Will America's Underbelly Rear Its Ugly Head

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Dr Grump, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,234
    Bout sums it up. You can pretend otherwise. At least WJ is open about it....

Tracey Barnett: Obama fairytale v the dirty truth - 28 Aug 2008 - NZ Herald: World / International News

Pollsters are madly trying to quantify what number to put on racism. Good luck. Various polls range from 5-9 per cent of respondents who admit they feel uncomfortable voting for a black man.

But the story gets a bit muddier when the question is made less personally revealing. When asked if respondents had friends who wouldn't vote for Obama because of his colour, that number went up to 19 per cent, according to a New York Times poll. Translation: I'm not willing to admit out loud that I'm a racist but it's certainly more comfortable telling you my neighbours are.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I see the Kiwis are trying to turn this election into a racial thermometer too.

Americans can vote for a white person without being a racist. Why don't you take that thermometer and stick it up your own country's ass ?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,433
    I'm not sure I agree with that conclusion, since I DO know people who clearly aren't comfortable voting for Obama because of his color. I'm not one of them, so I think, in a sense, what the NY Times poll may be measuring, and possibly accurately, is what percentage of the population will be difficult for Obama to reach because of his color.

But yes... WJ is honest about that sort of thing... he's never tried to pretend he was anything but what he is.

4. glockmail

glockmail BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    I call fucking bullshit on this. I won't vote for fucking Obama, fucking Hillary or any other of those fucking Democrats because they are fucking Liberals. I also tossed a load of cash to support a black candidate for Congress in 06 and I voted for Alan Keyes in the NC primary. And not because they are black, because they are conservative.

5. Caligirl

Caligirl Oh yes it is too!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +240

The numbers mean that most americans are friends with several or more people. Here's a hypothetical:

Do you have red hair? (5% say yes)

Do you have a friend with red hair? (20% say yes).

Seems a lot less interesting all of a sudden.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  6. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,433
    I don't think you're the person they're talking about... I think they mean people who might otherwise have voted for a democrat under other circumstances.

so stop shouting, please.:eusa_pray:

7. glockmail

glockmail BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    I was making a point that regular folks like me HATE IT when the race card is played, we see it as a cheap shot, completely unfounded and there will be a backlash against those who play it.:evil:

8. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Rationally discssing the effect that race is likely playing on the outcome of the election is hardly playing "the race card" champ.

Now I understand perfectly well that many people are not going to vote for O because they hate his policies.

But some people, and this is the question at hand, probably are not because of his race.

You taking umbrage with the discussion might lead some people to think you doth protest too much.

9. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    I don't think there are enough of those people to make any difference in the end.

Most of the people I know who most abhor him would vote for Condoleeza Rice in a New York minute.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,433
    I've marveled at that, too, actually. And what I've decided is that "conservative" blacks are not as threatening as "liberal" blacks in much the same way as it took a commie hater like Richard Nixon to open China. There's a certain logic to it.