CDZ Work Ethic in the United States: Has It Changed?

Seems that anytime I transact business anymore, there are "issues". Delayed service, errors, etc.

Is this a worsening problem in the United States, or, am I just noticing it more in my "old age"?

It's rare that we go to a restaurant and get good service. Just last night, we were at a nice restaurant, the waitress forgot our silverware and gave us the wrong check. This is just one example, but, I would say without exaggeration that over half of any of our purchases, transactions etc. result in errors or problems, and, we have to check behind almost everything ....

I have noticed this too. Businesses are run extremely poorly because the owners are less in need of earning an honest dollar, due to the multi-layered subsidies they are offered by federal, state and Local governments.

Lesko.jpg

Businesses are run extremely poorly because the owners are less in need of earning an honest dollar, due to the multi-layered subsidies they are offered by federal, state and Local governments.
If the business is big enough. Small business doesn't typically get handouts. But tax breaks to bring in jobs isn't really a subsidy if that's what you're thinking of.

People want meaning and purpose in work, and to feel value.
I think the $ is secondary....

Seems that anytime I transact business anymore, there are "issues". Delayed service, errors, etc.

Is this a worsening problem in the United States, or, am I just noticing it more in my "old age"?

It's rare that we go to a restaurant and get good service. Just last night, we were at a nice restaurant, the waitress forgot our silverware and gave us the wrong check. This is just one example, but, I would say without exaggeration that over half of any of our purchases, transactions etc. result in errors or problems, and, we have to check behind almost everything ....
Maybe they don't like the looks of you.....or your preachy nature?
What do you think I look like?

Pasty complexion...

........ Multi-colored tights

.............Big toothy smile that says psycho?

>>>>

Nah I'm pretty tan lately from ball games and tennis... now in the winter.....
The only tights I own are black.
My teeth are straight and pretty :)
Psycho.... well....................... ;)

People want meaning and purpose in work, and to feel value.
I think the $ is secondary....
Hardly, I'm like a prostitute looking for the highest payer...

I see from your avatar you are catering to the male clientele ...
Whoever has the dough....
View attachment 45621
Never, sell yourself short..people may take advantage of you, but that is their weakness......

I would tend to disagree. I go out often with my family and tip big for good service, sometimes more than 50% I love to see their face and when they come back thinking it was an error, I am pleased to tell them how pleasant it was to be served by them. Sometimes that extra 20 is worth more in their possession than mine.

I was once a waitress and sucked at it. But I had to make more money to make ends meet. It's my pleasure to help someone out.

Recently, however, we stopped in a restaurant to get cooled down with cold drinks. The waitress asked us to move to the bar so she could serve others with more food. We said "No. we were paying customers too." Little did she know she lost out on a $40 tip. The waitress the night before got $100. I should have told her that before I left, lol.

Last edited:
Work Ethic in the United States: Has It Changed?
It depends on the individual. Some have strong work ethics while others wait for mom and dad to clean the basement for them. Liberals keep praising the $15 minimum when actually that is supposed to be a teenagers job to pay for car insurance, gas and spending money while at school.

They do not see the fallacy of continuing to give food stamps, public assistance to abled body people or at least to limit it to two years. Liberals, start reading our history. People worked for what the have. It is supposed to be the American way. Not Greece's.

I also am some what older, but still recall when Americans were told that computers and robotics would eliminate many ugly jobs and at the same time upgrade working conditions. Wonder if that maxed out thinking, at university level, had anything to do with todays problems? There is money to be made and sacks full of jobs for qualified workers, who are willing to dirty their hands. However, during the early years of computing many folks made good money for expertise. The children of those parents feel they should be paid as their mothers or fathers were, for doing even less. Ain't gonna happen. All of the freebie's have been taken and used up. Mean while, homes need painting, automobiles require repair as the throw away form of transportation did not work out, plumbers are required, electricians and carpenters and so on. All of those ugly jobs, non skill jobs, still remain. No way I will be a Postman sez Patrick! That is a crap job! People with seniority get all the good jobs! Not to mention attitudes. Why work? America is free, free, free as the immigrant said while requesting financial aid. Go to America, it is free. Could go on, but will not, gotta go complain to my wife about something. A little help here!

You are so right, I amso. There are scads of jobs for the person with a good work ethic. I need contractors, fence builders, tilers and such but can't get them because they are too busy! I live in an upper middle class home and my landscaper lives in the same subdivision. He must make very good money! I use an internet site to find my workers and the only ones that can come out when I need them are the workers with poor records.

So, for those who want to work, there are good jobs and they will find themselves living well. My son went to college, now works in an office with a 6 digit salary. We just went to a beach house for a vacation and he was still working every morning on conference calls and such. He's on call every night. Is it worth it? He loves his job but it has to be taxing. At least those in the trades have more time to themselves.

You are so right, I amso. There are scads of jobs for the person with a good work ethic. I need contractors, fence builders, tilers and such but can't get them because they are too busy! I live in an upper middle class home and my landscaper lives in the same subdivision. He must make very good money! I use an internet site to find my workers and the only ones that can come out when I need them are the workers with poor records.

So, for those who want to work, there are good jobs and they will find themselves living well. My son went to college, now works in an office with a 6 digit salary. We just went to a beach house for a vacation and he was still working every morning on conference calls and such. He's on call every night. Is it worth it? He loves his job but it has to be taxing. At least those in the trades have more time to themselves.

I amso IR responds

Thank you kindly for responding. So many people are losing out on seeing and feeling good about what they can do and produce. I spent my entire life working and getting dirty. I made a decent living and felt good about it. We are secure and now elderly. It seems everyone wants to start at the top. They have no idea how to do it or the responsibility involved at being at the top. And to get that knowledge you start at the bottom, digging holes or as a junior exec. Time in service is necessary, that is the key. Should one have a business degree, expect to start at the bottom and learn from experience and the experienced juniors. They can make you or break you. The only person who starts at the top is the owner and he or she has no choice in the matter. Thanks again for the kind words.

I amso IR responds

Thank you kindly for responding. So many people are losing out on seeing and feeling good about what they can do and produce. I spent my entire life working and getting dirty. I made a decent living and felt good about it. We are secure and now elderly. It seems everyone wants to start at the top. They have no idea how to do it or the responsibility involved at being at the top. And to get that knowledge you start at the bottom, digging holes or as a junior exec. Time in service is necessary, that is the key. Should one have a business degree, expect to start at the bottom and learn from experience and the experienced juniors. They can make you or break you. The only person who starts at the top is the owner and he or she has no choice in the matter. Thanks again for the kind words.

You are a good person, Iamso IR. You did thinks the right way as did my family. We need to pass this on to our children. Thank you for your post.

Some people think they should be getting rich by having a small business
I know what you mean. I've seen countless small businesses open, run for a few months, then close. These businesses were doing passably well - not great, but decent. I figure that was either due to not knowing what kind of hassles they were getting themselves into, or they were too impatient and were expecting record profits right off the bat. My money would be on the latter.

I know what you mean. I've seen countless small businesses open, run for a few months, then close. These businesses were doing passably well - not great, but decent. I figure that was either due to not knowing what kind of hassles they were getting themselves into, or they were too impatient and were expecting record profits right off the bat. My money would be on the latter.
I was in the sign business for many years and it was my bread and butter, businesses coming, then going, new ones need signs. Many seemed to think they'd open a store front, train a manager and sit on the beach in Hawaii sipping umbrella drinks while the checks come in.

My long term best customers were contractors though, lived in the real world and knew what could go wrong would and had to be there to run the show.

I was in the sign business for many years and it was my bread and butter, businesses coming, then going, new ones need signs. Many seemed to think they'd open a store front, train a manager and sit on the beach in Hawaii sipping umbrella drinks while the checks come in.

My long term best customers were contractors though, lived in the real world and knew what could go wrong would and had to be there to run the show.
I heard somewhere, don't remember exactly where, that any newly opened business should plan for at least six months of operating in the red before they should expect their first profits. That makes sense since it takes time for word to get around and for a good customer base to be established.
The businesses I mentioned were rarely open longer than that "six months", by the way.

Forum List

Back