Windows 7 Freexe ups, require hard reboot

zzzz

Just a regular American
Jul 24, 2010
Yountsville
I've been using windows 7 for alomst 16 months now and just in the last 2 months I've been experiencing freezeups. It freezes up doing security scans, large downloads and other things. I've went in and and turned off some startup apps I do not use and defragged, cleaned temp files, internet files and other things but it continues. It is not something that happens all the time just occaisionally but seems to be increasing.

I went to MS website and saw where many others are having the same problem. It appears that when you download MS updates some sort of conflict arrises with hardare or software already installed. I know I downloaded 14 updates the other day and the one big update failed. It has failed 3 times now.

Is anyone else having these problems with Windows 7?

Of course they are.
This is par for the course when operating a computer with Windows.

We have one Win 7 machine in our entire office. 2 weeks ago it started freezing up. Like you we had to hard crash it, would respond to nothing else. CTRL-ATL-DEL...nothing.
The only thing that worked was the mouse pointer will move.
The only thing that solved it for us was to wipe out the user, leaving only the administrator. And since Win 7 is a FREAKING NIGHTMARE on computers with multiple users - this was not fun. The IT guy spent 3-4 hours redoing everything.

It hasn't froze after that.

Of course they are.
This is par for the course when operating a computer with Windows.

We have one Win 7 machine in our entire office. 2 weeks ago it started freezing up. Like you we had to hard crash it, would respond to nothing else. CTRL-ATL-DEL...nothing.
The only thing that worked was the mouse pointer will move.
The only thing that solved it for us was to wipe out the user, leaving only the administrator. And since Win 7 is a FREAKING NIGHTMARE on computers with multiple users - this was not fun. The IT guy spent 3-4 hours redoing everything.

It hasn't froze after that.

I didn't think of that. I have 2 users set up, both administrative. The one I used just will not log on, it gets stuck in the circle spinning mode and I have to hard shut down. The other one works fine except for the occasional freezes. I have hesitated deleting the other one. I've already moved all the files to the new enviroment except for a couple of internet files. I'll go ahead and delete the other one. Problem is I like to have a backup enviroment in case something goes wrong with the original one just like what happened.

I've been using windows 7 for alomst 16 months now and just in the last 2 months I've been experiencing freezeups. It freezes up doing security scans, large downloads and other things. I've went in and and turned off some startup apps I do not use and defragged, cleaned temp files, internet files and other things but it continues. It is not something that happens all the time just occaisionally but seems to be increasing.

I went to MS website and saw where many others are having the same problem. It appears that when you download MS updates some sort of conflict arrises with hardare or software already installed. I know I downloaded 14 updates the other day and the one big update failed. It has failed 3 times now.

Have you tried using de-icer?

If you're using Dell products and you've upgraded to Win 7 (as opposed to the system coming with win 7 already installed) there can be some issues. I can't remember exactly what the update is called but Dell has BIOs and hardware updates available at their site. Some have to be loaded and installed in Compatibility Mode.

I have 0 problems with Windows 7, and have been using it since it came out. You probably have a lot of services running from installs, you should go through and make sure you disable all non Windows services from non security apps. I also went through and turned off some of the Windows services I do not use. I suggest this site for information on how to speed up your computer.

Windows 7 | Black Viper's Website | www.blackviper.com

If you're using Dell products and you've upgraded to Win 7 (as opposed to the system coming with win 7 already installed) there can be some issues. I can't remember exactly what the update is called but Dell has BIOs and hardware updates available at their site. Some have to be loaded and installed in Compatibility Mode.

It's a Studio XPS that was shipped with 7 installed. Freeze up isn't such a problem anymore. Maybe the auto updates patched the issue. I used to get locked up several times a day, now it's maybe a couple times a week.

Yeah- something about BIOS and also the battery/charger.

I was giving a PPT to a group, just praying that the thing would behave LOL.

7 upgraded overnight then refused to open...nice...real nice....i had to do a restore to use it....not so nice.....my son was using computer and erased it by accident (that child is a rock at times)...so i have been using firefox which the man had on the computer....so far i havent missed 7 at all

It's a Studio XPS that was shipped with 7 installed. Freeze up isn't such a problem anymore. Maybe the auto updates patched the issue. I used to get locked up several times a day, now it's maybe a couple times a week.

Yeah- something about BIOS and also the battery/charger.

I was giving a PPT to a group, just praying that the thing would behave LOL.

The only issue I have had with my Dell Inspiron is just after I boot up, when I click on an icon to open something it just gives me the spinning wheel for a couple of seconds then nothing happens. When I click on it the second time the app/game/etc opens normally. I've had no freeze up issues of any kind on any of my computers.

I almost forgot, just in case you're having some unknown hardware issues, Dell has a built in diagnostic tool in BIOs. Simply boot to BIOs and run the tool. It'll take about an hour and if you get any errors back just look it up online and it'll tell you what the problem is.

Freeze-ups, but none that require a hard reboot. I can usually shut down the frozen application, reopen it and I'm good. It happens at least a couple times a week.

Interesting.
I am reminded by this thread of "NT Desktop".
Most people, even a lot of geeks, have never heard of NT Desktop...for good reason - Microsoft buried it.
It was Microsoft's first attempt using the NTFS filing system in a desktop enviroment - it was also an absolute nightmare for IT staff everywhere.
It was a precursor to Windows XP.
Vista was Microsofts first attempt to produce a new "ground up" OS after XP. And anyone who had Vista probably felt like a guinea pig, and should have - because you were. Just like the early adopters of XP.
Windows 7 is MS's 2nd attempt - and therefore less buggy than Vista.
However there are still obvious problems, I looked around the net and found an incredible number of posts and blogs about application freezes in Win7...indicative of a memory problem.

The other clear and BIG issue in Win7 is permission problems. If you are a single user, you will likely have no issues. But if you are using Win7 in an office enviroment with more than one user - WHOLE different experience. I have seen some really solid Windows geeks bouncing their head against the walls trying to figure out wht the &%^*% does this application not work for user A - when it does everyone else - and the permission settings are identical.
So - it seems to me MS will have to address the memory allocation issue, and the permission issues.

the dreaded blue screen of death has morphed into ...'lockdown'.

I run XP on my home gaming comp. and will never give it up, I have the XP MS OS disc and will, when as it eventually will my HD goes down, I will not install win 7 or Vista or whatever horror they have cooked up at that time, I will install XP.

I run XP on my home gaming comp. and will never give it up, I have the XP MS OS disc and will, when as it eventually will my HD goes down, I will not install win 7 or Vista or whatever horror they have cooked up at that time, I will install XP.

With exception to Windows 2000, XP became MS's most reliable OS.
Great pain was experienced by early adopters. XP was a dog when it was first released - as every M$ system is.
M$ cannot widely release a beta like Linux does. No one will pay for a beta, and what if the beta was good? Who the hell would run out and buy Win7 if you have a perfectly good Win7 beta already running? Therefore they sell beta systems to unfortunate souls who buy too early.

With exception to Windows 2000, XP became MS's most reliable OS.
Great pain was experienced by early adopters. XP was a dog when it was first released - as every M$ system is.
M$ cannot widely release a beta like Linux does. No one will pay for a beta, and what if the beta was good? Who the hell would run out and buy Win7 if you have a perfectly good Win7 beta already running? Therefore they sell beta systems to unfortunate souls who buy too early.

I have vista on a laptop I bought last year, they would not put XP on it...i toyed with doing it myself but figured I would give it shot.....man did that decision blow. i am toying with wiping it.

I remember win 2K. I still have a comp around here i have not fired up a in years with that on it.....I cannot modify it though, I cannot upgrade anything.....:doubt:

7 upgraded overnight then refused to open...nice...real nice....i had to do a restore to use it....not so nice.....my son was using computer and erased it by accident (that child is a rock at times)...so i have been using firefox which the man had on the computer....so far i havent missed 7 at all
i'm pretty sure you are talking about IE(internet explorer) not windows 7

Forum List

Back