Wikileaks editor detained by US customs agents...

Reasoning

Apr 15, 2010
Wikileaks editor detained by US customs

Real the full article here @
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=10662989

A senior volunteer for Wikileaks in the US has been detained, questioned and had his phones seized when he returned to the country from Europe, as the FBI steps up its investigation into the leak of thousands of Afghanistan war secrets to the whistleblower website.

Jacob Appelbaum, who has stood in for Wikileaks founder Julian Assange since he was advised not to travel to the US, spent three hours at a New York airport while customs officers photocopied receipts and searched his laptop, and he was again approached and questioned by FBI officers at a computer hackers conference in Las Vegas.

Two officers approached Mr Appelbaum after he had given a talk on how to subvert Chinese government internet surveillance at the annual DefCon conference. He declined to talk to them.

The internet security researcher had returned to the US for the conference from the Netherlands on Thursday when he was detained.
Border officials quizzed him on the whereabouts of Mr Assange, on his attitudes to the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq and on the philosophy behind Wikileaks.

Mr Assange has not been to the US since Wikileaks published a secret video showing US military personnel in Iraq celebrating a helicopter attack in which 12 civilians were killed, including Reuters journalists.

The controversy has escalated further since the site additionally published 90,000 field reports and other military documents from the war in Afghanistan, including some that contained the names of Afghan informants.

Mr Appelbaum, who works with the Tor project, which helps internet users to obscure their identity online, has long been a senior spokesman for Wikileaks in the US.

Last month he stood in for Mr Assange at a New York computer conference and used the event to ask for funding and volunteers. Fearing the authorities, instead of returning to the stage as promised after the helicopter video played, he left by a side entrance and used a decoy in a similar hooded top to walk out of the front.

Since the seizure of his electronic equipment last week, Mr Appelbaum's voicemail now says "this telephone number is no longer an appropriate way to reach me".

Talking to The Independent at DefCon at the weekend, he angrily rejected comments from the US joint chiefs of staff, Admiral Mike Mullen, who said of Wikileaks and its volunteers last week that "they might already have on their hands the blood of some young soldier or that of an Afghan family" because insurgents could use information in the documents to launch reprisals.

"When you have been waging war for 10 years, who are you to say that?" Mr Appelbaum said. "What are you thinking, writing these people's names down? And what are you doing in concrete terms to protect these people?"
Both the FBI and the US military believe that the documents came from the same source as the helicopter video, and they have already charged a 22-year-old intelligence analyst working in Iraq, Bradley Manning, with that leak. Now they are examining Mr Manning's links with the hacker community.
At DefCon, Mr Appelbaum refused to confirm or comment on his detention but defended Wikileaks' commitment to exposing information that governments around the world want suppressed.

"All governments are on a continuum of tyranny," he said. "In the US, a cop with a gun can commit the most heinous crime and be given the benefit of the doubt. In the US, we don't have censorship but we do have collaborating news organisations."

Last edited:
Good. If he had something to do with the leaks, he should like Manning, face courts.

Ever notice they only release documents from countries where they kn ow they won't have a hit team after them afterwords? So much for the claim they release on all countries.

"What are you thinking, writing these people's names down? And what are you doing in concrete terms to protect these people?"

Well, for one thing, we're not publishing their names, asshead. :cool:

If Assange truly believed in what he is doing, why not come to the U.S. and stand up for his beliefs?

Manning is a traitor and deserves whatever he gets. He betrayed his post and has endangered hundreds, if not thousands of people. May he never see the light of day again.

Assange and Appelbaum are opportunists make a name for themselves on the backs and blood of others.

Regardless of how anyone feels about this war, all three of these characters are in the wrong.

Fuck 'em.

Last edited:
I doff my hat to Assange et al...the true definition of hero....
So, you don't care how many people get killed, as long as the US is harmed. Do I understand that right?

imgres

So, you don't care how many people get killed, as long as the US is harmed. Do I understand that right?

So you don't care if you military is held accountable for its actions? These releases are from the beginning of last year and before that time. There is nothing in there that is current.

So you don't care if you military is held accountable for its actions? These releases are from the beginning of last year and before that time. There is nothing in there that is current.

I guess you missed the part where names and addresses of civilians helping our forces were included?

I guess you missed the part where names and addresses of civilians helping our forces were included?

Really? Link of these lists posted by WikiLeaks please....

Going by what the MSM is saying. I guess you haven't been keeping up with the story.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2010/07/30/2010-07-30_taliban_in_afghanistan_says_they_will_target_informants_outed_by_wikileaks_for_w.html

WikiLeaks Reportedly Outs 100s of Afghan Informants - World Watch - CBS News

FOXNews.com - Leaked War Files Expose Identities of Afghan Informants

I'm not going through thousands of bits by Wikileaks, but here's what the NY Times has:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/29/world/asia/29wikileaks.html

..."Whether those individuals acted legitimately or illegitimately in providing information to the NATO forces, their lives will be in danger now," said Mr. Karzai, who spoke at a press conference just after he said he discussed the issue with his advisors. "Therefore we consider that extremely irresponsible and an act that one cannot overlook."

A search by The New York Times through a sampling of the documents released by the organization WikiLeaks found reports that gave the names or other identifying features of dozens of Afghan informants, potential defectors and others who were cooperating with American and NATO troops.

The Times and two other publications given access to the documents — the British newspaper The Guardian and the German magazine Der Spiegel — posted online only selected examples from documents that had been redacted to eliminate names and other information that could be used to identify people at risk. The news organizations did this to avoid jeopardizing the lives of informants.

The founder of WikiLeaks, Julian Assange, has said that the organization withheld 15,000 of the approximately 92,000 documents in the archive that was released on Sunday to remove the names of informants in what he called a “harm minimization” process. But the 75,000 documents WikiLeaks put online provide information about possible informants, like their villages and in some cases their fathers’ names...

If true, then that is bad form by those who are releasing the names. it looks like Assange and co kept some documents back for that reason.

That aside, I don't have a problem with that information being let out. Sure, the names should be blacked out, but the operations carried out - both foul and fair - should be put in the public domain. The military should be transparent and open to public scrutiny....

Last edited:
There's little in wikileaks that wasn't known by the public. What was unknown has harmed our relations with Afghanistan and Pakistan. It's helped our enemy:

Taliban Study WikiLeaks to Hunt Informants - The Lede Blog - NYTimes.com

July 30, 2010, 11:58 AM
Taliban Study WikiLeaks to Hunt Informants
By ROBERT MACKEY
Updated | 12:36 p.m. A spokesman for the Taliban told Britain’s Channel 4 News on Thursday that the insurgent group is scouring classified American military documents posted online by the group WikiLeaks for information to help them find and “punish” Afghan informers.

Speaking by telephone from an undisclosed location, Zabihullah Mujahid, who frequently contacts news organizations, including The Times on behalf of the Taliban, said, “We are studying the report.” He added:

We knew about the spies and people who collaborate with U.S. forces. We will investigate through our own secret service whether the people mentioned are really spies working for the U.S. If they are U.S. spies, then we know how to punish them.​
Steve Coll, an expert on the region and a former senior editor of The Washington Post, said in a New Yorker podcast on Thursday, “my reading of the disclosure of these informants in the context of Taliban-menaced southern Afghanistan is that people named in those documents have a reasonable belief that they are going to get killed, or — actually the way it works with the Taliban is, if they can’t find you, they’ll take your brother instead.”

There's little in wikileaks that wasn't known by the public. What was unknown has harmed our relations with Afghanistan and Pakistan. It's helped our enemy:

Taliban Study WikiLeaks to Hunt Informants - The Lede Blog - NYTimes.com

July 30, 2010, 11:58 AM
Taliban Study WikiLeaks to Hunt Informants
By ROBERT MACKEY
Updated | 12:36 p.m. A spokesman for the Taliban told Britain’s Channel 4 News on Thursday that the insurgent group is scouring classified American military documents posted online by the group WikiLeaks for information to help them find and “punish” Afghan informers.

Speaking by telephone from an undisclosed location, Zabihullah Mujahid, who frequently contacts news organizations, including The Times on behalf of the Taliban, said, “We are studying the report.” He added:

We knew about the spies and people who collaborate with U.S. forces. We will investigate through our own secret service whether the people mentioned are really spies working for the U.S. If they are U.S. spies, then we know how to punish them.​
Steve Coll, an expert on the region and a former senior editor of The Washington Post, said in a New Yorker podcast on Thursday, “my reading of the disclosure of these informants in the context of Taliban-menaced southern Afghanistan is that people named in those documents have a reasonable belief that they are going to get killed, or — actually the way it works with the Taliban is, if they can’t find you, they’ll take your brother instead.”

It is probably an unfortunate side effect, but with friends like Pakistan, who needs enemies. Like the US killing civilians with 'collateral damage' wasn't helping your enemy get recruits?

Like the Taliban was treating people who DON'T believe in its religious fanaticism nicely?

Forum List

Back