Windows 7 Freexe ups, require hard reboot

I used ME for years and was pleased with it.
ME was a dog
win 98B was the more stable
but win98C wasnt bad

ME was horrendous, but still not as bad as NT Workstation.
Win98B was the 2nd most stable M$ operating system, XP sp2 being ist.
The problem with Win98 was it was FULL of security holes. For Gods sake you could send someone an email and it could infect the computer even if you didn't open it.

I've been using windows 7 for alomst 16 months now and just in the last 2 months I've been experiencing freezeups. It freezes up doing security scans, large downloads and other things. I've went in and and turned off some startup apps I do not use and defragged, cleaned temp files, internet files and other things but it continues. It is not something that happens all the time just occaisionally but seems to be increasing.

I went to MS website and saw where many others are having the same problem. It appears that when you download MS updates some sort of conflict arrises with hardare or software already installed. I know I downloaded 14 updates the other day and the one big update failed. It has failed 3 times now.

Is anyone else having these problems with Windows 7?

If I start up mine, then restart it I am good all day, if not it is guaranteed to freeze up. The Blue screen message is that the 2nd board did not respond to the primary fast enough. PIA when you are in the middle of something. Again I will restart the Computer after being on it 5-15 minutes, and it is fine, when I fail to do that, I crash.

Wow this is actually a really good thread.

Windows 7 gave me a little grief; I bought it and it never loaded properly, so for the last I don't know how many months I've been using the free 60-day trial.

Works okay on my little HP laptop; and it works fine on my pc but it does freeze up terribly on that computer (it's a dell).

I have to have windows for school, so I have no choice. Except for the money I wasted BUYING it, it hasn't thrown me anything I haven't been able to cope with. It expired today, though. I have to see if I can trick them into giving me another free trial since it's too much work to figure out how the fuck to get what I paid for to work.

I have to have windows for school, so I have no choice. Except for the money I wasted BUYING it, it hasn't thrown me anything I haven't been able to cope with. It expired today, though. I have to see if I can trick them into giving me another free trial since it's too much work to figure out how the fuck to get what I paid for to work.

Go to the Dell site and download and install BIOs version A10. If you have one of the older BIOs versions that might be some of the problem you're experiencing.

On second thought since I don't know how old your dell is go to the Dell download site and use the model look up feature and it will give you an entire list of recommended and optional upgrades and downloads specific for your model. Most of the optionals you probably aren't going to need or want, they're mostly bloatware related. It will probably recommend the A10 BIOs version but if it doesn't get the highest version it does recommend.

Last edited:
Interesting.
I am reminded by this thread of "NT Desktop".
Most people, even a lot of geeks, have never heard of NT Desktop...for good reason - Microsoft buried it.
It was Microsoft's first attempt using the NTFS filing system in a desktop enviroment - it was also an absolute nightmare for IT staff everywhere.
It was a precursor to Windows XP.
LOL. I remember it.It was the first RC of Whistler (Windoze XP). I was on the Beta team at M$ back then. Once I saw the actual source code for Whistler I switched to Debian(various versions) and never used Microshit again.
Why would anyone in their right mind pay money for a product they know is defective before they even pay for it ?

I'm using an HP laptop. Windows 7 came with it and I really had no problems until the last couple of months. I have been having problems downloading the Windows 7 Service Pack 1 for x64-based Systems (KB976932). It took me 4 tries to get it downloaded without freezing and then it installed incorrectly. All the other updates, no problem. It also freezes up occaisionally when I do a defrag or full system virus scan. The freeze usually happens about 20 minutes or later in the process. The screen and mouse freeze and the I lose internet connection.

I have deleted the extra enviroment/user that I had and examined file usuage looking for a suspect file but do not see anything. I am thinking from what I have read that is is an update conflict. Unsure of what to do there but MS should be aware of the problem I would think.

I'm using an HP laptop. Windows 7 came with it and I really had no problems until the last couple of months. I have been having problems downloading the Windows 7 Service Pack 1 for x64-based Systems (KB976932). It took me 4 tries to get it downloaded without freezing and then it installed incorrectly. All the other updates, no problem. It also freezes up occaisionally when I do a defrag or full system virus scan. The freeze usually happens about 20 minutes or later in the process. The screen and mouse freeze and the I lose internet connection.

I have deleted the extra enviroment/user that I had and examined file usuage looking for a suspect file but do not see anything. I am thinking from what I have read that is is an update conflict. Unsure of what to do there but MS should be aware of the problem I would think.

Yep...there was a problem with SP1.
I heard that Norton and Win7 is a terrible combination - is that what you have?

I did the SP-1 for 64 bit two days ago on this (home built) machine. No problems and no problems since I loaded Win 7 on it around a month ago.
Oh I forgot, it wouldn't recognize my 10 year old 3 in 1 printer and there are no compatible drivers available.
As for my laptop, it hasn't been connected to the internet lately, we'll see today what happens when I turn it on here at the house.

I did the SP-1 for 64 bit two days ago on this (home built) machine. No problems and no problems since I loaded Win 7 on it around a month ago.
Oh I forgot, it wouldn't recognize my 10 year old 3 in 1 printer and there are no compatible drivers available.
As for my laptop, it hasn't been connected to the internet lately, we'll see today what happens when I turn it on here at the house.

I poked around other places today because this topic interested me.
It certainly seems that the home setup (one user and with a limited number of applications) and business machines with multiple users/VPN's/multiple applications and client/server systems - is two completely different things.

Nearly everything that I have read about Win7 is in 3 catagories:
1) 64 bit drivers for printers etc. that might only be a year old...with no recourse.
2) Permissions/sharing issues
3) Application freezing that also locks the whole system.

In other words - nearly identical to the problems with XP when it was first released. So...in a couple years Win7 will be smooth and reliable...and then they will release Win8 and "reboot" the process all over again.

I poked around other places today because this topic interested me.
It certainly seems that the home setup (one user and with a limited number of applications) and business machines with multiple users/VPN's/multiple applications and client/server systems - is two completely different things.

Nearly everything that I have read about Win7 is in 3 catagories:
1) 64 bit drivers for printers etc. that might only be a year old...with no recourse.
2) Permissions/sharing issues
3) Application freezing that also locks the whole system.

In other words - nearly identical to the problems with XP when it was first released. So...in a couple years Win7 will be smooth and reliable...and then they will release Win8 and "reboot" the process all over again.

True but my primary OS will still be Ubuntu. :lol:

my biggest problem with win7 and drivers was my webcam
logitech decided not to make supporting drivers for it

Yep, Yep...got a new Dell with WINDOWS 7 over Christmas and have continuous freexe ups requiring the Hard Boot...no CTRL/ALT/Delete to show, and shutdown an errant program HERE BY GOD.

The good news is the reboot takes very little time.:eusa_eh:

Yep, Yep...got a new Dell with WINDOWS 7 over Christmas and have continuous freexe ups requiring the Hard Boot...no CTRL/ALT/Delete to show, and shutdown an errant program HERE BY GOD.

The good news is the reboot takes very little time.:eusa_eh:
my laptop is HP and it came with XP
i wiped the drive and did a clean fresh install of win7 64 bit
the XP was only the 32 bit version so i didnt want any remnant of it left

I intend to stay with my Windows XP until it croaks. (no longer supported - no problem) Fairly reliable - unless the user goofs up.

Heard Windows Vista was a nightmare.

Uncle Ferd still tryin' to get the hang of Windows 95...
:confused:
Ballmer: 'Windows 8 is coming!'
May 27, 2011 -- Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer this week let slip what was already a poorly kept secret: Windows 8 will go on sale next year. But that's not a message Microsoft wants to let out so soon, apparently: The company issued a retraction shortly after Ballmer's speech.
Windows 7 had been the fastest-selling version of Windows ever, but sales started to slump last quarter. Knowledge that a new product is on its way may soften demand even further, analysts say. At a developers conference in Tokyo earlier this week, Ballmer spoke about Microsoft's current product successes as a launching point to talk about what he believes will be an even brighter future. When he came to Windows 7, he noted that the next version of Windows will be even better. "We're obviously hard at work on the next version of Windows," said Ballmer said, according to a transcript. "As we look forward to the next generation of Windows systems, which will come out next year, there's a whole lot more coming. As we progress through the year, you ought to expect to hear a lot about Windows 8. Windows 8 slates, tablets, PCs, a variety of different form factors."

Microsoft declined to comment to CNNMoney about Ballmer's remarks, but many news organizations received an amusing backtracking statement from the company's PR team earlier in the week. "It appears there was a misstatement," Microsoft's representatives told CNET, PC Magazine and others. "We are eagerly awaiting the next generation of Windows 7 hardware that will be available in the coming fiscal year. To date, we have yet to formally announce any timing or naming for the next version of Windows." Until this week, Microsoft's top brass have been unusually secretive about Windows 8. The company is typically is unafraid to discuss or even release beta versions to the public, but this time it's working quietly.

Ballmer's speech was even the first time a Microsoft executive publicly called the product "Windows 8." Microsoft hadn't officially confirmed the name of its next Windows iteration -- internally, Microsoft refers to it as "Windows.Next," though many Microsoft employees on LinkedIn refer to the new OS as Windows 8. It's understandable if Microsoft is hesitant to give consumers and businesses any reason to put off their purchases of Windows. But it's more than a little unusual that the company is going to such lengths as to call the CEO's long, articulate comment about Windows 8 a "misstatement."

Source

Forum List

Back