Why Unions are great for America

deepthunk

Justadude with a keyboard
Feb 19, 2011
I think it's safe to say that we have all heard the right wing press repeatedly attack, bash, and even openly slander the public service unions in Wisconsin, as well as unions all accross the board and the country. I'll not lend greater credence to such none sense by repeating it here, however i do wish to share my personal opinion as to why unions are in fact good for business's and for america.

First and foremost one of the most important rules established by early unions was to require breaks (both meal and rest breaks) to be given to employee's at reasonable times throughout the day. this is vitally important not just for the health and well being of the employee's themselves, but also as a matter of workplace safety and productivity. Studies relating to "drowsy driving" have found that if a person works an eight hour day without and meal or rest breaks and then gets behind the wheel of a car, that person is in fact impaired to the same degree as a person who is intoxicated by alcohol. What this means is, having a person on the clock for eight hours without a break is the same as having an intoxicated person on the job site (not to mention operating heavy equipment). An exhausted person on a construction site for example can stumble into a trench, step back into the path of equipment, or make any number of foolish mistakes that said person otherwise would not make. further more though an employer may believe they are gaining work time by not allowing breaks,but they are in fact loosing far more money in the form of lost productivity.

Because i live in a right to work state (Arizona), i can assure you from personal experience that without proper labor laws or union rules employers will abuse employee's in the most atrocious ways. This is because they constantly fail to recognize their employee's as their most valuable asset, and instead consider those employee's the least valuable.

In the fast food industry for example, corporations consistently give the restaurant employee's the worst possible treatment while complaining nearly constantly about the rate of employee turnover.

Fast food restaurant's invest heavily in maintaining their equipment, the restaurants buildings, and the "procedures" that guide employee's. However these corporations fail to realize that the employee's greet customers,prepare the food (product), as well as maintain the buildings. further more even the best employee turns into a horrible employee when they are exaushted. In short, if these restaurants were to unionize and enforce reasonable worker protections it would result in better performance for the companies, and a better experience for the paying customers.

let us also not forget that before unions were established there was virtually no such thing as workplace safety standards, not to mention health insurance benefits. before unions were established workers (some as young as ten years old) were constantly being mangled in senseless and easily avoided accidents. the burdens caused by those accidents were being carelessly tossed aside to be carried by hopelessly poor families and society as a whole. when unions came to power (through collective bargaining) they established laws to prevent the exploitation of minors, safety standards that would later become OSHA law, and health insurance benefits to force companies to be responsible for the public health problems they themselves were creating.

now after all this time and with all this history as a guide, modern corporation's and their representatives are complaining about the expense of the unions and the vary benefits they give to their employee's and to america as a hole? I think this vary fact alone is proof enough that we need those unions now, more than ever

Because i live in a right to work state (Arizona), i can assure you from personal experience that without proper labor laws or union rules employers will abuse employee's in the most atrocious ways.
can you be specific please.

This is because they constantly fail to recognize their employee's as their most valuable asset, and instead consider those employee's the least valuable.

you know this...how? And this sounds like a value judgment. Everyone has those...;)

let us also not forget that before unions were established there was virtually no such thing as workplace safety standards, not to mention health insurance benefits. before unions were established workers (some as young as ten years old) were constantly being mangled in senseless and easily avoided accidents. the burdens caused by those accidents were being carelessly tossed aside to be carried by hopelessly poor families and society as a whole. when unions came to power (through collective bargaining) they established laws to prevent the exploitation of minors, safety standards that would later become OSHA law, and health insurance benefits to force companies to be responsible for the public health problems they themselves were creating.

yes they were and power to them, then.

I am more than glad those folks early on took up the fight and helped drive the creation of an alphabet soup of gov. regulatory and grievance agencies that have, to a large extent obviated the necessity of Unions vis a vis their raison d'être. It is what it is.....

The Public Unions support Democrat or Republican depending on how many benefits that either Political Party is giving away from the private sector.. ie.... taxpayers expense...

As I recall Jimmy Carter stopped collective bargaining for Federal Employees..

Seems to me collective bargaining with public unions introduces a high probability of graft, corruption and special arrangements between public unions and politicians bent on re-election...

OK i once worked for a company called SQP which is a subcontractor for the city, we were laying new water mains and changing feeds over from the old ones. On this job i worked 9 and a half hour days in 105 degree plus heat, most days with only a twenty minute lunch break and on several days in the three week contract, i got no lunch break at all. Is that specific enough?
you know this...how? And this sounds like a value judgment. Everyone has those...;)
If your suggesting human resources have no value then you clearly know little about business, or perhaps you simply mean people have no value?

I am more than glad those folks early on took up the fight and helped drive the creation of an alphabet soup of gov. regulatory and grievance agencies that have, to a large extent obviated the necessity of Unions vis a vis their raison d'être. It is what it is.....

I guess you missed where i explained quite simply why we need those Unions now more than ever. Or perhaps you have never had a working class job in a "right to work state", but take it from me in arizona we desperately need unionization right here and right now because people are literally being worked to death.

OK i once worked for a company called SQP which is a subcontractor for the city, we were laying new water mains and changing feeds over from the old ones. On this job i worked 9 and a half hour days in 105 degree plus heat, most days with only a twenty minute lunch break and on several days in the three week contract, i got no lunch break at all. Is that specific enough?

why did you not make a telephone call? and please don't ask, to who.

If your suggesting human resources have no value then you clearly know little about business, or perhaps you simply mean people have no value?

*sigh*

I guess you missed where i explained quite simply why we need those Unions now more than ever. Or perhaps you have never had a working class job in a "right to work state", but take it from me in arizona we desperately need unionization right here and right now because people are literally being worked to death.

I guess you missed where I said-

alphabet soup of gov. regulatory and grievance agencies

that can and will act, quickly and with authority. Do I need to name them for you? seriously dude.... you are on the internet....right? here I'll give you a friendly clue;)

Section 18 of the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970.

Last edited:
Did everyone enjoy their weekend?

thank the unions

I hear ya. I can remember my father telling me stories of the days before unions when thug bosses would come to your house on a Sunday with a gun and force you to work.

And, and how they would have to hide the children because if the thugs found them they would take them too.

There is no doubt that the Unions of old did some great things for The USA and even for the world. But the time of the all powerful Union is over. They overplayed their hand and demanded too much. Sorry, but it is time to put on the brakes.

When you start talking about a Union for fast food workers you are really stretching it. It would spell the end of Fast food. And it wouldn't take longer than one year.

why did you not make a telephone call? and please don't ask, to who.

oh dear god i don't know what to do with someone as dumb as you. there's no one to call because in Arizona it's legal for them to do that, that's why we desperately need unions. did you perhaps ride the short bus to the republican national convention?

I guess you missed where I said-

alphabet soup of gov. regulatory and grievance agencies

that can and will act, quickly and with authority. Do I need to name them for you? seriously dude.... you are on the internet....right?

Osha does NOT require an employer to give rest or meal breaks, that's mandated by state law not on the federal level. you don't know the first thing about labor law do you?
now it's my turn to laugh :lol:

There is no doubt that the Unions of old did some great things for The USA and even for the world. But the time of the all powerful Union is over. They overplayed their hand and demanded too much. Sorry, but it is time to put on the brakes.

When you start talking about a Union for fast food workers you are really stretching it. It would spell the end of Fast food. And it wouldn't take longer than one year.

simply saying a thing does not make it so, perhaps you could offer some logical argument to back your case?

thats great you think so but a bunch more still want the unions around. Just saying "it's time is over" doesnt mean anything but it is a nice phrase to use for every occasion.

Did you have a 40 hour work week?

Thank a union

simply saying a thing does not make it so, perhaps you could offer some logical argument to back your case?

Certainly could, ever heard of the rust belt? I can see it from the window to my left. What used to be miles upon miles of steel mills is now rusty empty buildings. that is the few of them that are still standing at all.

And more recently we had a Hospital close because they could not meet the demands of 80 Union members. over 400 people lost their job and the Union reps were on a local radio talk show talking about how they won. What the fuck did they win? Their members lost their jobs and the community lost a Hospital. I was being nice but since you got me started.

Fuck Unions

thats great you think so but a bunch more still want the unions around. Just saying "it's time is over" doesnt mean anything but it is a nice phrase to use for every occasion.

Did you have a 40 hour work week?

Thank a union

I never worked a little 40 hour week in my life. Way too much to do to fit it into 40 hours a week. And I already said that the Unions of old did some great things, try a reading comprehension class.

I took a reading comprehension class and that is because I didnt have to work when I was 10 yrs old. I'm thanking a union for it.

Can you offer anything that shows why unions are no longer needed? You saying so IS pretty persuasive but do you have anything...like...more?

Items that outlived their usefulness:

Cassette tapes, players and recorders
Vinyl records
VCRs
Tune-Up shops
Unions

Among thousands of others.

Vinyl records
VCRs
Tune-Up shops
Unions

Now wait a minute, I've been digitizing my vinyl since Christmas. Just did a 6 album set of the "Sensational Sixties" today.
I've done alot of that too. The reason we're doing it is?

Because vinyl outlived its usefulness! :lmao:

Vinyl records
VCRs
Tune-Up shops
Unions

Now wait a minute, I've been digitizing my vinyl since Christmas. Just did a 6 album set of the "Sensational Sixties" today.
I've done alot of that too. The reason we're doing it is?

Because vinyl outlived its usefulness! :lmao:

I like to think of it as Preservation....... I even was able to record some 45's that were cracked....... Of course I've gone through 3 bottles of rubbing alcohol cleaning them first. And then I'm going to start on my cassettes......

Forum List

Back