Why's an adult and child having sex bad? (rings Pavlovian bell)

The fact remains we have an irrational, almost automatic, and predictable response to adults and children having sex together. Whether they did or not, the merest possibility is enough to set our reaction in motion.

It's hard wired into most human beings to want to protect the young. Let's say the age of consent was 13. I don't know many men who would have a change of heart and say "Well cool, I can go have sex with 13 year olds now!!!!" It's not who we are as a species. This is not to say that a lot of men wouldn't go out and pursue little girls/boys. Those men are sexual deviants. They will always exist, but it's not the norm.

Society hasn't conditioned me to not sexually desire children, I wasn't told "Chris you shouldn't have sex with underage children, it's bad!" There came a time in my life when I became aware of the innocence of children (17-18 years old?) My hormones were raging, but at no point did I ever think about being with a little 12/13/14 year old girl. Again society didn't tell me that, it just wasn't in me. I had ZERO desire. I think that is the case with most males/females.

The reaction to pedophiles is predictable, because as a species we are hard wired to protect the young from such acts. Sex is a very intimate and powerful act and most healthy adults understand this. It's deviant behavior to desire young children. Plain and simple.

To answer your question, the reaction is predictable because the behavior is abhorrent to normal, healthy, functioning adults. Society doesn't say so, who we are as a species says so.

I've noticed that who I'm attracted to has also changed as I've gotten older. When I was 20, I could never imagine being attracted to a 40 year old man. When I was 40, I couldn't imagine being attracted to a 20-year-old. My attraction has consistently been to men who are in my same age group. I can see that someone who is young is physically beautiful or handsome, but I'm not sexually interested in them. I think that when people's attraction sticks for some reason, that's because they are in some way deviant. It's not normal. There is something in our wiring that causes our physical attraction to follow our maturity process.
I'm still sexually attracted to college cheerleaders. I'm 50 years old and most 50 year old women are a big turn off to me. I'm going to be single for the rest of my life unless I win the lottery.
I'm 48 and I married a hot 24 year old college student last year. And we have a baby who will be a year old in September. I don't play the lottery but I certainly feel like I've won the lottery.

Is she going to feel like she's won the lottery when you're 68 and she's 44?

desiring prepubescnet-aged kids isn't natural or biologicaly sound - they're not reproductive-age so there's no reason the human animal should desire them. And yet many of us have a very definite response to just the word.

People have a response to the word that equates to desiring prepubescent children because it is not natural or biologically sound.

You seem to think there is this huge social conditioned response to the word, but there isn't. There is a response to the action associated with the word, because the action is considered abhorrent for obvious reasons.

Do you know what wolves do to a member of the pack that attacks the pups? They kill that pack member.

It's not just humans who respond this way towards predators who target the young.

The fact remains we have an irrational, almost automatic, and predictable response to adults and children having sex together. Whether they did or not, the merest possibility is enough to set our reaction in motion.

It's hard wired into most human beings to want to protect the young. Let's say the age of consent was 13. I don't know many men who would have a change of heart and say "Well cool, I can go have sex with 13 year olds now!!!!" It's not who we are as a species. This is not to say that a lot of men wouldn't go out and pursue little girls/boys. Those men are sexual deviants. They will always exist, but it's not the norm.

Society hasn't conditioned me to not sexually desire children, I wasn't told "Chris you shouldn't have sex with underage children, it's bad!" There came a time in my life when I became aware of the innocence of children (17-18 years old?) My hormones were raging, but at no point did I ever think about being with a little 12/13/14 year old girl. Again society didn't tell me that, it just wasn't in me. I had ZERO desire. I think that is the case with most males/females.

The reaction to pedophiles is predictable, because as a species we are hard wired to protect the young from such acts. Sex is a very intimate and powerful act and most healthy adults understand this. It's deviant behavior to desire young children. Plain and simple.

To answer your question, the reaction is predictable because the behavior is abhorrent to normal, healthy, functioning adults. Society doesn't say so, who we are as a species says so.

I've noticed that who I'm attracted to has also changed as I've gotten older. When I was 20, I could never imagine being attracted to a 40 year old man. When I was 40, I couldn't imagine being attracted to a 20-year-old. My attraction has consistently been to men who are in my same age group. I can see that someone who is young is physically beautiful or handsome, but I'm not sexually interested in them. I think that when people's attraction sticks for some reason, that's because they are in some way deviant. It's not normal. There is something in our wiring that causes our physical attraction to follow our maturity process.
I'm still sexually attracted to college cheerleaders. I'm 50 years old and most 50 year old women are a big turn off to me. I'm going to be single for the rest of my life unless I win the lottery.
I'm 48 and I married a hot 24 year old college student last year. And we have a baby who will be a year old in September. I don't play the lottery but I certainly feel like I've won the lottery.

Is she going to feel like she's won the lottery when you're 68 and she's 44?
Who knows?

We've talked about that. All married couples have issues like that to deal with when there is a generation gap between them.

That's why I married someone from my generation. I wanted someone who had grown up in the same era. I really do think that our generation has a lot of affect on our view of particular subjects.

Forum List

Back