Will The New Pope Blame Everything On The Last Pope?

Or four years down the line when the new Pope is acting honorably and fixing things will you pretend nothing good is happening?

It was good to see Pope Francis start off by offering a prayer for Benedict. The right sentiment, the right note.

Just wondering.

The Catholic church and the new Pope was complicit in dreadful crimes in Argentina.

As it happens, in the week before Christmas in the city of Córdoba Videla and some of his military and police cohorts were convicted by their country's courts of the murder of 31 people between April and October 1976, a small fraction of the killings they were responsible for. The convictions brought life sentences for some of the military. These were not to be served, as has often been the case in Argentina and neighbouring Chile, in comfy armed forces retirement homes but in common prisons. Unsurprisingly there was dancing in the city's streets when the judge announced the sentences.

What one did not hear from any senior member of the Argentinian hierarchy was any expression of regret for the church's collaboration and in these crimes. The extent of the church's complicity in the dark deeds was excellently set out by Horacio Verbitsky, one of Argentina's most notable journalists, in his book El Silencio (Silence). He recounts how the Argentinian navy with the connivance of Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, now the Jesuit archbishop of Buenos Aires, hid from a visiting delegation of the Inter-American Human Rights Commission the dictatorship's political prisoners. Bergoglio was hiding them in nothing less than his holiday home in an island called El Silencio in the River Plate. The most shaming thing for the church is that in such circumstances Bergoglio's name was allowed to go forward in the ballot to chose the successor of John Paul II

It was good to see Pope Francis start off by offering a prayer for Benedict. The right sentiment, the right note.

It would be nicer if he handed Ratzinger over for prosecution for his role in the hiding of pedophile priests...

Not that I give a shit about the corrupt, evil and stupid Catholic Church, but if I did, Ratzinger did more damage to it than a hoarde of atheists could ever hope to.

He's already started blaming it on homosexuality.

NOT on how power corrupted his homosexual sexually predatory cardinals, but instead on homosexuality in general was the cause of his Church's problems.

Apparently the aristos of the Church still don't quite get it.

He's already started blaming it on homosexuality.

NOT on how power corrupted his homosexual sexually predatory cardinals, but instead on homosexuality in general was the cause of his Church's problems.

Apparently the aristos of the Church still don't quite get it.

Uh.....does the church have classes on how to become a homosexual?

It would be nicer if he handed Ratzinger over for prosecution for his role in the hiding of pedophile priests...

Not that I give a shit about the corrupt, evil and stupid Catholic Church, but if I did, Ratzinger did more damage to it than a hoarde of atheists could ever hope to.

How exactly did Benedict make things worse? That scandal was already well known when he took office. Priests have since been prosecuted for the scandal.

How exactly did Benedict make things worse? That scandal was already well known when he took office. Priests have since been prosecuted for the scandal.

Do a little research on what Ratzinger did in his career before becoming pope. He intentionally hid priests, paid off families for their silence, etc.

Forum List

Back