Women of the Bible: Rachel and Leah

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
This is a funny story with a good message of Evvy, Laban suckered Jacob to work for him for 7 years for his gorgeous daughter Rachel and on Jacobs wedding night, Laban gave him his ugly daughter Leah..

Let’s look at the story of Leah and Rachel, two sisters whose envy gets the best of them

Jacob (fleeing the wrath of his brother, Esau) married both daughters of his uncle Laban. But his marriage to the elder sister, Leah, came not by choice but by trickery (Genesis 29:16-30).

Leah, the pawn in someone else's trickery, must live out her life married to a man who did not love her, did not choose her, did not want her. Every day she faced the fact that her husband loved her younger sister, not her.

Rachel, the younger sister, appeared to have everything going for her except her ability to bear children. Leah, her older sister, seemed to have no problem getting pregnant. Every day for more than a decade she heard the sound of her sister's children outside her tent, and she yearned for a child of her own.

The rivalry between the two sisters existed because each one wanted what the other had.

Leah wanted Jacob's love, expressed in the naming of her sons:

"Now therefore my husband will love me" after firstborn Reuben's birth (Genesis 29:32).

"Because the Lord has heard that I am unloved. He has therefore given me this son also" after Simeon's birth (Genesis 29:33).

"Now this time my husband will become attached to me, because I have borne him three sons" after Levi's birth (Genesis 29:34).

"Now I will praise the Lord" after Judah's birth (Genesis 29:35).

"God has given me my hire, because I have given my maid to my husband" after Issachar's birth (Genesis 30:18).

"God has endowed me with a good endowment; now my husband will dwell with me, because I have borne him six sons" after Zebulun's birth (Genesis 30:20).

"Now when Rachel saw that she bore Jacob no children, Rachel envied her sister, and said to Jacob, 'Give me children, or else I die!' " (Genesis 30:1). Jacob became angry with Rachel, insisting that her problem wasn't his fault. When Rachel saw Leah's son Reuben bringing mandrakes (love apples) to his mother from the field, she bargained with Leah for them, hoping that the "magical" fruit would enable her to conceive. Leah retorted, "Is it a small matter that you have taken away my husband? Would you take away my son's mandrakes also?" (Genesis 30:14-15). But even the mandrakes Leah gave Rachel (in exchange for sleeping again with Jacob) did not produce a son for Rachel.

Forum List

Back