kkk defeated in court after years long battle

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
KKK defeated in court after years-long legal battle with Missouri town over racist flyers

Scott Kaufman
31 Dec 2014 at 13:17 ET
FacebookTwitterMore

Ku Klux Klan (Flickr/Martin)

Don't miss stories. Follow Raw Story!

Members of the Ku Klux Klan (KKK) will still be allowed to distribute flyers to motorists in Desloge, Missouri, but they will have to do so from the sidewalk, the Riverfront Times reports.

The KKK has been battling the town over the flyer distribution for almost two years now. First, they successfully challenged a 1999 ordinance prohibiting the distribution of flyers while standing in the roadways. In April 2014, the town countered with another ordinance, which a higher court also struck down.

But in August of 2013, Desloge tweaked the ordinance in a manner that put public safety — and not First Amendment issues — at the core of the ordinance, and hired an expert to determine whether it was possible to safely distribute materials while standing in traffic.

The city sought to prohibit the practice by claiming that it results “the person in the Roadway being struck by the vehicle during its operation, or the vehicle striking another vehicle or property in an effort to avoid the person in the Roadway.” Solicitation of flyers was banned on the entire “Roadway,” which the city defined as “from one curb or pavement edge to another, including parking lanes.”

The U.S. 8th Circuit Court of Appeals agreed that with the new justification for the ordinance, the “record here does not indicate that the city’s real motive for curtailing speech activities was to discriminate against particular messages.”

The court decided that “[t]he traffic safety concerns the city identified as its reasons for the ordinance are present whenever a pedestrian steps into the roadway to distribute materials to a vehicle occupant,” then offered the Klan suggestions as to where the it could distribute its flyers.

Except that they really were not defeated. They can still hand out their garbage - just not on the street.

Anyone have a problem with this?

I don't.

Robert-Byrd-.jpg

Unfortunately, they have a right to spew their filth in this country, just as the new black panthers, dsa, etc. all get to spew their filth as well..

Unfortunately, they have a right to spew their filth in this country, just as the new black panthers, dsa, etc. all get to spew their filth as well..

No depotoo its not "unfortunate". Its the price we pay for freedom.

Westboro, kkk, tee potty, gays, women, Black Panthers - all should have equal protection under the Constitution. That's as it should be but as we have seen, if you're Black, your protests are lied about and, amazingly, some actually want them stopped.

Equal rights for all. Period.

From Byrd to Frank:

Son, I repented of my racist past and worked hard as a conservative Demo to overcome it and make America better. You like the Klan, though, work to pull American down.

You, like my colleague, Strom, are a racist conservative member of the GOP and you have not changed and put the bad behind you.

Those who defend you on this board defend racism.

It's not too late.

Last edited:
I'm glad. I want them to distribute those flyers. In daylight.

"You look at the history of the Democrat Party and it's always been about fear-mongering, intimidation of the voters, coercion," Allen West said. "They're the party of segregation. They're the party of the Ku Klux Klan. They're the party of Jim Crow. They're the party of poll taxes and literacy tests and things of this nature, it's just that they continue to do it except with a different type of tactic in the Twenty-First Century."

Now you Democrats attack a black Republican...PLEASE!!!

I'm glad. I want them to distribute those flyers. In daylight.
And we can take pictures of them.

And put them on our dart boards.

And post them in social media.

And post them in Jewish neighborhoods.

And post them in all black neighborhoods.

And save them for posterity and bring them out to show the kids what the First Amendment is all about.

Forum List

Back