Woman of the Apocalypse

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
The Book of Revelation describes a troubling event in which a woman is wrapped up in the deadly influence of the Dragon and clothed vainly in the rays of the sun (as she waits for redemption).

Who could this woman be? The Virgin Mary? An airline stewardess? There are many theories, spiritual and secular, about who this woman could be or represent.

She is clearly not the Mysterious Harlot of Babylon who rides atop a beast of diadems upon thrones of kings and seduces men towards corruption.

Perhaps this wrapped-up 'patient woman' is someone trapped in capitalism; she has been depicted in a very famous William Blake painting (shown below).

Woman of the Apocalypse (Wikipedia)

blake.jpg

The events are not in chronological order that's why they're confusing
The woman clothed in the sun would be the Lord's church
The Moon represents lower churches.

The war iin heaven started earlier and represents satan convincing heavenly host to rebel against God and they were all cast down to the earth. They became the evil spirits Jesus dealt with in His mortal ministry.
The war on earth means that it's just a continuation of the war that satan started in heaven and continues on the earth today.
birth means start
The woman is the Church
The Manchild is the Kingdom of God on earth.
The Church in other words brings forth the kingdom of God,not vice versa.
The woman fleeing into the wilderness means the Gospel and the Church would not be around for a while. Apostacy. The catholic church was and is not God's church

The events are not in chronological order that's why they're confusing
The woman clothed in the sun would be the Lord's church
The Moon represents lower churches.

The war iin heaven started earlier and represents satan convincing heavenly host to rebel against God and they were all cast down to the earth. They became the evil spirits Jesus dealt with in His mortal ministry.
The war on earth means that it's just a continuation of the war that satan started in heaven and continues on the earth today.
birth means start
The woman is the Church
The Manchild is the Kingdom of God on earth.
The Church in other words brings forth the kingdom of God,not vice versa.
The woman fleeing into the wilderness means the Gospel and the Church would not be around for a while. Apostacy. The catholic church was and is not God's church

The woman clothed in the sun represents Israel clothed in the light of God, the law. The moon under her feet represents the world ruled by the lesser light, the law of the jungle (survival of the fittest, dog eat dog, eat or be eaten, buyer beware, etc.) The 12 stars represent the twelve tribes and the male child that she gave birth to that pissed off the dragon, Rome, was Jesus. The safe place in the wilderness represents the relative safety and freedom granted to the Jewish people to maintain a Jewish identity during the diaspora.

Last edited:
The Male Magi

Wow, well I wasn't thinking as deeply for the moment about the symbolic significance of the woman (i.e., does she represent Israel or Babylon?, etc.).

I was thinking about how the use of the word 'woman' from the Biblical citation could invoke ideas about gender consciousness as it relates to spiritual controversies.

For example, how do we view the 'experience' of women through the lens of male folly or sickness?

The Rape of Lucretia (Wikipedia)

prince.jpg ghoul.jpg

The Male Magi

Wow, well I wasn't thinking as deeply for the moment about the symbolic significance of the woman (i.e., does she represent Israel or Babylon?, etc.).

I was thinking about how the use of the word 'woman' from the Biblical citation could invoke ideas about gender consciousness as it relates to spiritual controversies.

For example, how do we view the 'experience' of women through the lens of male folly or sickness?

The Rape of Lucretia (Wikipedia)

View attachment 73226 View attachment 73227

You thought deeply enough about it to conclude that she was not the mysterious harlot of Babylon and then speculated whether she was someone wrapped up in capitalism. Now gender consciousness, how 'we' view the 'experience' of woman through the lens of male folly or sickness?

Um, no.

The Book of Revelation describes a troubling event in which a woman is wrapped up in the deadly influence of the Dragon and clothed vainly in the rays of the sun (as she waits for redemption).

Who could this woman be? The Virgin Mary? An airline stewardess? There are many theories, spiritual and secular, about who this woman could be or represent.

She is clearly not the Mysterious Harlot of Babylon who rides atop a beast of diadems upon thrones of kings and seduces men towards corruption.

Perhaps this wrapped-up 'patient woman' is someone trapped in capitalism; she has been depicted in a very famous William Blake painting (shown below).

View attachment 73162

A characterization of the church? If she was to bring forth "a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron," which sounds like Jesus, maybe the woman is the bride of Jesus or the church.

Gender Gruntwork

hobelim and GiveMeATicketToWork, your points are incisive and to the point, so I'll do my best to address them.

====

1. If the woman of the apocalypse is wrapped up in capitalism, how would women discuss such a complexity (i.e., gender-themed capitalism films such as Working Girl)?

2. If the woman of the apocalypse is the bride of Jesus, what is the relationship between the Christ and the dragon (since the archangel Michael directly deals with the dragon)?

====

In other words, shouldn't we talk about gender garishness? Otherwise, why point out poignant discriminations between the woman wrapped up in the dragon and the mysterious harlot of Babylon?

wg.jpg

Gender Gruntwork

hobelim and GiveMeATicketToWork, your points are incisive and to the point, so I'll do my best to address them.

====

1. If the woman of the apocalypse is wrapped up in capitalism, how would women discuss such a complexity (i.e., gender-themed capitalism films such as Working Girl)?

2. If the woman of the apocalypse is the bride of Jesus, what is the relationship between the Christ and the dragon (since the archangel Michael directly deals with the dragon)?

====

In other words, shouldn't we talk about gender garishness? Otherwise, why point out poignant discriminations between the woman wrapped up in the dragon and the mysterious harlot of Babylon?

View attachment 73281

Jesus is at the right hand of God, while the angel Michael takes God's light-work.

View attachment 73162
The woman is Israel.

View attachment 73162
The woman is Israel.

There is no Jew and Greek in Christ, Sir...Acts 10:34-35, NIV:

(34)Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism (35)but accepts from every nation the one who fears him and does what is right.

View attachment 73162
The woman is Israel.

(34)Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism (35)but accepts from every nation the one who fears him and does what is right.
But keep in mind that Israel has rejected the Messiah.

View attachment 73162
The woman is Israel.

I don't think that I will ever forget that. Jesus said (or here is Matt. 8:10-12:)

Matthew 8:10-12
English Standard Version (ESV)
(10)When Jesus heard this, he marveled and said to those who followed him, “Truly, I tell you, with no one in Israel have I found such faith. (11)I tell you, many will come from east and west and recline at table with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven, (12)while the sons of the kingdom will be thrown into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”

This was said before Acts 10:34-35...I'm not anti-Semetic...I just don't like it when people say God shows racial favoritism.

View attachment 73162
The woman is Israel.

I don't think that I will ever forget that. Jesus said (or here is Matt. 8:10-12:)

(10)When Jesus heard this, he marveled and said to those who followed him, “Truly, I tell you, with no one in Israel have I found such faith. (11)I tell you, many will come from east and west and recline at table with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven, (12)while the sons of the kingdom will be thrown into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”

This was said before Acts 10:34-35...I'm not anti-Semetic...I just don't like it when people say God shows racial favoritism.
But God does show favoritism. There are 22 verses where God has stated the Jews are His people.
I'm neither Jewish nor do I have issue with that. It is what it is.

View attachment 73162
The woman is Israel.

But God does show favoritism. There are 22 verses where God has stated the Jews are His people.

That's the Old Testament (as opposed to the NEW.) The Old is obsolete (Heb. 8:13.)

The NEW Testament says that there is no more racial favoritism.

The woman is Israel.

That's the Old Testament (as opposed to the NEW.) The Old is obsolete (Heb. 8:13.)

New Testament still shows favoritism.

Then I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God. And he cried with a loud voice to the four angels to whom it was granted to harm the earth and the sea, saying, “Do not harm the earth, the sea, or the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God on their foreheads.” And I heard the number of those who were sealed. One hundred and forty-four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel were sealed: of the tribe of Judah twelve thousand were sealed; of the tribe of Reuben twelve thousand were sealed; of the tribe of Gad twelve thousand were sealed; of the tribe of Asher twelve thousand were sealed; of the tribe of Naphtali twelve thousand were sealed; of the tribe of Manasseh twelve thousand were sealed; of the tribe of Simeon twelve thousand were sealed; of the tribe of Levi twelve thousand were sealed; of the tribe of Issachar twelve thousand were sealed; of the tribe of Zebulun twelve thousand were sealed; of the tribe of Joseph twelve thousand were sealed; of the tribe of Benjamin twelve thousand were sealed.

Then I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God. And he cried with a loud voice to the four angels to whom it was granted to harm the earth and the sea, saying, “Do not harm the earth, the sea, or the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God on their foreheads.” And I heard the number of those who were sealed. One hundred and forty-four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel were sealed: of the tribe of Judah twelve thousand were sealed; of the tribe of Reuben twelve thousand were sealed; of the tribe of Gad twelve thousand were sealed; of the tribe of Asher twelve thousand were sealed; of the tribe of Naphtali twelve thousand were sealed; of the tribe of Manasseh twelve thousand were sealed; of the tribe of Simeon twelve thousand were sealed; of the tribe of Levi twelve thousand were sealed; of the tribe of Issachar twelve thousand were sealed; of the tribe of Zebulun twelve thousand were sealed; of the tribe of Joseph twelve thousand were sealed; of the tribe of Benjamin twelve thousand were sealed.

The New Testament actually says that there is a New Israel who is Christ (Gal. 3:16.) It also says that the New Israel is those who believe in Christ (Gal. 3:29.) So Rev. 7 is actually referring to people who believe in Christ which obviously discounts the Jews.

Favoritism is now based on faith in Christ.

The New Testament actually says that there is a New Israel who is Christ (Gal. 3:16.) It also says that the New Israel is those who believe in Christ (Gal. 3:29.) So Rev. 7 is actually referring to people who believe in Christ which obviously discounts the Jews.

Yes, but as the sealing of 144,000 in Revelation are specifically identified as Jews, the Jews are still Gods chosen people.

Yes, but as the sealing of 144,000 in Revelation are specifically identified as Jews, the Jews are still Gods chosen people.

No, there is a New Israel, (who is) Christ and those who believe in Christ (Gal. 3:16, 29.) Rev. 7 refers to those who believe in Christ.

No, there is a New Israel, (who is) Christ and those who believe in Christ (Gal. 3:16, 29.) Rev. 7 refers to those who believe in Christ.
Do yourself a favor. List the tribes of the 144,000.

Do yourself a favor. List the tribes of the 144,000.

Those names now refer to members of the church (Gal.3:29.)

Forum List

Back