Wind farm fails to meet expectations

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Amid scrutiny, PGE overhauls flagship wind farm to address safety and reliability problems

PGE temporarily shuttered its Biglow Canyon wind farm last year after a massive blade from one of its towering turbines broke loose, launching the length of a football field and landing in a wheat field where workers had been delivering fertilizer hours earlier.

The newsroom’s investigation found the seemingly isolated blade incident was part of a wider set of maintenance problems and equipment failures that include regular oil leaks, transformer failures and fires, and plummeting equipment from overhead towers that can reach 90 miles per hour when falling.

Biglow Canyon’s energy output has never lived up to PGE’s original projections, and the newsroom’s investigation found that the availability of its Vestas turbines to produce energy has declined precipitously in recent years and the project’s rate of energy production was below neighboring wind farms of comparable age. Turbine downtime cuts into energy generation and the production-based lease payments landowners such as the McCulloughs receive for allowing the turbines on their property. It also reduces revenue from production tax credits that flow to eligible projects during their first 10 years of operation, and in PGE’s case, were credited to ratepayers.

Problems at Biglow Canyon continue. The utility has filed two reports with regulators since late August regarding a needle valve and hatch doors found near bases of three turbines. As recently as December, PGE informed landowners that 26 of its Siemens turbines were down due to a fault in a collector line, and that another two transformers had failed while crews were attempting to isolate the fault.

PGE said it has begun testing to diagnose the problem, and turbines will resume operation once repairs are complete.

Meanwhile, PGE’s action plan to prevent items from falling off its turbines is due to the state later this month. Regulators in November also issued new guidance to large wind farm operators statewide specifying what types of safety incidents must be reported, including falling items or projectiles from wind turbines.

Much more in article.

R.dce0eedf9f1c8e36fb03086c4618239c

A blight on the landscape.

I wonder how much that boondoggle has cost the taxpayer?

They can't even keep the front from falling off.

This Environmental Wacko "renewable" crap never lives up to expectations.

Engineers know this and these stupid wind farms and solar arrays would never be built if it was not for government subsidies and mandates.

Shitty technology. Just like L-I vehicles.

What a bad joke on the sheeple.
The puppet masters know they can never produce enough "renewable green energy" to replace our usage.
They can't even produce enough to meet basic demands.

The wind farms on land kill the birds & on the oceans kill the whales.
Good thing we have the "environmentalist" climate change deep thinkers in charge now

Care to explain the millions of deaths and long term health problems with the coal fired plants? One blade into an empty field of wheat.
I am an Environmental Engineer (PE) that specialized in air pollution abatement. I have cleaned up more air pollution in my 30 year career than ten thousand Environmental Wackos will see in their lifetimes. This is an area I know something about.

In general those studies that predict mortality due to air pollution from sources like coal fired plants are not worth the paper they are written on for the most part. Whenever those studies are taken to court they have failed to meet the snicker test because the assumptions used by the researchers are usually way out of whack with reality.

I am an Environmental Engineer (PE) that specialized in air pollution abatement. I have cleaned up more air pollution in my 30 year career than ten thousand Environmental Wackos will see in their lifetimes. This is an area I know something about.

In general those studies that predict mortality due to air pollution from sources like coal fired plants are not worth the paper they are written on for the most part. Whenever those studies are taken to court they have failed to meet the snicker test because the assumptions used by the researchers are usually way out of whack with reality.

Chemical Engineer here (PE) and I concur with this assessment.

What they do is take old data from before modern pollution controls that only covers impacts in an immediate area and then extrapolate those impacts to regional or even national scopes.

Chemical Engineer here (PE) and I concur with this assessment.

What they do is take old data from before modern pollution controls that only covers impacts in an immediate area and then extrapolate those impacts to regional or even national scopes.
The aerospace company I worked for took the EPA and a state environmental protection department to court on three denied air permits. In all three of the court cases the government lost because they failed to validate the studies they used to deny the permits.

The EPA has zero credibility when it comes to things like this.

Amid scrutiny, PGE overhauls flagship wind farm to address safety and reliability problems

PGE temporarily shuttered its Biglow Canyon wind farm last year after a massive blade from one of its towering turbines broke loose, launching the length of a football field and landing in a wheat field where workers had been delivering fertilizer hours earlier.

The newsroom’s investigation found the seemingly isolated blade incident was part of a wider set of maintenance problems and equipment failures that include regular oil leaks, transformer failures and fires, and plummeting equipment from overhead towers that can reach 90 miles per hour when falling.

Biglow Canyon’s energy output has never lived up to PGE’s original projections, and the newsroom’s investigation found that the availability of its Vestas turbines to produce energy has declined precipitously in recent years and the project’s rate of energy production was below neighboring wind farms of comparable age. Turbine downtime cuts into energy generation and the production-based lease payments landowners such as the McCulloughs receive for allowing the turbines on their property. It also reduces revenue from production tax credits that flow to eligible projects during their first 10 years of operation, and in PGE’s case, were credited to ratepayers.

Problems at Biglow Canyon continue. The utility has filed two reports with regulators since late August regarding a needle valve and hatch doors found near bases of three turbines. As recently as December, PGE informed landowners that 26 of its Siemens turbines were down due to a fault in a collector line, and that another two transformers had failed while crews were attempting to isolate the fault.

PGE said it has begun testing to diagnose the problem, and turbines will resume operation once repairs are complete.

Meanwhile, PGE’s action plan to prevent items from falling off its turbines is due to the state later this month. Regulators in November also issued new guidance to large wind farm operators statewide specifying what types of safety incidents must be reported, including falling items or projectiles from wind turbines.

Much more in article.

R.dce0eedf9f1c8e36fb03086c4618239c

A blight on the landscape.

I wonder how much that boondoggle has cost the taxpayer?

They can't even keep the front from falling off.
This is just one of numerous issues with these wind farms across the country. Nobody wants to count the carbon footprint for mining, processing materials, building the components, transporting them, assembling them, maintaining them or that every single turbine uses at least 80 gallons of petroleum as lubricant not to mention the plastic in their components is made from petroleum. It requires a large semi with a very long trailer to transport just one blade of the turbines.

And then there is the problem that the life expectancy of a wind turbine is between 20 and 30 years, and numerous wind farms have already outlived their usefulness, have been abandoned, and leave an ugly scar across the landscape. Most or all of the components are not recyclable and/or are not recycled.

An honest evaluation of these things is that net reduction of carbon footprints is pretty small overall if there is any reduction at all.
OIP.HmX7RS731TeFvoHdHUAkNAHaD4

OIP.QI4OrE-SOJ4nOFS82lu76gHaFF
OIP.Ix3vrkrE76krGfWIipoReAHaEK
OIP.29kotBDi0C4wISoM9YvCywHaE8

Wind/Solar contribute to less than 7% of US grid electricity.

Oooops

View attachment 748546
1674058310570.png

And this shows wind and solar by themselves at 12% and this is an old article. Additionally, that you think these numbers are trivial either indicates your ignorance or your willingness to be dishonest.

Last edited:
View attachment 748547

And this shows wind and solar by themselves at 12% and this is an old article. Additionally, that you think these numbers are trivial either indicates your ignorance or your willingness to be dishonest.
I'd rather have natural gas fired power plants to make up for that 12%....I don't care how many it would take.

We have one in my AO, lots of good paying jobs, and it's great for our tax base. Other than the steam you see at certain times you would not know it's there.

I'd rather have natural gas fired power plants to make up for that 12%....I don't care how many it would take.

We have one in my AO, lots of good paying jobs, and it's great for our tax base. Other than the steam you see at certain times you would not know it's there.
Wind and solar also create well paid jobs. And last time I checked, CO2 was transparent.

Meh, as long as the NG is flowing the plants are producing.....Wind/solar....Not so much on windless and cloudy days. That and they are a blight on the landscape and pick my pocket.
You think windmills and solar are a blight but have no problem with the effects of CO2. You're quite the environmentalist, eh

Not usually. They are always miles away from reality.

You think windmills and solar are a blight but have no problem with the effects of CO2. You're quite the environmentalist, eh

There IS no effect from CO2 other than feeding plants.

Forum List

Back