Woman fired from job after calling cops on black man for wearing socks in community pool

Woman fired from job after calling cops on black man for wearing socks in community pool

A white woman was let go from her job as a property manager on Thursday after she faced scrutiny for calling the police on a black man for wearing socks at a community pool in Memphis, Tenn., according to USA Today.
Riverset Apartments announced their decision to terminate Erica Walker after footage of the incident captured national attention.
Camry Porter, who shared a video of the incident on Facebook, told WMAC Action News 5 the incident was racially motivated, adding that they seemed to be the only black family at the pool.​
Maybe he has psoriasis. Maybe he just wanted to protect his feet. The manager is an idiot.

A white woman was let go from her job as a property manager on Thursday after she faced scrutiny for calling the police on a black man for wearing socks at a community pool in Memphis, Tenn., according to USA Today.
Riverset Apartments announced their decision to terminate Erica Walker after footage of the incident captured national attention.
Camry Porter, who shared a video of the incident on Facebook, told WMAC Action News 5 the incident was racially motivated, adding that they seemed to be the only black family at the pool.​

This kind of thing needs to stop. And only we American citizens can make it stop.

The gentleman should have removed his socks if wearing them in the pool was against pool rules. However, calling the police on the couple for failing to comply with simple rules--rather than having a conversation about resolving the conflict--was overkill. Calling the police only escalates the tone of the situation and isolates the person(s) on the receiving end of law enforcement intervention.

From what we see in the video, the couple was acting peaceful enough and seemed to remain calm. Should the pool lady have been fired? Give her some people skills improvement training, ban the couple from the pool for a few days, and then knock 5% off their next months rent for enduring a police encounter which can be highly stressful for any skin tone.

This kind of thing needs to stop. And only we American citizens can make it stop.

The gentleman should have removed his socks if wearing them in the pool was against pool rules. However, calling the police on the couple for failing to comply with simple rules--rather than having a conversation about resolving the conflict--was overkill. Calling the police only escalates the tone of the situation and isolates the person(s) on the receiving end of law enforcement intervention.

From what we see in the video, the couple was acting peaceful enough and seemed to remain calm. Should the pool lady have been fired? Give her some people skills improvement training, ban the couple from the pool for a few days, and then knock 5% off their next months rent for enduring a police encounter which can be highly stressful for any skin tone.
I admire your even approach. I also think it sucks. This needs to be called exactly what it is. She had no quarrel with the white people breaking the dress code. Just the one black family.

It was a racist ass trying to remove the brown blemish from her white vista.

I'll grant you that some people are afraid of what they don't understand. However, that works both ways. I also genuinely think, by the look on the pool woman's face, her reaction was also about having her authority challenged. I can't stand the HOA people in my complex. Tyrants. All of them.

Maybe he has psoriasis. Maybe he just wanted to protect his feet. The manager is an idiot.
If he must wear socks then he cannot go in the pool. No matter the reason.

If he must wear socks then he cannot go in the pool. No matter the reason.
He wasn't in the pool. Sitting outside of it, feet dangling while holding his kid. Yes, his feet got wet. Big deal. I'd rather a dude with socks than a baby in diapers being paddled around the pool. Leakage.

No she's not. There are real reasons there are dress codes for the pool.

No she's not. There are real reasons there are dress codes for the pool.
She handled it stupidly. He is a tenant. He and his family. If she cannot handle a dude with socks holding his kid on a hot day at a nice cool pool, then she cannot handle other problems that may arise as property manager. This I know from over 45 years experience of the same job.
Like I said..she is an idiot. I would have fired her too. Or...sent her to public relations school and got an assistant manager in there while she learned.

However, your own mileages may vary.

edited to add: Maybe they let her go because of prior problems with how she handles things. Maybe it was not just this one instance of her being an idiot. Who knows.

The woman making the video not only spoke a segregated dialect rooted skin color -- fifty-plus years beyond civil rights -- but she made racial assumptions from a distance without possibly knowing the extent of the conversation.
That presumptuousness is blatant racism.

Was it socks? I saw no socks. I saw children swimming in tee shirts. I see nothing wrong with that.
When its an outdoor pool, some people need to wear shirts anyway.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. I will roast if I am out in the sun long enough. Sunscreen doesn't do a thing for me.
Roasted Holly, is this the food page.?

For those who don't get it:

(WASHINGTON, DC) – The DC Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) reminds patrons of the current DPR Swim Attire Requirements for all District pools; and provides a more illustrated guide.

The current requirements are as follows:

• All persons on the pool deck and/or swimming in the pool must have on proper swim attire.
  • All infants/toddlers that require a diaper must wear swimmer diapers and proper swimwear.
  • Clean cotton t-shirts and sarongs are allowed on the pool deck, however patrons must have on proper swim attire underneath.
  • The following attire is not allowed at District pools:
    • "Street clothes," Brazil/French-cut, thong style and/or revealing swim wear, cut-off jeans, jeans, skirts, shorts, sport bras, leotards, leggings, dri-fit wear, compression shorts and compression shirts are prohibited. Underwear and undergarments are not allowed to be worn under swimsuits.

Pool patrons often ask, "Why do I have to wear proper swimwear?" Here are just a few reasons as to why it is important to only wear pool attire in the pool.

1. Street clothes (especially cotton) can transport airborne and ultimately water borne contaminants into the pool.

2. Lycra and Nylon are the best non-absorbent material for swimming and are the best fabrics for proper swim attire.

• Other absorbent materials (such as cotton) can break down in the water and cause fibers to clog filters.

• Any “colored” material (unless specifically made for swimming) can bleed into the pool, affecting water chemistry and balance. This is also a reason for turbidity in pools.

3. Cotton and similar materials can absorb the chemicals in the water, causing the water to become less effective at maintaining the proper chemical balance or may cloud the water.

I know this guy has heard it, I did for twelve years in sports at school, no black socks.. I've heard chicks tell me, no black socks with sandals...and I know that that guy has heard it also...But there they are, black socks, no wonder he got the heat..

Fuck you. #blacksocksmasterrace

While wearing socks in a pool doesn’t make sense, the racist bitch deserved to be fired for not enforcing the rules equally, if it’s true that hats are also banned.

Was it socks? I saw no socks. I saw children swimming in tee shirts. I see nothing wrong with that.
When its an outdoor pool, some people need to wear shirts anyway.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. I will roast if I am out in the sun long enough. Sunscreen doesn't do a thing for me.
Roasted Holly, is this the food page.?
I got burnt three summers in a row and the first one was the worst of it. I went to the pool and didn't wear a shirt and when I putting on sunscreen, I completely forgot about my back. I don't know how bad it looked, but I will never forget how bad it felt.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. I burnt my face the next two summers. Puss came out of my nose, cheeks, and forehead the first time and one of my eyes was swelled half way shut the following summer.

Not that I particularly agree with the chick in this specific case, it should be noted that generally speaking if a person doesn't follow the rules and instruction of the pool manager (person entrusted to enforce/monitor compliance) calling the police to deal with it is the recommended action of most businesses - its about liability.

Not that I particularly agree with the chick in this specific case, it should be noted that generally speaking if a person doesn't follow the rules and instruction of the pool manager (person entrusted to enforce/monitor compliance) calling the police to deal with it is the recommended action of most businesses - its about liability.

Fair point, but she apparently wasn’t enforcing the rules equally because there appeared to be some white men breaking the rules.

Fair point, but she apparently wasn’t enforcing the rules equally because there appeared to be some white men breaking the rules.

And that'd be why she was fired I presume.

Forum List

Back