Why would Obama seek to raise the cost of Gasoline?

A couple of things are clear. The Republicans will attempt to blame Obama for the rising cost of gas, and, Obama has no benefit in raising the cost of gas.

Applying the law of succinctness, if Obama could control the cost of gas he would reduce it in an election year.

Discuss.

Why do you dummies ask.... if you always respond like this :mad:

The really sad and disconcerting aspect of message boards such as this one is the fact that people around the world can read posts by Full-Auto, Willow Tree, The T and Grampa Murked U and mistake their stupidity as reflective of all Americans.

Fucking hack troll

I ask the question, why do so many on the right want to keep sending so much money to people who want to do us harm?

When you are driving your big ass SUV which gets 10 miles to the gallon, you are giving money to Hugo to fund Narco Terrorists in Columbia and Mahmoud to fund Islamic Terrorists in the middle east.

Seems to me that you should want to reduce the amount of this stuff we buy as much as Obama does... if you really care about the things you say you care about.

Reality- the price of oil is going up because of Israeli Saber rattling, the fact Japan shut down it's nuclear industry, and increased demand from China and India, not anything Obama has done.

I've got no problem with drilling the shit out of ANWR, the Gulf and bulding the Keystone Pipeline, but not a one of those things would change the problems above. So let's get real here...

Who supports him? Radicals who want to change the way the US works. Folks who love the idea of a huge per gallon tax. 50 cents is the usual number tossed around for the level of increase. Folks who want to force everyone onto light rail and buses.

During primary time and most of the time you run things, you play to the base. In Obama's case, he needs to shore up support from the loony toons who want gas consumption down. Obama's core constituency is the ones who demand every one else drive a Yugo so they can afford the gas for their escalade.

Also, there is the very important to Obama deal of he needs an emergency to be seen as a leader. Fixing the problem means the problem goes away. You can't show leadership and courage in fighting against the evil oil companies if there is no problem.

All through his presidency, Obama has seen by example what works in reducing prices and unemployment and he has consistently done the opposite. That is not ineptitude, that is deliberate manufacture of a crisis so he can be seen as the savior rescuing the People from the Evil Corporations Who Seek To Impoverish Them.

I see you failed to acct for the externalities (hidden costs) associated w/ keeping the Persion gulf oil flowing which translate into national debt. So, $1.50 at the pump doesn't = gas is cheap. The oil concerns are foisting those costs onto the defense dept (tax payer)

Last edited:
i ask the question, why do so many on the right want to keep sending so much money to people who want to do us harm?

When you are driving your big ass suv which gets 10 miles to the gallon, you are giving money to hugo to fund narco terrorists in columbia and mahmoud to fund islamic terrorists in the middle east.

Seems to me that you should want to reduce the amount of this stuff we buy as much as obama does... If you really care about the things you say you care about.

Reality- the price of oil is going up because of israeli saber rattling, the fact japan shut down it's nuclear industry, and increased demand from china and india, not anything obama has done.

I've got no problem with drilling the shit out of anwr, the gulf and bulding the keystone pipeline, but not a one of those things would change the problems above. so let's get real here...

lol

I ask the question, why do so many on the right want to keep sending so much money to people who want to do us harm?

When you are driving your big ass SUV which gets 10 miles to the gallon, you are giving money to Hugo to fund Narco Terrorists in Columbia and Mahmoud to fund Islamic Terrorists in the middle east.

Seems to me that you should want to reduce the amount of this stuff we buy as much as Obama does... if you really care about the things you say you care about.

Reality- the price of oil is going up because of Israeli Saber rattling, the fact Japan shut down it's nuclear industry, and increased demand from China and India, not anything Obama has done.

I've got no problem with drilling the shit out of ANWR, the Gulf and bulding the Keystone Pipeline, but not a one of those things would change the problems above. So let's get real here...

complete bullshit

Agreed. I'd like to see a conservative address these facts.

i ask the question, why do so many on the right want to keep sending so much money to people who want to do us harm?

When you are driving your big ass suv which gets 10 miles to the gallon, you are giving money to hugo to fund narco terrorists in columbia and mahmoud to fund islamic terrorists in the middle east.

Seems to me that you should want to reduce the amount of this stuff we buy as much as obama does... If you really care about the things you say you care about.

Reality- the price of oil is going up because of israeli saber rattling, the fact japan shut down it's nuclear industry, and increased demand from china and india, not anything obama has done.

I've got no problem with drilling the shit out of anwr, the gulf and bulding the keystone pipeline, but not a one of those things would change the problems above. so let's get real here...

lol

Should we tell him that Obamas policies have made China oil the biggest in the world. Surpassing any American company by 100k barrels a day

Shhhh... they think "lol" and "bullshit" are valid counter arguments.... :lol::lol::lol:

lol

Should we tell him that Obamas policies have made China oil the biggest in the world. Surpassing any American company by 100k barrels a day

1) Do you have facts to back that up? (I'm guessing, no.)
2) The big giveaways to the Chi-Coms started long before Obama got there, and both parties are responsible.

A couple of things are clear. The Republicans will attempt to blame Obama for the rising cost of gas, and, Obama has no benefit in raising the cost of gas.

Applying the law of succinctness, if Obama could control the cost of gas he would reduce it in an election year.

Discuss.

He does it because he believes that we need to get off the gasoline/oil nexus. Only in that way, because subsidies to the new schemes are not sufficient, can they be replaced by those energy schemes that are presently more expensive to users.

Thus he says he wants to take away subisidies to oil companies, even though those subsidies are strickly for accelerated tax deductions for exploration, and that in reality only the smaller oil companies' survival depend on those subsidies. Taking away the accelerated deductions will actually cost consumers more, even destroy jobs, and he knows that.

The election year argument only obtains if he had a less supportive media who would report the issues fully and even handedly, but he knows they are in the tank for him so he's safe.

Shhhh... they think "lol" and "bullshit" are valid counter arguments.... :lol::lol::lol:

When you post an argument that isn't completely stupid and partisan on its face we'll counter it.

Until then.......lol @ your bullshit.

When you post an argument that isn't completely stupid and partisan on its face we'll counter it.

Uh, guy, sorry man, you aren't exactly a font of wisdom.

I made points about what is keeping oil high... You refuse to counter them, because you don't have an answer. I deal with this stuff every day. (Has something to do with never being convicted of a felony and being able to hold a job, unlike yourself.) Commodity prices are going up because demand across the world is going up.

Oil is a GLOBAL commodity, and nothing Obama can do, even if he caved on all the GOP talking points, would signifigantly change the supply side of the equation.

The people who want Keystone want to get it to the INTERNATIONAL Market, not the Ameican one. They want to get it down to Texas where the environmental laws are lax and they can get it refined to sell on the world market. Nothing more, nothing less.

Which I have no problem with, really. But it has nothing to do with the DEMAND side of the equation. Producing more oil is fine and all, but until you reduce the demand, prices will remain high.

So how do you reduce demand? More efficiency, alternative sources of energy, new technologies.

I made points about what is keeping oil high... You refuse to counter them, because you don't have an answer. I deal with this stuff every day. (Has something to do with never being convicted of a felony and being able to hold a job, unlike yourself.) Commodity prices are going up because demand across the world is going up.

Oil is a GLOBAL commodity, and nothing Obama can do, even if he caved on all the GOP talking points, would signifigantly change the supply side of the equation.

The people who want Keystone want to get it to the INTERNATIONAL Market, not the Ameican one. They want to get it down to Texas where the environmental laws are lax and they can get it refined to sell on the world market. Nothing more, nothing less.

Which I have no problem with, really. But it has nothing to do with the DEMAND side of the equation. Producing more oil is fine and all, but until you reduce the demand, prices will remain high.

So how do you reduce demand? More efficiency, alternative sources of energy, new technologies.

That is the first smart thing you said in this thread.

And you reduce demand by increasing supply. Something Obama refuses to do. Drilling on federal land and permits for said drilling are at all time lows. Private land supply is up but its not enough.

Just so you know I've held the same job for 23 years. And it pays very well thank you.

Discuss.
Yes the same way the Democrats tried to blame Bush for the high cost of gas in 08 I have said many times Presidents don't control gas prices. No President wants high gas prices in a election year but if Obama were reelected high gas prices would help him push his green agenda I think we all know this.

And you reduce demand by increasing supply. Something Obama refuses to do. Drilling on federal land and permits for said drilling are at all time lows. Private land supply is up but its not enough.

Just so you know I've held the same job for 23 years. And it pays very well thank you.

Well, I'm glad you found someone who would hire you after you checked the "Have you ever been convicted of a felony" box.... Everyone's entitled to a mistake in their life.

I've actually got job mobility, of course, but hey, let's not dwell.

The small amount that would be created by drilling on federal land (which I have no problem with) does not amount to all that much. We also have to REDUCE demand as well as increase supply.

One of those is to invest in the industries that will eventually replace petroleum.

What you fail to take into account is the degree to which global prices are subject speculation and implied risk to transporting oil from the Middle East sources, AND that we actually have little more than a pipe dream for a national energy policy.

Also, the fact that the dollar is weak for several reasons, among them a trade deficit. That is helped when we buy less oil from outside our own country.

And it's helped again when we export refined oil products (gasoline) out of Texas because their product commands a lower price there than the world price, so they export.

That is a plus-plus for our trade deficit and strengthening a weak dollar.

We should do virtually everything we can to "do all of the above" and quit the argument that being self reliant, at least in North American markets, wont help drive down the cost of oil/products.

Last edited:

Well, I'm glad you found someone who would hire you after you checked the "Have you ever been convicted of a felony" box.... Everyone's entitled to a mistake in their life.

The small amount that would be created by drilling on federal land (which I have no problem with) does not amount to all that much. We also have to REDUCE demand as well as increase supply.

One of those is to invest in the industries that will eventually replace petroleum.

You seem obsessed with my personal life, why?

Yes I'm a felon, yes I served 3 years in prison, yes i went to college when I got out, yes i started my own business 23 years ago, yes I've traveled thanks to my job, yes you're a tool.

Ps. My mistakes and subsequent punishment made me a better man. I have perspectives on life that many people never experience or learn.

Shall we continue?

Last edited:

Yes I'm a felon, yes I served 3 years in prison, yes i went to college when I got out, yes i started my own business 23 years ago, yes I've traveled thanks to my job, yes you're a tool.

Ps. My mistakes and subsequent punishment made me a better man. I have perspectives on life that many people never experience or learn.

Shall we continue?

I've cut you a lot of slack because I respect the fact you turned your life around... but if you are going to insult me, I insult right back.

I of course, served my country, worked my way through college, and have worked for a bunch of companies, usually run by people who lie to me. But I keep at it...

Nothing of which has to do with the blind, stupid anti-Obama nonsense. If you are going to criticize the man, be honest about it... this isn't an honest argument...

Shall we continue?

I've cut you a lot of slack because I respect the fact you turned your life around... but if you are going to insult me, I insult right back.

I of course, served my country, worked my way through college, and have worked for a bunch of companies, usually run by people who lie to me. But I keep at it...

Nothing of which has to do with the blind, stupid anti-Obama nonsense. If you are going to criticize the man, be honest about it... this isn't an honest argument...

Please point out my dishonest post.......

What you fail to take into account is the degree to which global prices are subject speculation and implied risk to transporting oil from the Middle East sources, AND that we actually have little more than a pipe dream for a national energy policy.

Also, the fact that the dollar is weak for several reasons, among them a trade deficit. That is helped when we buy less oil from outside our own country.

And it's helped again when we export refined oil products (gasoline) out of Texas because their product commands a lower price there than the world price, so they export.

That is a plus-plus for our trade deficit and strengthening a weak dollar.

We should do virtually everything we can to "do all of the above" and quit the argument that being self reliant, at least in North American markets, wont help drive down the cost of oil/products.

Oh, I agree, the speculators are a large part of the problem, and a lot of them should be investigated criminally....

But the only time anyone talks about despoiling the land is when oil prices go high enough to make it worth their while.... Otherwise, we are happy to let other people despoil their own countries.

I say, if we have reserves, let's hold on to them until everyone else runs out... if you want to be totally calculating about this.

Or we could actually invest in real technologies that are out there, but the Oil Industry owns too much of congress for that to ever happen.

Forum List

Back