Why the Seahawks Defense is the Best Ever

BluePhantom

Educator (of liberals)
Nov 11, 2011
Portland, OR / Salem, OR
No one even tries to argue that the Seahawks D is not the best in the game now. That is a given by every football fan. But the best ever? I say yes and I will tell you why.

a) The Seahawks D has dominated in an era that favors the offense. Previous defenses have had the luxury of "headhunting". The 2014 Seahawks cant headhunt and they still dominate.

b) Even in the era of not being allowed to headhunt you have guys like Kam Chancellor who was apparently sent to this earth to punish people for their sins and he does it legally. They don't call him "Deathbacker" for nothing.

c) Technology, sports medicine, conditioning, etc has advanced so much that a superstar "back in the day" would be an ordinary player now. Put Dick Butkis in today's NFL and I doubt he would even be considered average. The game has progressed that far.

Take the 1985 Chicago Bears and put them in a game against the 2014 Jacksonville Jaguars. Use today's rule book, and the physical conditioning that the Bears had in 1985 and the Jaguars have today. It wouldn't even be close. The 2014 Jaguars would destroy the 1985 Bears by three touchdowns.

What the 1985 Bears did the Seahawks are doing now but todays Seahawks are bigger, stronger, faster, more advanced. I think one can make an argument about what defense was more dominant in their era but according to the way the NFL has progressed, the way the rule book has changed, the way sports medicine has advanced...when we watch the Seattle Seahawks we are seeing the best defense to ever play the game

No one even tries to argue that the Seahawks D is not the best in the game now. That is a given by every football fan. But the best ever? I say yes and I will tell you why.

a) The Seahawks D has dominated in an era that favors the offense. Previous defenses have had the luxury of "headhunting". The 2014 Seahawks cant headhunt and they still dominate.

b) Even in the era of not being allowed to headhunt you have guys like Kam Chancellor who was apparently sent to this earth to punish people for their sins and he does it legally. They don't call him "Deathbacker" for nothing.

c) Technology, sports medicine, conditioning, etc has advanced so much that a superstar "back in the day" would be an ordinary player now. Put Dick Butkis in today's NFL and I doubt he would even be considered average. The game has progressed that far.

Take the 1985 Chicago Bears and put them in a game against the 2014 Jacksonville Jaguars. Use today's rule book, and the physical conditioning that the Bears had in 1985 and the Jaguars have today. It wouldn't even be close. The 2014 Jaguars would destroy the 1985 Bears by three touchdowns.

What the 1985 Bears did the Seahawks are doing now but todays Seahawks are bigger, stronger, faster, more advanced. I think one can make an argument about what defense was more dominant in their era but according to the way the NFL has progressed, the way the rule book has changed, the way sports medicine has advanced...when we watch the Seattle Seahawks we are seeing the best defense to ever play the game

Why when football is discussed does the predominate football team of the modern ear seldom is mentioned? One would think that team with the most Super Bowl rings would rate a mention.

It is without doubt that the Steel Curtain was the best defense ever. Yes the athletes are better today but that goes for both offense and defense.

Here is the number one defense from the following site: Pittsburgh Steelers 1976 - AskMen

The Steelers' defense in the 1970s was known as the Steel Curtain -- and for good reason. It was easily the most formidable, toughest-to-play D in the history of the NFL. If you’ve ever seen the famous photo of linebacker Jack Lambert, glaring and missing his front teeth, you’d know this was one mean hombre. However, Lambert was just one cog in Pittsburgh’s defensive wheel, and was joined by fellow Hall of Famers “Mean Joe" Greene, Mel Blount and Jack Ham -- four of the eight Pittsburgh defenders named to the Pro Bowl in 1976. This team made it one game from the Super Bowl thanks to its ridiculous defense down the stretch. Over the final eight games of ‘76, opponents averaged just 3.1 points a game against the Steel Curtain.

And here: ESPN.com - Page2 - The List Best NFL defense of all-time

The OP must be a fan.

We had this argument before. Seattle has the best defense today, but they certainly aren't the best ever.

This year's team allowed 4274 yards. Excluding other Seattle teams, there have been eight teams over the past 13 years that allowed fewer yards - 2009 NY Jets (4037), 2008 Steelers (3795), 2008 Ravens (4177), 2007 Steelers (4262), 2006 Ravens (4225), 2004 Steelers (4134), 2003 Cowboys (4056), 2002 Bucs (4044). Seattle would rank 9th amongst those teams.

During that same time period, 18 teams allowed fewer points per game than Seattle's 15.9 points.

You can see it on ESPN.

So, if you're going to be the "best ever," you probably aren't going to rank 9th in yardage and 19th in points allowed.

Just using the eyeball test, the Bears were the best defense I've ever seen. I don't remember the Steel Curtain. The Ravens and the Bucs were also better than today's Seahawks.

Last edited:
The OP must be a fan.

We had this argument before. Seattle has the best defense today, but they certainly aren't the best ever.

This year's team allowed 4274 yards. Excluding other Seattle teams, there have been eight teams over the past 13 years that allowed fewer yards - 2009 NY Jets (4037), 2008 Steelers (3795), 2008 Ravens (4177), 2007 Steelers (4262), 2006 Ravens (4225), 2004 Steelers (4134), 2003 Cowboys (4056), 2002 Bucs (4044). Seattle would rank 9th amongst those teams.

During that same time period, 18 teams allowed fewer points per game than Seattle's 15.9 points.

You can see it on ESPN.

So, if you're going to be the "best ever," you probably aren't going to rank 9th in yardage and 19th in points allowed.

Just using the eyeball test, the Bears were the best defense I've ever seen. I don't remember the Steel Curtain. The Ravens and the Bucs were also better than today's Seahawks.

Chicago was good but the Steelers, by way of four Super Bowl wins in 6 years was better by objective accounts, as provided. You not remembering the Steel Curtain is exactly what I am talking about. The best defense ever, four super bowls and they redefined the game and they only get credit by the experts.

I don't want to say who is a bigger or longer fan of the Seattle Seahawks. I just see that this "BluePhantom" dude has been on THIS MB since 2011 and a supporter of the Hawks on THIS MB for maybe 2-3 months.

That's cool.

BUT I was in Cheney on several occasions and there were few adults that drove the 400 round trip miles from Seattle to Eastern Washington just to see the Hawks practice back in the day. There were just a handfull of peeps watching the Hawks practice back at the bible college in Kirkland including several players wives and their kids. Then the Hawks started putting up fences and made the viewing by non Seahawk personnel more difficult.

Now if you want to go through the circus the Hawks provide you can enter into a sort of lottery and pay em some money and go several hours with no smoking you can see a handfull of allowed practices.

NOW with the internets a fan can get all the info you might want to investigate to be a well informed follower.

THAT said the OP lives in Portland? Ya...great. That's almost halfway to being a fan of the 49ers..but whatever...

Still hey... the more the merrier..right?

Not only have I been a pretty good fan from the start...but I have had several talks about the Hawks with one of the original owners John Nordstrom. Mostly concerning why they sold the team to Ken Behring. I own a 35 foot Chris Craft I live on and my boat and Nordstrom's 68 foot Hatteras were in the same boatyard, the New Hope Marina, for several months and we had opportunity to cross paths because of that several years ago. One of my best friends Jayhawk, owned a fancy fiberglass repair and custom boat design and building shop that was commissioned to do the renovation on Nordstroms's yacht of which I participated in the electrical and electronic installations and some of the fiberglass work.

But I digress... :lol:

Seahawk defense best ever? Hard to say. I'm not sure that this is the best Seahawk Defense in some aspects.

I think we need to see more. If next season and the season after that can maintain the same level maybe this would be a legitimate conversation.

People are quick to rush to judgement about who is or was the best at this or that but history will tell. It's not like the videos are going to disappear or anything. There will be plenty of time when this team's Defense is eventually replaced and some other teams D steps up to take the day to have this discussion.

I don't want to say who is a bigger or longer fan of the Seattle Seahawks. I just see that this "BluePhantom" dude has been on THIS MB since 2011 and a supporter of the Hawks on THIS MB for maybe 2-3 months.

Am I being accused of bandwagoning? Hmmm....ok remember the game against the New York Giants in 1981 when Dave Kreig came in for Jim Zorn and solidified himself as the starter for the next several years? Yeah I was about nine rows up on the 40 yard line when that happened. ;)

Am I being accused of bandwagoning? Hmmm....ok remember the game against the New York Giants in 1981 when Dave Kreig came in for Jim Zorn and solidified himself as the starter for the next several years? Yeah I was about nine rows up on the 40 yard line when that happened. ;)

No. Hell no. I'm just curious why you weren't here standing up for the Hawks in 2012 and 2013. I could have used a little help THEN when stupid old HUGGY was guaranteeing playoff and Super Bowl runs and everything.

All I had was this crazy fyucker 9/11 having my back when he wasn't with me until he was jumping ship...then back on board..then jumping ship again and PROMISING the Hawks were one and done with the SBs.

I'm actually impressed with your knowledge about the Seattle Seahawks and furthermore driving or even flying from Portland to Seattle to see a game in 1981 is commendable!

Portland couldn't be too bad. My brother lives there.

:lol:

Yeah Blue Im curious as well to why you were not here two years ago especially last year when it was obvious the Hawks were going to win the superbowl after passing their toughest test in the playoffs beating the niners?

its amazing how lady luck was with the hawks again this year.when the hawks were 3 and 3 i thought for sure their season was done.they got very lucky with palmer getting hurt cause had he stayed healthy,no way do they win the division and have homefield advantage again.

as far as the thread title,you are correct.There is no question the hawks have the best defense ever after all those facts you brought up.The 85 Bears and the niners defense that gets overlooked cause of Montana and their offense,or any of those other defenses would not be able to hold a candle to these defenses if they were playing in the same era where the rules favor the offense and you can hardly even touch defenders downfield anymore.

Back in that day and age you could mug receivers and throw the quarterback around.The bears and niners having to play in this day and age,no way would they be effective now like they were back then.

But the thing that proves beyond a doubt they are the best defense ever more than anything is they shut out the highest scoring offense in NFL history and came up big against one of the greatest quarterbacks ever who is a lock for the hall of fame shutting him down and frustrating him.

Yeah Blue Im curious as well to why you were not here two years ago especially last year when it was obvious the Hawks were going to win the superbowl after passing their toughest test in the playoffs beating the niners?

its amazing how lady luck was with the hawks again this year.when the hawks were 3 and 3 i thought for sure their season was done.they got very lucky with palmer getting hurt cause had he stayed healthy,no way do they win the division and have homefield advantage again.

as far as the thread title,you are correct.There is no question the hawks have the best defense ever after all those facts you brought up.The 85 Bears and the niners defense that gets overlooked cause of Montana and their offense,or any of those other defenses would not be able to hold a candle to these defenses if they were playing in the same era where the rules favor the offense and you can hardly even touch defenders downfield anymore.

Back in that day and age you could mug receivers and throw the quarterback around.The bears and niners having to play in this day and age,no way would they be effective now like they were back then.

But the thing that proves beyond a doubt they are the best defense ever more than anything is they shut out the highest scoring offense in NFL history and came up big against one of the greatest quarterbacks ever who is a lock for the hall of fame shutting him down and frustrating him.

Primarily it's because I was working ridiculous hours and was just too busy. I am taking some time off now so I have the luxury of showing up and being a homer. :lmao:

Yeah I agree we were fortunate but I will take it. It sucks when players get hurt but it's part of the game unfortunately. In the OP I brought up Dick Butkis.....man he was a killer in his day, but today....if he was in the NFL right now....he would be far too slow to be effective. Yeah he could probably still lay the lumber on a run up the middle, but linebackers are asked to do such different things now. Can you imagine him trying to cover a TE or a WR? Even an average tight end like Owen Daniels would flat out leave him in the dust not to mention what Gronkowski or Gates would do to him.

He was a great player in his day...but he simply couldn't play in today's NFL. I think that can be said for most players prior to...oh say 2000 maybe. Just the sports medicine has come so far. It wasn't too long ago that an ACL tear ended your career. Now players get a tear near the end of the season and they are back for week 1 the next year in some cases.

Again I think you can make a string argument that this defense may have been more dominant than other defenses in their time, but take Dan Marino's Dolphins, Terry Bradshaw's Steelers, Joe Montana's 49ers, or perhaps even Troy Aikman's Cowboys and put them against this Seattle defense with the rulebook of those eras....pfft...I am not sure any of those offenses would even score more than 6-10 points IF THAT.

We shall see in ten years if they are the best defense of all time. Longevity would be a major factor in that determination. As for now, the greatest defense of all time was the Pittsburgh Steelers defense under Chuck Knoll when they won four Super Bowls in the 70's.

Why does it even matter who is the best of all time? It's not like the rules have remained the same. It is impossible to compare the previous era's teams to today's.

Sherman has something like 28 picks since he has entered the league and #2 HAS around 15.

Chancellor has hospitalized several NFL players over the last two seasons. The Seahawk Defense has held the top QBs and offenses down where our shrimpy little Russell Wilson can win against the liikes of a Peyton Manning..Tom Brady..Rothlesburger, Drew Brees... the list goes on and on... many important games under the big lights and with national audiences.

How many greats in today's NFL must be fired or just plain give up to make the point? How many dragons must this team slay?

The game has had several rule changes favoring the Offences since the great D's of the past played. If anything it takes better athletes on Defense today to play within the rules and still enjoy success.

Of course Seattle's Defense isn't the "Best Ever". They are the best NOW and that's all we will ever know for sure.

Yeah I agree we were fortunate but I will take it. It sucks when players get hurt but it's part of the game unfortunately. In the OP I brought up Dick Butkis.....man he was a killer in his day, but today....if he was in the NFL right now....he would be far too slow to be effective. Yeah he could probably still lay the lumber on a run up the middle, but linebackers are asked to do such different things now. Can you imagine him trying to cover a TE or a WR? Even an average tight end like Owen Daniels would flat out leave him in the dust not to mention what Gronkowski or Gates would do to him.

He was a great player in his day...but he simply couldn't play in today's NFL. I think that can be said for most players prior to...oh say 2000 maybe. Just the sports medicine has come so far. It wasn't too long ago that an ACL tear ended your career. Now players get a tear near the end of the season and they are back for week 1 the next year in some cases.

Again I think you can make a string argument that this defense may have been more dominant than other defenses in their time, but take Dan Marino's Dolphins, Terry Bradshaw's Steelers, Joe Montana's 49ers, or perhaps even Troy Aikman's Cowboys and put them against this Seattle defense with the rulebook of those eras....pfft...I am not sure any of those offenses would even score more than 6-10 points IF THAT.

Dan Marinos defenses wer never that good which is why he was such a great REGULAR SEASON quarterback.manning is a clone of him.Like Marino,he was inpressive in regular season games but against top notch competition in the playoffs he would stink up the joint.

the niners defense was comparable to the 85 bears it just gets overlooked because of Montana,Rice and their offense but that defense back then shut out future hall of fame greats Dan Marino and John Elway so it bugs me that they never mention them in the same breath as the 85 bears.

I mean look at who the bears beat in the playoffs that year they won.my 2015 "LOS ANGELES RAMS." who had a worthless shit named dieter brock,easily the worst quarterback in the NFL that year,they got as far as they did that year to the NFC title game against the bears cause of my favorite running back ever,my man Eric Dickerson and cause of a great defense.so they had no passing game whatsoever to worry about.

and look who the quarterbacks were they facedin that superbowl were.One was a flash in the pan tony eason who pretty much never recovered after that game in the future and did not last much longer in the league after that,and steve grogan who was in the twilight of his career playing on his last legs.

that's absurd to say they are near as good as the seahawks after they shut down a future lock for the hall of fame and was having a career year.:cuckoo: and yeah,you are right,playerslike butkus,or my proud fearsome foursome "LA RAMS" defense,those players would be really slow in this day and age having to cover guys with average speed such as owen daniels,no question.

The OP must be a fan.

You can see it on ESPN.

the fact that pooper troll agreed with this post of totos pretty much proves the seahawks have the best defense ever.:biggrin:

That's cool.

BUT I was in Cheney on several occasions and there were few adults that drove the 400 round trip miles from Seattle to Eastern Washington just to see the Hawks practice back in the day. There were just a handfull of peeps watching the Hawks practice back at the bible college in Kirkland including several players wives and their kids. Then the Hawks started putting up fences and made the viewing by non Seahawk personnel more difficult.

Now if you want to go through the circus the Hawks provide you can enter into a sort of lottery and pay em some money and go several hours with no smoking you can see a handfull of allowed practices.

NOW with the internets a fan can get all the info you might want to investigate to be a well informed follower.

THAT said the OP lives in Portland? Ya...great. That's almost halfway to being a fan of the 49ers..but whatever...

Not only have I been a pretty good fan from the start...but I have had several talks about the Hawks with one of the original owners John Nordstrom. Mostly concerning why they sold the team to Ken Behring. I own a 35 foot Chris Craft I live on and my boat and Nordstrom's 68 foot Hatteras were in the same boatyard, the New Hope Marina, for several months and we had opportunity to cross paths because of that several years ago. One of my best friends Jayhawk, owned a fancy fiberglass repair and custom boat design and building shop that was commissioned to do the renovation on Nordstroms's yacht of which I participated in the electrical and electronic installations and some of the fiberglass work.

Seahawk defense best ever? Hard to say. I'm not sure that this is the best Seahawk Defense in some aspects.

I think we need to see more. If next season and the season after that can maintain the same level maybe this would be a legitimate conversation.

People are quick to rush to judgement about who is or was the best at this or that but history will tell. It's not like the videos are going to disappear or anything. There will be plenty of time when this team's Defense is eventually replaced and some other teams D steps up to take the day to have this discussion.

yeah there are a lot of seahawk fans who live in Portland,that was why they got scratched off the list for the Raiders when they were thinking about interviewing the city there for POSSIBLE relocation there since LA is not an option for them.davis wisely decided not to interview them there since he realized most football fans there are seahawk fans which is why he then turned to san Antonio who is trying to lure him there now.

He will have no choice but to stay in Oakland though cause that wont work for him either since the chargers would be the only AFC team in the west left so he has nowhere else to go to.lol

Last edited:

That's cool.

yeah there are a lot of seahawk fans who live in Portland,that was why that got scratched off the list for the raiders when they were thinking about interviewing the city there for POSSIBLE relocation there since LA is not an option for them.davis wisely decided not to interview them there since he realized most football fans there are seahawk fans which is why he then turned to san Antonio who is trying to lure him there now.

A lot of 49ers fans here too. There's this "jealous little brother" complex that people in Portland seem to have about Seattle so some of them are 49ers fans just out of spite. :lol: Portland is too small to support an NFL team anyhow, especially with the Seahawks, Raiders,and 49ers being so close.

That's cool.

yeah there are a lot of seahawk fans who live in Portland,that was why that got scratched off the list for the raiders when they were thinking about interviewing the city there for POSSIBLE relocation there since LA is not an option for them.davis wisely decided not to interview them there since he realized most football fans there are seahawk fans which is why he then turned to san Antonio who is trying to lure him there now.

A lot of 49ers fans here too. There's this "jealous little brother" complex that people in Portland seem to have about Seattle so some of them are 49ers fans just out of spite. :lol: Portland is too small to support an NFL team anyhow, especially with the Seahawks, Raiders,and 49ers being so close.

weird there are niner fans there as well.did not know that.is that why they don't have a baseball team there as well cause of the a's,giants,and mariners? btw,you did not finish repeating our conversation we were having by pm the other day dude.

That's cool.

weird there are niner fans there as well.did not know that.is that why they don't have a baseball team there as well cause of the a's,giants,and mariners? btw,you did not finish repeating our conversation we were having by pm the other day dude.

Sorry I will get back to that today. Yeah I imagine that's why they don't have a team other than the Trailblazers and Timbers. Both those teams get huge support of course but basketball teams don't require nearly the amount of financial support from a city as a football or baseball team does. Mariners, A's, and Giants are all pretty well supported here. Trying to stuff another team in that mix would almost certainly over-saturate the market and all four teams would end up taking it in the shorts.

While today's players may be faster and stronger than in times past, I think you may be overstating it a bit if you're only going back to the 90s.

There's also the question of how well today's players would adjust to the different rules of past eras. Would a player who has spent his whole life with a certain idea of what is an illegal hit be able to simply start making or taking those hits with equanimity?

Besides, judging which team is the best ever almost has to be done based on the time they play in. We cannot actually see what would happen if the Seattle defense of today played the great offenses of the past under various rules. We cannot see how the 85 Bears or the 70s Steelers defenses would perform against the offenses of today. All we have are assumptions, and we all know how those go.... :lol:

Forum List

Back