Will America's Underbelly Rear Its Ugly Head

And yet it does not bother you one bit that a large segment of the black population wont vote for McCain cause he is white. Go figure. I suspect more blacks then whites will be voting because of racism.

Weak.

African-americans always vote in high proportions for a Democrat.

They vote against republicans on issues: affirmative action, minimum wage, civil rights, health care.

Rationally discssing the effect that race is likely playing on the outcome of the election is hardly playing "the race card" champ.

Now I understand perfectly well that many people are not going to vote for O because they hate his policies.

But some people, and this is the question at hand, probably are not because of his race.

You taking umbrage with the discussion might lead some people to think you doth protest too much.

Racists exist. We all know it. They aren't all on the right, either. We know THAT too. There will be some racists who won't vote for Obama because he's black. A logical conclusion.

The REAL question here is: Will it make a difference?

My opinion is no. Even if some racist lefties refuse to vote for Obama, that does not mean they will automatically vote for McCain.

Let's look at the other side of the coin. How many people are going to vote for Obama just because he's black? I think I've seen that statement made a time or two. I KNOW I heard Farrakhan encouraging blacks to do just that during his Million Man March, and he has endorsed Obama.

To vote or not vote for a person based on race or gender is just stupid, IMO.

I don't live in Park Slope. I go there for the restaurants. David Yasskey isn't my councilman. You have to go further south to get to my part of the world.

I think the problem with "whites" professing they're underrepresented is that they've ALWAYS had ALL of the power. It isn't unreasonable for minorities to want to see "one of their own" as you put it because they've NEVER been represented.

You thinking that the whites who have held power have used it to benefit only white people is the MAJOR problem ! Never been represented ? What in the hell are you talking about. Your own WHITE democrats claim everyday how much they have helped blacks.

The most blatent examples of voting racist in this election are blacks. Tubbs Jones was called a traitor by many black groups for supporting Hillary, and she only kept her support because she promised her support before Obama was running. This election has shown us something that white males have known for a long time. Minorities are far more racist then whites and woman are far more sexist then men. Most DNC woman voted for Hillary, hmm I wonder if it was because they are so racist or or because they are so sexist? Ha! How does it feel dems to have Karma turn on you and find out you are the racist ones? Obviously anyone who was going to vote democrat but doesn't because Obama is black is a democrat and we all know democrats see the world through racial goggles so thats not suprising.

Well yeah, there's a lot of racism in this country.

You're aussie right? Can I ask you a question? And I don't mean this to be snarky, its just sheer ignorance on my part.

How many aborigines and other dark skinned minorities hold national or parliamentary elected office there?

You don't sound snarky, it's a fair question. Not too sure about Australia, but in New Zealand where I'm from, last time I looked there were 21 Maori in our 120 seat parliament. They make up about 14 percent of the population, so they are about even. We have 2 Asian, 1 Muslim and 3 or 4 of Pacific Island origin, too.

You don't sound snarky, it's a fair question. Not too sure about Australia, but in New Zealand where I'm from, last time I looked there were 21 Maori in our 120 seat parliament. They make up about 14 percent of the population, so they are about even. We have 2 Asian, 1 Muslim and 3 or 4 of Pacific Island origin, too.

How many Maori PMs in your history ?

Not too sure. The parliament started out with a lot less seats, but there have always been four that are Maori-only seats. About five-ten years ago it was increased to seven due to population increases of Maori.

You are not sure how many Maori Prime Ministers there have been ?

And yet it does not bother you one bit that a large segment of the black population wont vote for McCain cause he is white. Go figure. I suspect more blacks then whites will be voting because of racism.

You preume much about me, Sport...most of it entirely wrong, I might add.

You do so, based on nothing but your propensity to want to pigeon hole people to fit into you simplistic world view of what people are like, I suppose.

Of course, I believe that enormous numbers of Black folks will be voting for Obmam because he is Black.

I would be a damned fool not to think that is true.

And many of those Black people who will vote for O, would simply NOT have voted otherwise, too.

Does it trouble me?

No, not especially.

It would trouble me if Blacks had good cause to vote Republican to begin with, of course.

Then, their racist voting would be very troubling because then their votes would be entirely race-based.

But Obama WILL be getting voters, and the number will not be unsubstantial, either, who would not have voted at all, except to vote for this Black man.

But even had the Republicans run collin Powell against O, I still suspect that most Black voters would have voted D, because they perceive the Dems to be a party more like to care about their interests than the Republicans.

They may be wrong, but that is, I think, their perception.

You are not sure how many Maori Prime Ministers there have been ?

There have been none. Your point being? (BTW, as far as I know there have been no Native American presidents either - just in case you're wondering THAT is the comparison you would have to make, not African American)...

There have been none. Your point being? (BTW, as far as I know there have been no Native American presidents either - just in case you're wondering THAT is the comparison you would have to make, not African American)...

Garbage---using you logic, Kiwi's are discriminating against Maoris because they have never elected one as Prime Minister.

I've marveled at that, too, actually. And what I've decided is that "conservative" blacks are not as threatening as "liberal" blacks in much the same way as it took a commie hater like Richard Nixon to open China. There's a certain logic to it.

Not really. It's because our loathing isn't based upon race or color, but upon politics.

Neither of them are threatening because they're black. That's just something dems cling to, the way we cling to our guns and our bibles.

And I'm not surprised we have not had an Indian President. They are a tiny percentage of our population, and their upward climb from miserable poverty and suppression is behind that even of American blacks...who by far outnumber them.

Garbage---using you logic, Kiwi's are discriminating against Maoris because they have never elected one as Prime Minister.

That wasn't my logic at all. My "logic" and point of this thread was that there is latent racism in the American psyche, even amongst those who say they aren't. Is there latent racism in NZers? Probably. But nowhere near the same extent as your country's. But that is to be expected as we, as countries, have led different paths to get where we are today, so our experiences are going to be different. (BTW, it is Maori in both singular and plural form. There is no "s" in the Maori language :D )

Last edited:
That wasn't my logic at all. My "logic" and point of this thread was that there is latent racism in the American psyche, even amongst those who say they aren't. Is there latent racism in NZers? Probably. But nowhere near the same extent as your country's. But that is to be expected as we, as countries, have led different paths to get where we are today, so our experiences are going to be different. (BTW, it is Maori in both singular and plural form. There is no "s" in the Maori language :D )

damn Gump---you can't claim that your country has less "latent racsim" without something to back it up. :cuckoo:

Geesh--tell the Maori I'm sorry if offended any of them.

Forum List

Back