Womens With Chops

Ah, I just remembered where I've seen her before -- Carolina Chocolate Drops. Twelve or so years ago.
A real original.

If you are interested, Leyla played a concert in Paris that was recorded by Arte Concert in France.

11887944_1049329021744024_2040497901440567007_n.jpg

Leyla McCalla au musée du quai Branly

Ah, I just remembered where I've seen her before -- Carolina Chocolate Drops. Twelve or so years ago.
A real original.

If you are interested, Leyla played a concert in Paris that was recorded by Arte Concert in France.

Yeah I caught some of it on a tangent link from your last. That one showed her close up and it finally occurred to me that she looked familiar. I saw the Chocolate Drops at the New Orleans JazzFest about -- maybe a dozen years ago. I think Leyla had just joined then.

A real original.

Yeah I caught some of it on a tangent link from your last. That one showed her close up and it finally occurred to me that she looked familiar. I saw the Chocolate Drops at the New Orleans JazzFest about -- maybe a dozen years ago. I think Leyla had just joined then.

Leyla played with the Chocolate Drops for about 2 1/2 years when she and Dom Flemons left to go solo at the end of 2013.

Rhiannon Giddens, founding member and lead singer for the Chocolate Drops, is a trained opera singer and spent the first few years of her career in that field. Leyla McCalla, on the other hand, has a degree in classical cello performance and chamber music. So they approach music from a different angle.

After Leyla and Dom left, Rhiannon reconstituted the Chocolate Drops. However she had the opportunity to go solo a few months later. She expanded the Chocolate Drops and they are now her backup. It is an excellent band.

Rhiannon Giddens is one of the premier singers of our time. She is a woman with chops.

Thanks for the post but I have to say I'm not impressed with this playing at all.
However the lefthanded player reminded me of another one who belongs here -- Elizabeth Cotten. Libby was lefthanded and learned to play a righthanded instrument upside down, which means inventing entire new roles for the fingers. She learned by sneaking her brother's banjo out while he was out of the house -- but had to figure out on her own how to play it lefthanded. And she did.

I got to see Libby in the mid-1980s when she was in her 90s. :bow2:

Forum List

Back