Woman fired from job after calling cops on black man for wearing socks in community pool

Woman fired from job after calling cops on black man for wearing socks in community pool

A white woman was let go from her job as a property manager on Thursday after she faced scrutiny for calling the police on a black man for wearing socks at a community pool in Memphis, Tenn., according to USA Today.
Riverset Apartments announced their decision to terminate Erica Walker after footage of the incident captured national attention.
Camry Porter, who shared a video of the incident on Facebook, told WMAC Action News 5 the incident was racially motivated, adding that they seemed to be the only black family at the pool.​

This kind of thing needs to stop. And only we American citizens can make it stop.

The gentleman should have removed his socks if wearing them in the pool was against pool rules. However, calling the police on the couple for failing to comply with simple rules--rather than having a conversation about resolving the conflict--was overkill. Calling the police only escalates the tone of the situation and isolates the person(s) on the receiving end of law enforcement intervention.

From what we see in the video, the couple was acting peaceful enough and seemed to remain calm. Should the pool lady have been fired? Give her some people skills improvement training, ban the couple from the pool for a few days, and then knock 5% off their next months rent for enduring a police encounter which can be highly stressful for any skin tone.
I admire your even approach. I also think it sucks. This needs to be called exactly what it is. She had no quarrel with the white people breaking the dress code. Just the one black family.

It was a racist ass trying to remove the brown blemish from her white vista.

Nonsense.....never heard of 'slip, slop, slap"....there are very good reasons for wearing a t-shirt while swimming. Socks? Nope.

LOOK!! No socks!!!

Greg

I know this guy has heard it, I did for twelve years in sports at school, no black socks.. I've heard chicks tell me, no black socks with sandals...and I know that that guy has heard it also...But there they are, black socks, no wonder he got the heat..

When I played football, our home game socks were black

A white woman was let go from her job as a property manager on Thursday after she faced scrutiny for calling the police on a black man for wearing socks at a community pool in Memphis, Tenn., according to USA Today.
Riverset Apartments announced their decision to terminate Erica Walker after footage of the incident captured national attention.
Camry Porter, who shared a video of the incident on Facebook, told WMAC Action News 5 the incident was racially motivated, adding that they seemed to be the only black family at the pool.​
Maybe he has psoriasis. Maybe he just wanted to protect his feet. The manager is an idiot.
No she's not. There are real reasons there are dress codes for the pool.
She handled it stupidly. He is a tenant. He and his family. If she cannot handle a dude with socks holding his kid on a hot day at a nice cool pool, then she cannot handle other problems that may arise as property manager. This I know from over 45 years experience of the same job.
Like I said..she is an idiot. I would have fired her too. Or...sent her to public relations school and got an assistant manager in there while she learned.

However, your own mileages may vary.

edited to add: Maybe they let her go because of prior problems with how she handles things. Maybe it was not just this one instance of her being an idiot. Who knows.

Whatever it is I'll wait for the Court Case. Sounds like there'll be one. There are strict rules here at Community (Council) pools about attire and stuff. It's not difficult to follow the rules.

Greg

Rather than socks wise people wear water shoes which is acceptable everywhere and works way better.

My very first job at age 16 was working as a cashier at a local swimming pool and I can tell you that there are very good safety and health reasons for all of the rules that the pools have and enforce. A community pool doesn't have the same facilities that the public pool does but the underlying reasons for them are the same - only bathing attire to be worn in the pool, no spitting, running or glass containers on deck. And the public pools require you to get under the shower before getting into the pool.

There is absolutely no reason for anyone to have their dirty socks in the pool and yeah if they're on your feet then they're not considered to be clean.

So as far as I’m concerned they were both wrong but it also seems as if the woman at the pool hadn’t been trained on what to do if someone refused to accept her authority or refuses to comply with her instructions as the “pool monitor”. Loss of pool privileges, being found to have violated a term of a lease or HOA rules and being assessed whatever penalty or punishment that involves would be appropriate responses in my opinion. Calling the police on someone who isn’t violating the law and hasn’t committed a crime is what generally causes me to side with the person who hadn’t violated the law.

It was dumb ass of the lady to call the police. They sure don't need their time wasted on petty stuff like dress codes.
I dont mind her being fired at all. She raised the stakes in the matter and gets the fall out for that.

The ex-manager was trying to get rid of them, so that her and her friends can have the pool to themselves. Most people wears socks in the pool, it is because that they are ashamed of the way that their feet looks. And so they keep their feet covered like the way the ex-manager's friends were wearing caps, that weren't allowed in the pool as well. It is to hide the fact that they are balding. Her friends were in agreement with her. They could of have told their friend, the ex-manager to leave them alone. But they went off and let her to stir up a ruckus, especially in front of the tenants' child.
I know that companies cannot afford to pay more to hire classier people to manage their apartment complexes. That they can only get poor trashy people from the hills or trailer park to do that type of work, that pays minimum wage.
The news media in that town, should make sure to keep showing that video, over and over on T.V. And at the end, say she has been fired. And display posters and display it on bulletin boards of her all around the city, showing that she was fired. So then she will be known as the fired lady of Memphis.

Forum List

Back