Why The US Might Default Even with Enough Tax Revenues

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
This came in to my email today. It is from David Malpass of Encima Capital. I expect it will be on his website in a week.

Default may occur because of a technical issue I hadn't known about.

If no legislation is passed, the payments problem will be immediately intense in early August. In very rough numbers, federal spending is $300 billion per month while taxes are $180 billion per month. Since the U.S. is on a cash-basis accounting system, however, the debt limit has to absorb a long pipeline of past expenditures plus high-priority current payments like interest on the national debt. While tax receipts are coming in daily, some of it -- social security and Medicare taxes in excess of the expenditures on those programs -- can’t be spent because of the way the trust fund balances increase the statutory debt. The result is a rapidly broadening set of highly disruptive non-payments which the White House can extrapolate and communicate.

I do not expect the US to default, but I also know that there is much we don't know. Those here claiming that there is zero chance that the US will default - or that if we default it is all Obama's fault - have zero knowledge of the intricacies of the government law and finance. I don't know what the odds are of a default - 1%? 2%? 5%? 0.1%? - I don't know. But it isn't zero.

This came in to my email today. It is from David Malpass of Encima Capital. I expect it will be on his website in a week.

If no legislation is passed, the payments problem will be immediately intense in early August. In very rough numbers, federal spending is $300 billion per month while taxes are $180 billion per month. Since the U.S. is on a cash-basis accounting system, however, the debt limit has to absorb a long pipeline of past expenditures plus high-priority current payments like interest on the national debt. While tax receipts are coming in daily, some of it -- social security and Medicare taxes in excess of the expenditures on those programs -- can’t be spent because of the way the trust fund balances increase the statutory debt. The result is a rapidly broadening set of highly disruptive non-payments which the White House can extrapolate and communicate.

I do not expect the US to default, but I also know that there is much we don't know. Those here claiming that there is zero chance that the US will default - or that if we default it is all Obama's fault - have zero knowledge of the intricacies of the government law and finance. I don't know what the odds are of a default - 1%? 2%? 5%? 0.1%? - I don't know. But it isn't zero.

thank you for that. i think people wear partisan blinders that don't allow them to assess this situation rationally.

If default is actually a real risk why won't Obama accept a short term deal to raise the debt ceiling in order avoid default?

If default is actually a real risk why won't Obama accept a short term deal to raise the debt ceiling in order avoid default?

A: Politics...

because any deal that only cuts and doesn't raise revenues isn't a deal.

so you might want to talk to eric cantor about that one.

thank you for that. i think people wear partisan blinders that don't allow them to assess this situation rationally.

You sound a bit like Obama. do you always call others on what you do?

because any deal that only cuts and doesn't raise revenues isn't a deal.

so you might want to talk to eric cantor about that one.

That wasn't even an answer to my question.

Let me rephrase it for you. if default is actually such a danger why is Obama willing to see the nation go into default rather than accept a short term deal to raise the debt ceiling in order to work on a real deal without the threat of a complete economic meltdown if we do not reach a deal?

It would seem like foreign countries may try throw a monkey wrench (where did that term come from?) into the whole default scenario by cashing in treasury notes early before the first of the month thereby causing a liquidity problem for the government. The Chinese hold a lot of US paper and yes the ploy would cost but the effect could be cause the government to default before the first of the month..

Forum List

Back