Will Immigration Cause the GOP To Implode?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Right now it looks like the Dems are going to have to work overtime in order to salvage failure from the jaws of victory:

http://frum.nationalreview.com/archives/03272006.asp#093392

MAR. 27, 2006: NOW IS THE TIME FOR ALL GOOD MEN ...

My forebodings of a year ago seem to be taking on my reality every day: Immigration truly is emerging as an issue that can shatter the Republican party. The president is determined to thrust upon the party an amnesty/guestworker approach that is opposed by the overwhelming majority of the Republican rank-and-file. He has come to believe - and tells visitors to the White House - that party opposition to him is based on irrational fear, ignorance, and prejudice. (Just like Dubai! Or for that matter, Harriet Miers.)

If anything were calculated to solidify the perception that this administration scorns the values and concerns of the ordinary Republican - if anything were designed to discourage ordinary Republican from turning out in November 2006 - it is what this administration is doing now. At a moment when the president needs his maximum strength to see his foreign policy through to success, he is gambling everything on a wager he cannot win. His version of immigration reform can only pass Congress with Democratic votes, and there is zero possibiilty that the Democrats will help him - but every likelihood that they will egg him on to incite a Republican civil war on the issue that most bitterly divides the president's party.
07:23 AM

The grassroots of the GOP are not going to stand for Bush's BS immigration policy, which borders on outright amnesty. It's going to be a major issue in 2008.

Bush is off his rocker. On immigration, port deals, and other things. I'm wishing I hadn't have voted for him, for real.

And I won't be voting for Jeb Bush for President if that ever materializes. I've had enough of the Bush dynasty. Get 'em the hell otta there.

I'm thinking Newt for best Republican candidate that can WIN.

Pale Rider said:
Bush is off his rocker. On immigration, port deals, and other things. I'm wishing I hadn't have voted for him, for real.

And I won't be voting for Jeb Bush for President if that ever materializes. I've had enough of the Bush dynasty. Get 'em the hell otta there.

Agreed.

I voted for "41", my first voting-age election, damn proud to vote for a Republican on my maiden voyage. I then voted for Dole. I then voted for George W., in 2000. By the time '04 rolled around, I was damn peed at him an didn't bother voting for president (though I was living in Brooklyn, so it wouldn't have made much of a difference). I could have voted for Ted Kennedy and got more of a conservative.

Like Hank Hill says of Ronald Reagan, "I miss voting for that man."

dilloduck said:
i'm not sure but L.A. might implode unless the Hispanics can corral what's left of the weekend "protestors" who are presently doing whatever they can to block traffic in L.A.

No shit aye.

I don't know WHY the INS hasn't taken advantage of having so many illegals in one place at one time and rounded them up. When will they ever have such an opportunity again?

William Joyce said:
Agreed.

I voted for "41", my first voting-age election, damn proud to vote for a Republican on my maiden voyage. I then voted for Dole. I then voted for George W., in 2000. By the time '04 rolled around, I was damn peed at him an didn't bother voting for president (though I was living in Brooklyn, so it wouldn't have made much of a difference). I could have voted for Ted Kennedy and got more of a conservative.

Like Hank Hill says of Ronald Reagan, "I miss voting for that man."

Steve Forbes... :rock:

OCA said:
Well what exactly is Mr. Irrelevent's policy anyway? I for one happen to agree with the prez's approach.

Bush's 'virtual amnesty' program?? Please. That's why immigration is such an issue in the first place - the current leadership doesn't take it seriously.

gop_jeff said:
Bush's 'virtual amnesty' program?? Please. That's why immigration is such an issue in the first place - the current leadership doesn't take it seriously.

Problem is is that you guys are closing the barn door after the cows have gotten out. Now i'm all for sealing the border but i'm a realist and the reality is is you will never ever be able to deport all if any of illegals currently already in country, its logistically and financially impossible. so why not make em citizens, seal the border and put this divisive issue to rest before you destroy what is left of the GOP and let the Demos slip back into power. I know its a bitter pill to swallow but there is no other way.

And by the way, could you please tell me, can anyone tell me why immigration has not been an issue up until now since they have been coming over in the same numbers for decades now?

OCA said:
Problem is is that you guys are closing the barn door after the cows have gotten out. Now i'm all for sealing the border but i'm a realist and the reality is is you will never ever be able to deport all if any of illegals currently already in country, its logistically and financially impossible. so why not make em citizens, seal the border and put this divisive issue to rest before you destroy what is left of the GOP and let the Demos slip back into power. I know its a bitter pill to swallow but there is no other way.

And by the way, could you please tell me, can anyone tell me why immigration has not been an issue up until now since they have been coming over in the same numbers for decades now?

Seal the border? Fat chance--the Mexicans own it. Accept it--the war is all but over.

dilloduck said:
Seal the border? Fat chance--the Mexicans own it. Accept it--the war is all but over.

Well that is one who has come back to reality. Yes i'd like to see it sealed but since it probably won't be we should probably begin to welcome our new citizens.

A question: is America as a whole worth saving given all its problems and social ills?

Will the immigration issue cause the GOP to implode?...One can only hope.

Any Republican running for office is treating Dubbyuh like he's toxic waste. An Congressional Republican's are going to have a hard time distancing themselves from the Bush policies they've so cheerfully rubber-stamped for the last six years. The GOP is already eating its own. As I stand by and watch the carnage, I, almost, feel sorry for them.

Bullypulpit said:

Any Republican running for office is treating Dubbyuh like he's toxic waste. An Congressional Republican's are going to have a hard time distancing themselves from the Bush policies they've so cheerfully rubber-stamped for the last six years. The GOP is already eating its own. As I stand by and watch the carnage, I, almost, feel sorry for them.

Pay attention, Bully. Liberals live in the same country as conservatives. You think you're somehow immune to the consequences?

dilloduck said:
Pay attention, Bully. Liberals live in the same country as conservatives. You think you're somehow immune to the consequences?

<blockquote>Had "Goatboy" Clinton actually been looking out for the good of the nation instead of his next BJ, there would have been clauses to strengthen labor law and environmental protections added to NAFTA. Raise the boat for everyone instead of engaging in the race to the bottom we are now caught up in with governments south of the border.

You want to stop illegal immigration, start at the source.</blockquote>

From Mr.P's thread <a href=http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30466>Wake up AMERICA!</a>

Bullypulpit said:
<blockquote>Had "Goatboy" Clinton actually been looking out for the good of the nation instead of his next BJ, there would have been clauses to strengthen labor law and environmental protections added to NAFTA. Raise the boat for everyone instead of engaging in the race to the bottom we are now caught up in with governments south of the border.

You want to stop illegal immigration, start at the source.</blockquote>

From Mr.P's thread <a href=http://www.usmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30466>Wake up AMERICA!</a>

It's a little late to be blaming Clinton. Republicans AND Democrats are selling us down the river on this one. Laugh if you like but you better be prepared to swim with the Republicans.

Bullypulpit said:

Any Republican running for office is treating Dubbyuh like he's toxic waste. And Congressional Republican's are going to have a hard time distancing themselves from the Bush policies they've so cheerfully rubber-stamped for the last six years. The GOP is already eating its own. As I stand by and watch the carnage, I, almost, feel sorry for them.

As hard as that may be to admit, I think it's the truth.

The people in the border states want the borders shut down, NOW. And they could just be the swing vote for whoever it is in '08 running for President.

I WILL NOT vote for ANYONE for President, that doesn't say, "the borders will be sealed". I'll either write a vote in, or not vote at all.

The mexicans are invading our coutry, and we're just standing by and watching while it happens. And we have a President that wants to reward them for their invasion. What a SICKENING situation.

Forum List

Back