Why would you want to be called "Black"?

How would you know that? I never saw it in history. But it doesn't matter. The color of skin is the least of all personal subjects I ever care about, unless there is some danger with it like sunburn.

How would you know that? I never saw it in history. But it doesn't matter. The color of skin is the least of all personal subjects I ever care about, unless there is some danger with it like sunburn.
I would know that via two methods. Common sense and scientific proof. The gene for white skin didn't occur until relatively recently.

European Gene for Light Skin Evolved Much Later Than Thought

"The analysis of the man, who lived in modern-day Spain only about 7,000 years ago, shows light-skin genes in Europeans evolved much more recently than previously thought."

That is logical, but why would you care?
I'm sure you would not accept what I was told when I moved south when there remained segregation. "******* come from monkeys." That was also said to come from scientific study. That is why I do not always believe what the greatest expert will say. Most of it is a wrong influence to obtain wrong conclusions. A lot of that is to make money with.

My entire point is to not classify anything right or important just because a lot of people believe it. As a surprise for me to hear, I was criticized for not believing.

That is logical, but why would you care?
I'm sure you would not accept what I was told when I moved south when there remained segregation. "******* come from monkeys." That was also said to come from scientific study. That is why I do not always believe what the greatest expert will say. Most of it is a wrong influence to obtain wrong conclusions. A lot of that is to make money with.

My entire point is to not classify anything right or important just because a lot of people believe it. As a surprise for me to hear, I was criticized for not believing.
Why would I care about what? We know the claims that Black people were monkeys was not science. It was an attempt to rationalize white superiority which is a pseudo science at best. I am not asking you to believe anything. I know its way easier for people to accept lies than to admit they were wrong. I dont care what you believe. Its just my duty to put the information out there. What you do with it is determined by your character and intellect.

YES! You just described what I have been doing. I recognize what I saw and heard in the south 45 years ago was a lot different from what you learned either later or in another place. For everything in life I always try to find the origin, then explain to other people it was a lot different than what they may have read about from another source. What you believe now is the opposite of what I was taught in high school. And that is where and why I knew the origin of black/white description was used, and why I refuse to accept either.

The point is simply NEVER JUDGE BY APPEARANCE (no matter how that is described).

My work in many of the United States and twenty countries also taught me a lot of science, especially medical, is also misused. If I believed doctors I would have already been dead four times.

My best friend during time in Viet Nam to now learned the same as I did in the south. He was not allowed in a home in Georgia for fellowship meetings because of his color, but it was not from hatred against him in that house, just that if a neighbor saw him enter the house it would be burned down. That friend also recognized he never wanted to be called black. A Negro can be just as white as anyone else, because we both heard the same description of those colors that I introduced here.

I recognize younger people have a different perspective; Words drastically change meanings. But I just want them to know the real origin, and why I refuse to use them from the horrible meanings I remember.

marvin

YES! You just described what I have been doing. I recognize what I saw and heard in the south 45 years ago was a lot different from what you learned either later or in another place. For everything in life I always try to find the origin, then explain to other people it was a lot different than what they may have read about from another source. What you believe now is the opposite of what I was taught in high school. And that is where and why I knew the origin of black/white description was used, and why I refuse to accept either.

The point is simply NEVER JUDGE BY APPEARANCE (no matter how that is described).

My work in many of the United States and twenty countries also taught me a lot of science, especially medical, is also misused. If I believed doctors I would have already been dead four times.

My best friend during time in Viet Nam to now learned the same as I did in the south. He was not allowed in a home in Georgia for fellowship meetings because of his color, but it was not from hatred against him in that house, just that if a neighbor saw him enter the house it would be burned down. That friend also recognized he never wanted to be called black. A Negro can be just as white as anyone else, because we both heard the same description of those colors that I introduced here.

I recognize younger people have a different perspective; Words drastically change meanings. But I just want them to know the real origin, and why I refuse to use them from the horrible meanings I remember.

marvin
I dont get why saying I would want to be called Black, African American, royal blue or purple has anything to do with judging people by their appearance? Can you explain that? When I recognize someone as white I dont treat them any differently than I would anyone else unless they show me a reason to.

When I say call me Black its because I identify with a group of people that have the most melanin in their skin and originated the human species.. Black is the ultimate compliment to me. Thats a simple worldview based on a Black mans perspective. You can have your white one but i have long ago ceased seeing the world through the eyes of white people.

I never call anyone racists unless I see definite behavior. I cannot blame someone who just learned wrong things, or is willing to discuss opinions or viewpoints that may be different from experience. That is why I started this, hoping for people to see what they believe may be from a completely different perspective, and never blame someone else who never had the same experience. With opposite opinions, both can be right or wrong. Nothing is solved without further discussion and willing to accept a perspective from a side someone else sees that I may never had thought of. Both could be accurate, depending on where you are.

I never call anyone racists unless I see definite behavior. I cannot blame someone who just learned wrong things, or is willing to discuss opinions or viewpoints that may be different from experience. That is why I started this, hoping for people to see what they believe may be from a completely different perspective, and never blame someone else who never had the same experience. With opposite opinions, both can be right or wrong. Nothing is solved without further discussion and willing to accept a perspective from a side someone else sees that I may never had thought of. Both could be accurate, depending on where you are.
I call people racist all the time. There is not much to it. You dont have to be part of the aryan nation to be racist. If I can tell you the answer to question x about my race and you refuse to accept it because it doesn't support your view then I know the odds are pretty high you are a racist. At that point you are a lost cause and its not my job to convince you not to be racist. Many people are more comfortable with believing a lie rather than changing their opinion. Whats amusing is that they get mad when you answer their question and it makes them uncomfortable. I dont really have much time for people like that because they are not actually looking to learn anything.

When I arrived in the south there was still segregation, so I have enough experience to see a lot of changes in words, and most make no sense to me.

First it changed from Negro to Colored people, the instead of negro and caucasian it became black and white. But I had friends and neighbors in the south who began all of this because white means good and clean, black evil and dirty. Therefore I refuse both of these and use Negro (same as black in Spanish or Portuguese) and caucasian. I refuse to acknowledged white or call anyone black from my remembrance of history.

However, all that really makes the most sense is to use neither. We are all different shades of brown and pink. Why do we have to go to extreme opposites when we are otherwise almost identical?
Except for them pesky redskins and yellow Asians.
Oh, and people with jaundice are yellow also.
<insert sarcasm here>

Except for them pesky redskins and yellow Asians.
Oh, and people with jaundice are yellow also.
<insert sarcasm here>

What make the most sense is to totally ignore the color and judge by behavior, not appearance.
I worked in 20 countries. The problem can be anywhere, but less in Brazil than I normally see elsewhere.

Forum List

Back