Womens With Chops

The original "girl singer" with Jefferson Airplane, Signe Toly Anderson

Jefferson Airplane- Chauffeur Blues(Live At Winterland, 10/11/66)

Wow, I didn't know Grace Slick went to Paly, the high school I graduated from in 1978. She also like me has a parent descended from the Pilgrims. My grandmother was a direct descendent of John Howland, a famous Pilgrim.

Grace Slick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Grace Barnett Wing was born October 30, 1939, in Highland Park, Illinois, to Ivan W. Wing (1907–1987), of Norwegian and Swedishdescent, and Virginia (née Barnett; 1910-1984), a lineal descendantof passengers of the Mayflower.[1] In 1949 her brother Chris was born.[2] Her father, working in the investment banking sector for Weeden and Company, was transferred several times when she was a child and, in addition to the Chicago area, she lived in Los Angeles and San Francisco, before her family finally settled in Palo Alto, California, south of San Francisco, in the early 1950s.

Wing attended Palo Alto Senior High School before switching to Castilleja High School, a private all-girls school in Palo Alto.

Last edited:
Tal Wilkenfield (bs) with Jeff Beck --- solo about 1:33....

She's uh, 19 years old...
shakehead.gif

She's fucking awesome!!!!! Vinny Colaiuta was Zappa's favorite and best drummer

Check out Luna ripping on the Korean zither.....

Doublin' down....

Last edited:
I love everything this woman does. Everything. She could fart into the mic and it would sound good.

Saw Chrissy Hind without the Pretenders a couple years ago. Looked great sounded fabulous.
Funny story, the last time I had seen her was when she sang the National Anthem at the first game of the 1995 World Series in Cleveland. When she walked out to home plate to sing I was hanging off the upper deck and let out a "Hey Chrissy" as loud as I could and she glanced up in my direction. I'm still a hero to my buddies. LOL

Check out Luna ripping on the Korean zither.....

Doublin' down....

Apparently she switches between the two for the key changes (Dm/C#m) as her instrument has to be tuned diatonically lest it get too busy with string population. But she makes it look so effortless, doesn't she?

Check out this riffing on Stevie Ray Vaughn... it's outstanding
shakehead.gif

The instrument looks very much like a gu zheng (Chinese) except it's got higher bridges. I used to have one and never put the time into it. The bridges ar movable (I assume, same as the gu zheng) so you would tune it for the desired key.

Forum List

Back