Will obama issue an EO rewriting Amendment 22 and then run for a third term?

He has given himself authority to issue executive orders that rewrite laws passed by congress . He rewrote parts of obamacare after it passed congress and he has rewritten our immigration laws that ban illegals from living or working here. Is rewriting an amendment so different?

If he does it, you can be sure the TV and newspaper press will be on his side.
It would fit his stupidity.

The far right is simply pissed is that all they can do now is yell, and all their opponents have to do is laugh at them.

They call that being attacked.

He has given himself authority to issue executive orders that rewrite laws passed by congress . He rewrote parts of obamacare after it passed congress and he has rewritten our immigration laws that ban illegals from living or working here. Is rewriting an amendment so different?

Before he does that, Obama plans on writing an EO banning you from the internet.

I just made that up, so you know it is true.

With approval ratings below half I doubt the President wants to add 4 more years to his 'sentence.' :)

The 22nd amendment does not have the loopholes in it that allow the president wide latitudes in enforcement. When congress can't decide exactly how laws are to be implemented they include text that allows the president to make decision such in immigration law and environmental legislation. Much of what people think is written into the law is really written into regulations.

He doesn't need loopholes, you fool.. Obozo just rewrites laws and he could do the same with amendments. There is no loophole in our immigration laws that allows the president to issue work permits to illegals.

As for laws written by regulators - that is unconstitutional since the constitution says "all legislative powers herein granted shall be vested in a congress of the united states." Congress cannot transfer those powers to be the president or bureaucrats unless the states approve a constitutional amendment allowing the transfer.

You have no idea what you're talking about.
Take at look at the immigration legislation, healthcare law, environmental protection law. Congress holds ultimate authority but they create huge loopholes in the law. Clauses in laws such as "the secretary may for humanitarian reasons", or the president may in the public interest" allows the administration wide latitude in implementation of law.

Regulations written within the context of the law are as constitutional as the law itself. It's a bit ridiculous to expect that all details shall be included within the law.

Last edited:

With approval ratings below half I doubt the President wants to add 4 more years to his 'sentence.' :)
I think Martin Van Buren's comment describes pretty well how presidents feel about the office.

"As to the presidency, the two happiest days of my life were those of my entrance upon the office and my surrender of it".

With all due respect, Shoot...Barry will run for the exits as soon as this second term is over! He's never had a clue what he's doing as President and the rest of the world has finally figured that out. He wants out of the Oval Office so bad now that he can taste it.

For a guy who didn't know what he was doing he did a lot better than the previous President. He halved the deficit, lower spending, restored US some credibility, got Bin Laden.... There is a long list...

But I have to say his main achievement was to piss of the Hard Right... If you are pissing them off you must be doing something right.

With all due respect, Shoot...Barry will run for the exits as soon as this second term is over! He's never had a clue what he's doing as President and the rest of the world has finally figured that out. He wants out of the Oval Office so bad now that he can taste it.

For a guy who didn't know what he was doing he did a lot better than the previous President. He halved the deficit, lower spending, restored US some credibility, got Bin Laden.... There is a long list...

But I have to say his main achievement was to piss of the Hard Right... If you are pissing them off you must be doing something right.

You really believe that stuff, Ted? Amazing...

The 22nd amendment does not have the loopholes in it that allow the president wide latitudes in enforcement. When congress can't decide exactly how laws are to be implemented they include text that allows the president to make decision such in immigration law and environmental legislation. Much of what people think is written into the law is really written into regulations.

He doesn't need loopholes, you fool.. Obozo just rewrites laws and he could do the same with amendments. There is no loophole in our immigration laws that allows the president to issue work permits to illegals.

As for laws written by regulators - that is unconstitutional since the constitution says "all legislative powers herein granted shall be vested in a congress of the united states." Congress cannot transfer those powers to be the president or bureaucrats unless the states approve a constitutional amendment allowing the transfer.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

FDR attempted the Court Packing Scheme to bully the SCOTUS to create an arcane interpretation of Article I that allowed Congress to to transfer those powers to unelected officials.

Liberals always admit they are ashamed that FDR tried to pack the SCOTUS with more than 9 judges, but they'll never admit the second half of the horror story.

The first part is spot on, 2ndA, but your conclusion is not even close.

In a word. No.

Looka, I don't think he would either.... but seriously, what's to stop him, or anyone else for that matter?

It would take a new amendment to override it. Like prohibition.

It is a seriously stupid proposition.

Well.. stupid, yes to the extent I don't think Obama or anyone else would actually do it... but my point is, he hasn't the legal authority to make immigration law either, but he did. It is pretty clearly spelled out who has that authority, and it ain't the White House. But, a precedent has been established; and no, not necessarily by this President. The EO exists as a tool for the President to carry out the business of the country, in times of emergency.. not as matter of convenience, or, worse, to circumvent the process to get a desired result that one would not normally get by going through Congress.

Forum List

Back