Woman's gun may have saved her life

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MtnBiker, Mar 20, 2004.

1. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Farmington Hills Police Chief William Dwyer stands with the woman who saved herself from being a victim of an armed robbery by using a gun she carried legally. The woman, named Angela, asked that her last name and hometown be withheld to protect her identity. Dwyer is holding the 9-millimeter handgun the suspect carried. -The Daily Oakland Press / STEPHEN FRYE

Four years ago, she was helpless as a man robbed her at gunpoint. On Friday, legally armed with a handgun, she may have saved her life.
    And Farmington Hills Police Chief William Dwyer, who dreaded a change in the law in 2001 to make it easier to receive a concealed weapons permit, admits that he's changing his mind about that law.

Dwyer said the woman could easily have been killed after she was targeted by a couple looking for an easy score. They were waiting at 6:30 a.m. outside an office building at the southeast corner of 12 Mile and Drake roads.

Angela, a married mother of two, was arriving at the office where she has worked for six years. She asked that her last name and hometown not be made public.

She saw a car in the lot that she did not recognize, with two people inside, putting her on her guard. When she left her car, a man got out of that car and walked toward her.

He passed the entrance to the building and continued toward her. The man came within 10 feet of her, and she knew she had to act.

"I didn't get a chance to get in the office," she said. "He had his hands in his pocket with his hood pulled up. I opened my purse and pulled my gun out.

"I felt my life was in trouble. The first instinct was to pull out my gun."

The man turned tail and walked away, and the car pulled up to him near the roadway. He jumped in and they drove off.

No shots were fired.

Dwyer said there was "no question" she was in trouble.

"She took the appropriate action," Dwyer said. "She probably saved her life. She is a very fortunate young lady. (Also) she did an excellent job as far as giving a description of the vehicle and the suspect. She's a very courageous young lady."

Her calm demeanor and quick thinking - she called police from her cell phone immediately after the suspect drove off - led police to the man and his female accomplice within a minute of the robbery attempt, Dwyer said.

He said the couple - a 21-year-old man and a 28-year-old woman from Detroit - would be charged with conspiracy to commit armed robbery.

Police confiscated a loaded 9 mm handgun from the couple's car. The man has several outstanding warrants and the woman was convicted for receiving stolen property.

Later Friday, Dwyer said a 28-year-old Southfield woman who knows Angela had been arrested for setting up her robbery.

Police are seeking a fourth suspect.

Dwyer, who as head of the state's police chief's association opposed the change in state law that made it easier for residents without criminal backgrounds to carry guns, acknowledges that the law has saved at least one person.

"I always said the CCW (Carrying a Concealed Weapon permit) legislation is somewhat controversial," he said. "I'm certainly rethinking it."

He credited her for taking the appropriate training and, equally important, using common sense.

"I'm just a woman," Angela said. "You hear about things like this. I didn't want to be a victim again."

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/stories/03202004/pol_20040320011.shtml

2. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    This happens way more than you read about in the papers. The NRA estimates that guns prevent about 2 million crimes a year. Their numbers are probably a little high, but even if you half their estimate, that's one million crimes a year averted by people packing heat.

3. Aquarian

Aquarian Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    "an armed society is a polite society"
    -robert heinlein

4. Johnney

Johnney Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    outstanding!! :clap:
    another sensless criminal denied his past time by a LEGALLY armed citizen.

5. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Kick ass.

Now, watch for the civil suit. Someone will claim their civil rights were violated. Boo hoo.

6. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    ..."You can get further with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone"

7. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    That's a good one Bully.

8. Johnney

Johnney Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    a club of sorts works well also!

9. Syntax_Divinity

Syntax_Divinity Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Kick ass. I love stories like that. I do think that the NRA sometimes exaggerates somewhat in their statistics involving the number of crimes averted by legally armed citizens, but it's inspiring when we hear about it.

10. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    So are you in favor of private gun ownership and concealed weapons laws?