically, it's the middle class that takes the biggest hit because they are rarely afforded the same government benefits as those meeting the poverty level, yet they can't begin to compete with regard to the struggle to spread their incomes among the very same necessities that the wealthy can. The upper wage earners are given every tax break and/or subsidy to advance their own bottom lines even more.

You're interest in the private matters of others is petty jealousy. This is what I find most irritating with the left. You are consumed by jealousy. I do not recognize class - because it is nothing more than a political tool.... Politicians tell you it's not fair that someone has more than you. Guess what? Life is not fair. Live with it because it's not gonna change. The only thing that matters to politicians is keeping people focused on crap so they can continue robbing us all blind. Fuck that.

We don't have a 'working', 'middle' or any other 'class'. We were founded as a free people where anyone can succeed. There should be no 'class' divides.... these are labels, created by politicians, to keep people focused on each other rather than on the politicians.

The ideology always sounds so sweet. But when the reality is that the top earning class (20%, or those earning more than $100,000 annually) received 49.4% of all income generated in the US in 2009, while the 14.3% of Americans living below the poverty line received 3.4% of income, how it SHOULD work kinda goes down the toilet.

According to the Census Bureau, the disparity between those at the top and those in poverty is the wideset recorded since the Bureau started tracking household income in 1967. How else would you define that other than "class warfare"??

Ironically, it's the middle class that takes the biggest hit because they are rarely afforded the same government benefits as those meeting the poverty level, yet they can't begin to compete with regard to the struggle to spread their incomes among the very same necessities that the wealthy can. The upper wage earners are given every tax break and/or subsidy to advance their own bottom lines even more.

But it's not government's job to knock those high earners down, nor to bring you up.. each citizen has the freedom to do as they choose with their abilities, opportunities, education, etc... and you have the freedom to succeed or fail with that...

And eliminate all tax breaks.... of course in combination with eliminating the bullshit where ~50% do not pay any income taxes at all

It's ALL about the tax benefits for the wealthy. When there is a level playing field, "classes" will not enter into the picture hardly at all. As for those who pay no income tax, maybe there should be an even lower rate, and eliminate the subsidies. But as it stands, a single person earning $25,000 before taxes would pay a little over $3,000 which puts a big dent in that person's cash flow, whereas a wealthy individual can easily absorb five times that amount.

You can use all sorts of hypothetical income numbers to tally up basic tax obligations at this site, which will do the calculation for you. It's kind of fun.

Tax Brackets (Federal Income Tax Rates) 2000 through 2009 and 2010

First, there are no classes. It's a fantasy construct. It doesn't exist. All humans have to work to survive.

Second, Why on earth would anyone who works be happy with policies that are destroying their jobs and this economy and who refuse to actually address the problems with this nation: Overtaxation, Overspending, Overborrowing, and Overregulation of businesses.

Jobs and the economy were destroyed long before this administration took over by a combination of all of the above. Your litany gets into resolutions on myiad levels that are required for future debate. My OP asks what the Republicans will do in the IMMEDIATE future. So far, nothing. So my question remains: What is it that the "working class" believes Republicans will be helping them with tomorrow? Next month? Next year?

Working class used to mean laborors, I believe.

As this country has little production from labor and as union jobs often do not involve labor, minds are used in most jobs in the USA. We have little actual product contributing to GDP.

Some of those jobs involve much more thought than others, but fewer true labor positions exist today in the USA.

So, I would wager that there is less division of polital thought based on type of job than their used to be.

You're interest in the private matters of others is petty jealousy. This is what I find most irritating with the left. You are consumed by jealousy. I do not recognize class - because it is nothing more than a political tool.... Politicians tell you it's not fair that someone has more than you. Guess what? Life is not fair. Live with it because it's not gonna change. The only thing that matters to politicians is keeping people focused on crap so they can continue robbing us all blind. Fuck that.

Excuse me? Jealousy? I couldn't give a shit what some billionnaire hedge fund manager does with his money, except I want him to pay his fucking taxes on it. Got it?

But it's not government's job to knock those high earners down, nor to bring you up.. each citizen has the freedom to do as they choose with their abilities, opportunities, education, etc... and you have the freedom to succeed or fail with that...

And eliminate all tax breaks.... of course in combination with eliminating the bullshit where ~50% do not pay any income taxes at all

It's ALL about the tax benefits for the wealthy. When there is a level playing field, "classes" will not enter into the picture hardly at all. As for those who pay no income tax, maybe there should be an even lower rate, and eliminate the subsidies. But as it stands, a single person earning $25,000 before taxes would pay a little over $3,000 which puts a big dent in that person's cash flow, whereas a wealthy individual can easily absorb five times that amount.

You can use all sorts of hypothetical income numbers to tally up basic tax obligations at this site, which will do the calculation for you. It's kind of fun.

Yet funny... I don't support tax benefits for any.. I support equal % taxation on every dollar earned by every citizen... and while not all REPs support such a thing, I do not see ANY DEM supporting it

As this country has little production from labor and as union jobs often do not involve labor, minds are used in most jobs in the USA. We have little actual product contributing to GDP.

Some of those jobs involve much more thought than others, but fewer true labor positions exist today in the USA.

So, I would wager that there is less division of polital thought based on type of job than their used to be.

I would have thought so too, which is why I said I'm puzzled.

I would have thought so too, which is why I said I'm puzzled.
It's the political cycle. Displeasure with the current administration favors the other party.

Yet funny... I don't support tax benefits for any.. I support equal % taxation on every dollar earned by every citizen... and while not all REPs support such a thing, I do not see ANY DEM supporting it

A lot of Democrats support either a flat tax or a fair tax, but most just want a complete review and a complete overhaul to weed out the good from the bad and the ugly. The flat tax, as proposed, would still allow exemptions based on income (so here we go again). The fair tax would remove all other taxes of any kind whatsoever, and of course the danger with that is trying to calculate projected revenue. Treasury could come up ahead of the game or far short when the final tally is in. Eventually, something in between is probably what will happen.

Excuse me? Jealousy? I couldn't give a shit what some billionnaire hedge fund manager does with his money, except I want him to pay his fucking taxes on it. Got it?

Those billionaires carry the largest burden of taxes - and rightly so. Got it? But, they are not evil people.... nor are they a different 'class'. We, as a nation, were set up to be a classless society, one in which - no matter what your background - you could succeed. Class based societies are those in which you cannot move from a 'working' class to a 'middle' class. Those are not our ideals. Those terms are tools that politicians use to divide people. When, in fact, we should be united against the corrupt bastards who are destroying our nation. But, hey, as long as they have the right letter after their name, let's just keep whining about the other 'side'.

It is moronic.

Poll echoes 1994 swing toward GOP - Spokesman.com - Oct. 7, 2010

What exactly do they expect will happen in the immediate future which will benefit their "working class" lives?

I'm geniunely puzzled.

With repubs taking the house, you will see an immediate improvement in business and consumer confidence.

In other words democrats will no longer be able to make back room deals, limit debate and bribe members.

Isn't this PRECISELY how Bush got the sweetheart deal for big Pharma? Also known as MediCare Part D?

A lot of Democrats support either a flat tax or a fair tax, but most just want a complete review and a complete overhaul to weed out the good from the bad and the ugly. The flat tax, as proposed, would still allow exemptions based on income (so here we go again). The fair tax would remove all other taxes of any kind whatsoever, and of course the danger with that is trying to calculate projected revenue. Treasury could come up ahead of the game or far short when the final tally is in. Eventually, something in between is probably what will happen.

No.. they support a graduated tax in all cases... or a tax they label as flat, with exceptions for the lower incomes, which by definition is NOT a flat tax

I do not support anything in between.. as anything in between would be selective equal treatment

Those billionaires carry the largest burden of taxes - and rightly so. Got it? But, they are not evil people.... nor are they a different 'class'. We, as a nation, were set up to be a classless society, one in which - no matter what your background - you could succeed. Class based societies are those in which you cannot move from a 'working' class to a 'middle' class. Those are not our ideals. Those terms are tools that politicians use to divide people. When, in fact, we should be united against the corrupt bastards who are destroying our nation. But, hey, as long as they have the right letter after their name, let's just keep whining about the other 'side'.

It is moronic.

Then why did the Treasury shrink? The Statistics of Income data on tax-free, high incomes severely understate economic reality because they exclude deferral accounts, including those of hedge fund managers with billion-dollar incomes who can legally report no current income and borrow against their untaxed gains to live tax free. The tax cuts cost $1.8 trillion in the first eight years, according to an analysis by the Tax Policy Center, whose reliability the Bush administration went out of its way to praise.

No.. they support a graduated tax in all cases... or a tax they label as flat, with exceptions for the lower incomes, which by definition is NOT a flat tax

I do not support anything in between.. as anything in between would be selective equal treatment

As to who supports what, I'm not talking about Washington legislators. I'm talking about what the people want regarding tax reform.

Along the same lines, I was listening to NPR this morning and they were talking about this Harvard study on income inequality, and how 92% of American people (rich and poor) would rather have the income distribution of Sweden over the US. Did you know that 40% of Americans hold no wealth whatsoever in the form of assets, homes or cash? Do you really think this is a good thing for our country?

Study: Most Americans want wealth distribution similar to Sweden | Raw Story

Americans Underestimate U.S. Wealth Inequality : NPR

It is moronic.

Then why did the Treasury shrink? The Statistics of Income data on tax-free, high incomes severely understate economic reality because they exclude deferral accounts, including those of hedge fund managers with billion-dollar incomes who can legally report no current income and borrow against their untaxed gains to live tax free. The tax cuts cost $1.8 trillion in the first eight years, according to an analysis by the Tax Policy Center, whose reliability the Bush administration went out of its way to praise.

That type of analysis pins the bogometer due to its static pie nature. Lower taxes create a climate favorable to growth.

Federal Tax Receipts in 2000 were $2.0B

Federal Tax Receipts in 2008 were $2.5B

Based on the math I learned at a very young age, $2.5B is bigger than $2.0B. We had a dip in the early 00s due to the double whammy recessions of the dotcom crash and 9/11, bottoming out at $1.8M in receipts and then recovering.

The real problem is spending. Check out the accelerating in outlays.

ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/suppl/empsit.compaeu.txt

Forum List

Back