Wind and wave farms could affect Earth's energy balance

Freewill

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2011
I have wondered about this for some time. How much energy can be extracted from the wind before it has an effect? Or is it impossible for it to have an effect? I also wonder about the millions of gallons of water vapor cooling towers put into the air.

The idea that we can draw endless supplies of clean energy from the wind and waves just doesn't add up

WITNESS a howling gale or an ocean storm, and it's hard to believe that humans could make a dent in the awesome natural forces that created them. Yet that is the provocative suggestion of one physicist who has done the sums.

He concludes that it is a mistake to assume that energy sources like wind and waves are truly renewable. Build enough wind farms to replace fossil fuels, he says, and we could seriously deplete the energy available in the atmosphere, with consequences as dire as severe climate change.

Wind and wave farms could affect Earth s energy balance - environment - 30 March 2011 - New Scientist

I have wondered about this for some time. How much energy can be extracted from the wind before it has an effect? Or is it impossible for it to have an effect? I also wonder about the millions of gallons of water vapor cooling towers put into the air.

The idea that we can draw endless supplies of clean energy from the wind and waves just doesn't add up

WITNESS a howling gale or an ocean storm, and it's hard to believe that humans could make a dent in the awesome natural forces that created them. Yet that is the provocative suggestion of one physicist who has done the sums.

He concludes that it is a mistake to assume that energy sources like wind and waves are truly renewable. Build enough wind farms to replace fossil fuels, he says, and we could seriously deplete the energy available in the atmosphere, with consequences as dire as severe climate change.

Wind and wave farms could affect Earth s energy balance - environment - 30 March 2011 - New Scientist
Gee. I hope we get to see the little things inside UFO's first. I don't want life on Earth to be drastically altered before I get to see the big eyed little rascals from beyond. That would be a huge disappointment, don't ya think?

Interesting. Look forward to seeing this idea fleshed out. I would love to see some of the world's deserts reclaimed.

We have already acheived that with the GHGs we have put into the atmosphere. Wind, wave farms affect the overall atmosphere and the ocean? I don't think so.

We have already acheived that with the GHGs we have put into the atmosphere. Wind, wave farms affect the overall atmosphere and the ocean? I don't think so.
So, you're saying that when you take energy out of a system that it doesn't affect that system. Interesting, Dr. Rocks.
Interesting indeed. :slap:

Interesting. Look forward to seeing this idea fleshed out. I would love to see some of the world's deserts reclaimed.

Why would you "love" that?

Even though CO2 is good for plant life. And even though CO2 isn't the major player in GHGs you just don't think taking power from the wind is going to effect the climate, why not? In my opinion it is more logical that wind turbines and the water vapor given off by cooling towers effect the climate more then CO2.

Last edited:

Gee. I hope we get to see the little things inside UFO's first. I don't want life on Earth to be drastically altered before I get to see the big eyed little rascals from beyond. That would be a huge disappointment, don't ya think?

A few more beers or a few more hits on the crack pipe and you might get your wish.

Because obviously I do not like deserts

Because obviously I do not like deserts

LOL, good answer.

Even though CO2 is good for plant life. And even though CO2 isn't the major player in GHGs you just don't think taking power from the wind is going to effect the climate, why not? In my opinion it is more logical that wind turbines and the water vapor given off by cooling towers effect the climate more then CO2.
OK. That is what you think. And what do the people that actually have real knowledge of atmospheric physics think?

The Carbon Dioxide Greenhouse Effect

So, you're saying that when you take energy out of a system that it doesn't affect that system. Interesting, Dr. Rocks.
Consider the percentage of energy that the mills and wave generators take out of the whole system. You figure would have a two digit exponent with a - sign in front of it.

Boils down (hehe, all energy generation is just steam engines, the difference are only differences in what generates the heat which boils to turn the wheels generating the actual power,) to either:

Use less,

Or,

Make more energy generating facilities.

Think 'use less' makes more long-term sense.

Consider the percentage of energy that the mills and wave generators take out of the whole system. You figure would have a two digit exponent with a - sign in front of it.
But it's SOMETHING!

Consider the volumes of liquid and gaseous hydrocarbons transported via pipelines in this country, then calculated the spillage, and you'd probably come up with a similar two digit exponent with a - sign in front of it.

It doesn't matter if it's incalculable. What DOES matter is that we know not of the effects turbines, etc have on the environment. But you did just agree that they do have SOME effect.

By the time we seriously started effecting the earth's energy balance, we should be getting our energy from off-planet anyway.

OK. That is what you think. And what do the people that actually have real knowledge of atmospheric physics think?

What's funny is you actually think this link says something. It doesn't. It is a history of the "discovery" that CO2 is a GHG. It tells us nothing about what CO2 actually does. If you want to know what CO2 is for you have to talk to a botanist. Or, even better yet, let's see what the AGU has to say about it!

Impact of CO2 fertilization on maximum foliage cover across the globe's warm, arid environments
  • CO2 fertilisation;
  • AVHRR;
  • cover
[1] Satellite observations reveal a greening of the globe over recent decades. The role in this greening of the “CO2 fertilization” effect—the enhancement of photosynthesis due to rising CO2 levels—is yet to be established. The direct CO2 effect on vegetation should be most clearly expressed in warm, arid environments where water is the dominant limit to vegetation growth. Using gas exchange theory, we predict that the 14% increase in atmospheric CO2 (1982–2010) led to a 5 to 10% increase in green foliage cover in warm, arid environments. Satellite observations, analyzed to remove the effect of variations in precipitation, show that cover across these environments has increased by 11%. Our results confirm that the anticipated CO2 fertilization effect is occurring alongside ongoing anthropogenic perturbations to the carbon cycle and that the fertilization effect is now a significant land surface process.
Impact of CO2 fertilization on maximum foliage cover across the globe s warm arid environments - Donohue - 2013 - Geophysical Research Letters - Wiley Online Library

No one said that CO2 wasn't a ghg, where ever did you get that idea? But it isn't the number one greenhouse gas, that gas is exactly the one I said:
  • 1. Water Vapor

Water? Water?! Water! Yes, according to the IPCC, steam accounts for 36-70 percent of the greenhouse effect. Fog, haze and clouds are all water vapor, and steam is the other main byproduct of the combustion of fossil fuels. Worse still, warming causes a positive feedback loop as higher temperatures result in more water vapor, which results in higher temperatures, and so on and so on. Now the next time someone asks you about your carbon footprint, you can ask them about their steam footprint, and see if that patchouli-scented hippie knows the main cause behind the greenhouse effect.

• GHGas2.gif

Forum List

Back