Why the race card?

As a companion to my other thread, this one is about rhetorical tactics used by the Left.

The current trend in Left-wing rhetoric is flagrant use of the race card (at least in certain areas). "Racism" and other "-ism" words have suddenly become the new shut-down comment from the Left. Where does this trend come from?

Is it just because the left is currently the party in power? Is it purely a defensive strategy? Simple, emotionally charged rhetoric? Or is it something more?

Discuss.
IMO, this is an urban myth. I find that there are more people making the accusation that people are playing the race card.

There is genuinely quite a bit of racism coming form the right right now, there always has been but it's been amplified by the election of a black man they view as a non-American "Other."

This is sometimes accurately addressed and criticized, but I think what you're talking about is where it's then also exploited to dismiss legitimate criticisms of the Administration as simple racism.

So because there's a considerable contingent of racists among the right, when those who aren't racist and have grievances with the economy, unemployment, the healthcare mandate, etc. they make clear, they're easier lumped in with the racists than responded to on the merits of their arguments.

It's justified as a response to actual racism, but also utilized as an illegitimate panacea to act as though all criticism of the president stems from racism.

The issue is that perhaps 10% of the Left's complaints of "racism" are factual - which brings us into a "Boy who cried wolf" situation.

Now, legitimate claims of racism are dismissed immediately as "playing the race card".
I'm quite curious to see what you would label as legitimate.

Feel free to through in a few illegitimate claims as well.

Specific examples if you will.

I'll give you a few, if that's okay.

My former boss, a black man, had seen the design for our new offices. Two other men had positions lateral to his and both had windows in the new design but his did not. He blamed racism, which was most uncharacteristic of him. I know for a fact he was much better liked than at least one of the other men whose offices were designed to have windows. BTW, when his unhappiness was made known, the design was corrected.

Compare:

Six of my female professors in law school resigned in protest at the selection of a new dean, a man with a well-earned reputation as a sexual harrasser. A female assistant dean did not resign. In the years following, these two women developed quite the antipathy for each other. My black female law professor blamed race.

My perception is that in neither case was race or racism a factor. No one can ever "know", but I was close with all the relevant parties in these examples and I feel pretty comfy that was not a driving force...though I do understand it "feels" that-a-way to the black professional.

Everyone has their own truth, MarcATL.

There are virtually no instances of racism in public or corporate life. The penalties for it are too severe, economic and social.
There are tons of charges of racism, however, usually as a way to deflect from poor performance.

I dun know where you get this figure of 10%. My guess is, American Muslims are 99% correct when they guess the bad reception they've received was racially motivated. Black Americans, mebbe not so much. If they are wealthy, it could be a once in a lifetime thingie. If poor, a daily occurrence. Hispanics likely have similar experiences: wealth erases race, poverty highlights it.

Quentin is correct; it is unhelpful to slam anyone who criticizes Obama as a "racist" even though we all know, occassionally this is exactly what powers the remarks. On the other hand, it is naive to the point of Pollyanna-ism to pretend a poor, black, inner-city has the same shot in life as a white, middle class suburban one does and I get fed up with both claims. Dishonesty annoys me.

Here's the way that I see it.

If someone opposes ObamaCare, or the stimulus, or something like that, odds are it's not because they're a racist.

If someone believes that Obama was born in Kenya, the root of that comes from racism.

Well, if someone has an opinion that perhaps Obama was born in Kenya doesn't make them racist.

Not liking him at all because of the color of his skin makes you racist.

Oh please...

There are virtually no instances of racism in public or corporate life. The penalties for it are too severe, economic and social.
There are tons of charges of racism, however, usually as a way to deflect from poor performance.

Sure. :cuckoo:

I dun know where you get this figure of 10%. My guess is, American Muslims are 99% correct when they guess the bad reception they've received was racially motivated. Black Americans, mebbe not so much. If they are wealthy, it could be a once in a lifetime thingie. If poor, a daily occurrence. Hispanics likely have similar experiences: wealth erases race, poverty highlights it.

Quentin is correct; it is unhelpful to slam anyone who criticizes Obama as a "racist" even though we all know, occassionally this is exactly what powers the remarks. On the other hand, it is naive to the point of Pollyanna-ism to pretend a poor, black, inner-city kid has the same shot in life as a white, middle class suburban one does and I get fed up with both claims. Dishonesty annoys me.

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD.................

you see alot of posts in these forums that are "off" but this one has gotta be up for an award in the category of "Disconnected post of the Year"..........unless we assumed that 70% of America is racist!!!:lol::lol::lol:

As a companion to my other thread, this one is about rhetorical tactics used by the Left.

The current trend in Left-wing rhetoric is flagrant use of the race card (at least in certain areas). "Racism" and other "-ism" words have suddenly become the new shut-down comment from the Left. Where does this trend come from?

Is it just because the left is currently the party in power? Is it purely a defensive strategy? Simple, emotionally charged rhetoric? Or is it something more?

Discuss.
When you have the facts on your side, you argue the facts.
When you have the law on your side, you argue the law.
When you have nothing on your side, you smear your opponent.

Discuss.

Actually, I see a lot more of the Race Card Card.

This is 100% false. My boss was promoted away from me to supervise a Division riddled with bona-fide claims of racial discrimination. In addition to being black, he had a well-earned reputation for fairness and approachability. We talked about 6 months into his tenure in his new job. It was worse than he had been led to believe.

There are many sociopaths in business and in government. Some are racists. Put one in a position of power by mistake, it can years to undo the damage. Most institutions with any longevity will experience this to their collective sorrow.

This is 100% false. My boss was promoted away from me to supervise a Division riddled with bona-fide claims of racial discrimination. In addition to being black, he had a well-earned reputation for fairness and approachability. We talked about 6 months into his tenure in his new job. It was worse than he had been led to believe.

There are many sociopaths in business and in government. Some are racists. Put one in a position of power by mistake, it can years to undo the damage. Most institutions with any longevity will experience this to their collective sorrow.

Sorry. One anecdote does not constitute proof. Fail.

Okay, second anecdote. After Hurricane Andrew the Florida DOI formed a pool to sell homeowner's insurance in South Florida. By law, this 13 member board was 12 members of industry and the Insurance Consumer Advocate, and had to have at least three members who were minorities or female. A very very very large insurance company sent word it had no such employee at a level suitable to be a pool board member. We told them to pass on the seat, so they promoted a black man and life went on.

Hurricane Andrew was in 1992, you ignorant fuckwhit.

Discuss.

Well, that gets into the "Boy who cried wolf" situation that I was talking about before. But the race card is played as well.

For instance, in NY: I don't think that all the corruption charges against Charlie Rangel were because he's black. I think they happened because he's very corrupt - but he played the race card constantly.

Discuss.

Well, that gets into the "Boy who cried wolf" situation that I was talking about before. But the race card is played as well.

For instance, in NY: I don't think that all the corruption charges against Charlie Rangel were because he's black. I think they happened because he's very corrupt - but he played the race card constantly.

Rangel, Fudge, Jackson, Waters, etc. Call me cynical but I doubt many members of Congress have encountered racism since their elections.

Okay, second anecdote. After Hurricane Andrew the Florida DOI formed a pool to sell homeowner's insurance in South Florida. By law, this 13 member board was 12 members of industry and the Insurance Consumer Advocate, and had to have at least three members who were minorities or female. A very very very large insurance company sent word it had no such employee at a level suitable to be a pool board member. We told them to pass on the seat, so they promoted a black man and life went on.

They promoted a black as a result of this. That's racism, how?
You keep pushing an anecdote here and there. The plural of anecdote is not proof.
If you expect to get taken seriously, counselor, you'll clean up your act.

You keep pushing an anecdote here and there. The plural of anecdote is not proof.

They promoted my boss away from me because they needed a fair-minded and approachable person to clean up a pattern of racial discrimination that had run rampant throughout a Division. Reading comprehension not your strong suit, The Rabbi?

They promoted my boss away from me because they needed a fair-minded and approachable person to clean up a pattern of racial discrimination that had run rampant throughout a Division. Reading comprehension not your strong suit, The Rabbi?

So you're saying the company realized they had a problem and addressed it appropriately, right? This is an example of racism?
Are you taking drugs or something?

So you're saying the company realized they had a problem and addressed it appropriately, right? This is an example of racism?

The example of racism, you shimmeing bowl of fuckwhitery, is the pattern of racial discrimination that had spread throughout a Division.

BTW, I assume you are white? Jewish? Ever run into any anti-semetism? Bigotry did not go underground until the 1990's, The Rabbi. Before then, people were heard to say some truely evil crapola at work.

The example of racism, you shimmeing bowl of fuckwhitery, is the pattern of racial discrimination that had spread throughout a Division.

BTW, I assume you are white? Jewish? Ever run into any anti-semetism? Bigotry did not go underground until the 1990's, The Rabbi. Before then, people were heard to say some truely evil crapola at work.

You would have to define "pattern of racism" to be credible. Of course you can't. You will just tell anecdotes about how some person or other was treated bad. Probably because he/she couldn't do his/her fucking job.
Saying "truly evil crapola at work" doesn't begin to rise to the level of racism.

No. You want racism, here's a goodie.
In the 1980s a friend was selling mobile homes. They had a middle class black couple with good income, good credit, money in the bank etc who wanted one. The dealer had a lender in Alabama, a subsidiary of an insurance company with good rates.
The loan was denied.
The dealer called and asked why. The manager responded: "We don't lend money to no *******."
The dealer told him, you can't do that.
Manager answered, son, this is Alabama. We can do what we want.
Dealer called state department of financial institutions and the loan got approved the next day.
But that's racism.And the story is 30 years old and was a whopper at the time. Even then it would have been totally unacceptable (and criminal) outside of any company in jerkwaterville.

Sure. :cuckoo:

Feel free to post examples to support your contention. I won't hold my breath however.

You made the ridiculous statement. You prove what YOU say. Do you think the EEOC commission exists for nothing? Minority housing regulations? Hate crime legislation?

Again, I repeat, :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back