Why Would Anyone Wish Christianity to Not Be True?

One day i will learn
There are many, many Biblical scholars--and have been. I discovered that reading Rabbinical commentaries down through the ages and into the present time to be not only enlightening, but educational as well. It certainly taught me much more than I could learn by reading the Bible and believing I then knew it from cover to cover. By including studies of ancient histories, cultures, civilizations, and languages, I truly came to know that I had known zilch, but now I know a very small fraction of what is possible to know. I still read Rabbis and Jewish scholars when time permits.

Why don't people want it to be true? Easy peasy!

John 3:17-19 New International Version (NIV)

17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son. 19 This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil

People just want to enjoy their sinning and the pleasures it brings, die, and then never wake up and pay for their crimes.
I never understood this verse. What happened to all those who lived and died before Jesus? What of those today who have never even heard of Jesus? Are they condemned?

Then Jesus was never born, he/she/it always existed. But was his/her/its own father.
Okay. Not what I or others have been saying, but if that is what you understand, I guess it could be said at least it is a beginning.

Some people picture a bubble floating in air. The bubble is filled with air--but not all air can fit into the bubble. Inside the bubble, air has limits, but when the bubble pops, the air inside is no longer contained. It is part of something greater again. Except, it had always been part of something greater, but for a little while it knew boundaries.

Some use that as a metaphor of God becoming man for a time.

I never understood this verse. What happened to all those who lived and died before Jesus? What of those today who have never even heard of Jesus? Are they condemned?
In one Letter of Peter (New Testament), he says that after his death, Jesus went to those who had lived and died before he was born, so that they, too, had a chance to hear, to repent, and believe. And, no, those who have not heard of Jesus are not condemned. They are entrusted to God. Jesus commissioned his Apostles to spread the Good News to the ends of the earth. Separately, he also noted that what was impossible for man was not impossible for God.

Why don't people want it to be true? Easy peasy!

John 3:17-19 New International Version (NIV)

17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son. 19 This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil

People just want to enjoy their sinning and the pleasures it brings, die, and then never wake up and pay for their crimes.

I take it to mean that they are saved through Christ. That is, those who loved the truth and who would have embraced Christ.

But those who reject the Light of Christ, is God to force it upon them?

I think you're supposed to take it seriously but not literally.

In one Letter of Peter (New Testament), he says that after his death, Jesus went to those who had lived and died before he was born, so that they, too, had a chance to hear, to repent, and believe. And, no, those who have not heard of Jesus are not condemned. They are entrusted to God. Jesus commissioned his Apostles to spread the Good News to the ends of the earth. Separately, he also noted that what was impossible for man was not impossible for God.
Doesn't seem fair. If I died and then was given a chance to accept Jesus, I'm sure I would. There are no atheists in heaven (or hell).

If this was God's system for Him to judge people for thousands of years, why the change? What did Jesus bring to the table?

Doesn't seem fair. If I died and then was given a chance to accept Jesus, I'm sure I would. There are no atheists in heaven (or hell).

If this was God's system for Him to judge people for thousands of years, why the change? What did Jesus bring to the table?
Good question, and one not taken very seriously by Christians, I don't believe.

Once upon a time, God fellowshipped with man, and through him was glorified on the earth. But man chased after idols, be it other gods or the secret arts, and found himself beholden to a law.

Enter Jesus, the veil that was ripped open to reveal the divine glory again. In the church, the new Garden of Eden, God fellowships with man again, and through it He is glorified on the earth again.

Once upon a time, God fellowshipped with man, and through him was glorified on the earth. But man chased after idols, be it other gods or the secret arts, and found himself beholden to a law.

Enter Jesus, the veil that was ripped open to reveal the divine glory again. In the church, the new Garden of Eden, God fellowships with man again, and through it He is glorified on the earth again.
What does "fellowship" mean? Did God talk directly to people (not just prophets)? If so, why did he stop, since He knew man would lose his way?

What does "fellowship" mean? Did God talk directly to people (not just prophets)? If so, why did he stop, since He knew man would lose his way?
Christians "sense" a direct connection to God, yes. They fellowship with Him, or walk with Him, as Genesis says.

I just told you why the fellowship ended. Idolatry. Man ate of that tree, and then walked alone.

I am not one who believes that acceptance (or non-acceptance) of Jesus determines our fate. I believe it is our own hearts and choosing good (better the ideal) over evil that is the greatest factor.

The Catholic Church assures people it knows the ways of Christ and can guarantee that if one follows the Catholic faith, one is following Jesus and the Way of eternal life. The Church does NOT teach there is no other way into heaven and does NOT claim one must be a Catholic, or a Christian, or else! It merely points to the fact that it cannot make the same assurances to non-Catholics. It has no authority to do so, and little or no knowledge of how God may be working in non-believers' (and others) lives. The Catholic Church simply concentrates on what it was given through Apostolic teachings that came directly from Christ.

In Romans, the Apostle Paul writes that people who have no belief in God will face what I think may be a tougher judgement--they will face the judgement of their own hearts.

We all need to remember Dante's Inferno was a work of fiction as well as satire and parody. (I was taught this early on in Catholic School.) We were taught that people choose heaven (an eternity of service with God) or hell (an eternity apart from God).

Note that Jesus compares anger with one's brother to the fires of Gehenna (the city dump). The flame never goes out, yet the worm never dies. That is a good comparison for anger/hatred in our own hearts, but it is not a reference to hell.

Jesus also talks of a purifying fire. In other words, we are gold, but with some impurities that need to be burned away. (Catholics see that as an example not only of our struggles here as we strive for self-improvement, but also of purgatory after our death.)

Third, Jesus speaks of an unquenchable fire intended for devils and demons--those who know God and totally reject him. Some think that will also be the fate of humans who know God and then choose to reject Him.

There seems no indication that the same fate is in store for those who simply cannot believe. Scripture states that faith is a gift. Don't stop seeking that gift too easily, but also remember there are Bible passages where it appears that those without the gift of faith, who did try, and who did follow the law written in their hearts, are not automatically destined for hell. The Catholic Church teaches they are entrusted to a merciful God.

I am not one who believes that acceptance (or non-acceptance) of Jesus determines our fate. I believe it is our own hearts and choosing good (better the ideal) over evil that is the greatest factor.

The Catholic Church assures people it knows the ways of Christ and can guarantee that if one follows the Catholic faith, one is following Jesus and the Way of eternal life. The Church does NOT teach there is no other way into heaven and does NOT claim one must be a Catholic, or a Christian, or else! It merely points to the fact that it cannot make the same assurances to non-Catholics. It has no authority to do so, and little or no knowledge of how God may be working in non-believers' (and others) lives. The Catholic Church simply concentrates on what it was given through Apostolic teachings that came directly from Christ.

In Romans, the Apostle Paul writes that people who have no belief in God will face what I think may be a tougher judgement--they will face the judgement of their own hearts.

We all need to remember Dante's Inferno was a work of fiction as well as satire and parody. (I was taught this early on in Catholic School.) We were taught that people choose heaven (an eternity of service with God) or hell (an eternity apart from God).

Note that Jesus compares anger with one's brother to the fires of Gehenna (the city dump). The flame never goes out, yet the worm never dies. That is a good comparison for anger/hatred in our own hearts, but it is not a reference to hell.

Jesus also talks of a purifying fire. In other words, we are gold, but with some impurities that need to be burned away. (Catholics see that as an example not only of our struggles here as we strive for self-improvement, but also of purgatory after our death.)

Third, Jesus speaks of an unquenchable fire intended for devils and demons--those who know God and totally reject him. Some think that will also be the fate of humans who know God and then choose to reject Him.

There seems no indication that the same fate is in store for those who simply cannot believe. Scripture states that faith is a gift. Don't stop seeking that gift too easily, but also remember there are Bible passages where it appears that those without the gift of faith, who did try, and who did follow the law written in their hearts, are not automatically destined for hell. The Catholic Church teaches they are entrusted to a merciful God.
Thanks. You are a fine spokesman for your religion and faith. I just wish I could believe your beliefs describe reality. Maybe someday.

If I was going to wish for something I don't think it would be this world as it is.
The world is what you make it to be. That is the definition of being pragmatic.
No it isn't. The definition of pragmatic is accepting the world as it is. I may wish to flap my arms and fly but I know I can't change gravity. I may wish for a heaven but that doesn't make it a reality.
The definition of pragmatic is not having unrealistic expectations. You do what you can with what you have. They don’t wish for things period.

If I was going to wish for something I don't think it would be this world as it is.
The world is what you make it to be. That is the definition of being pragmatic.
No it isn't. The definition of pragmatic is accepting the world as it is. I may wish to flap my arms and fly but I know I can't change gravity. I may wish for a heaven but that doesn't make it a reality.
The definition of pragmatic is not having unrealistic expectations. You do what you can with what you have. They don’t wish for things period.
Why Would Anyone Wish Christianity to Not Be True? Or not be true? Why "wish" for anything?

Don't like the options of how a virgin can get pregnant.

Know from experience that there aren't 3 wise men and one virgin in the whole Middle East.

Even if Jesus was not the son of God, he was a pretty cool dude who influenced our world more than any other

Forum List

Back