Why the Choice to Be Childless is Bad for America

If he wants the child? And if there is a dispute over who should have custody? Absolutely.

The party that is at fault for the break down of the family SHOULD NOT be the one that raises the child ....

You're not thinking.
Unless there are extenuating circumstances, such as those like Chris mentioned, my philosophy is sound. ....

That's not a philosophy, not sound, and not logical.

You are trying to equate "initiating divorce proceedings" and "fault." Doesn't work that way.
If he wants the child? And if there is a dispute over who should have custody? Absolutely.

The party that is at fault for the break down of the family SHOULD NOT be the one that raises the child and instills the moral and ethical value that family is worthless. Instead, let the parent that has respect for the sacredness of the family raise the child.

If this happens, the rate of divorce, and the respect and sacredness with which people hold the institution of the family vis-à-vis the worth of an individual's happiness will come back into balance. Nothing is more important than how we raise an as yet undeveloped human mind.

Yet, some of these juvenile adults that aren't completely happy and decide to have children somehow think their own happiness is more important? Bullshit.

I used to babysit for a guy who had custody of all four of his kids because his wife ran off on them with some guy she met online. All of them girls too. Can you believe that nut? Another boy I babysat for, same situation except his mother was an unstable druggy. Poor kids.

However, I don't agree that the father should automatically get custody. That depends entirely upon the situation. Maybe he abused his wife or something. Maybe he was a drunk or a druggy.

Well, naturally, extenuating circumstances like addiction, or abuse not with standing.

However, even in these instances, don't you think the wife and mother should at least first make one attempt to get into therepy/counseling with the father to save the family unit? Every individual only gets one shot in life, only one mother, one father, and one childhood. Don't you think people just give up too easy today? Doesn't everyone just want to have instant gratification and instant easy life?

For instance, is it alright of the mother to just leave if the father gets a debilitating and slowly progressing disease that will make it so she can not be upwardly mobile? Our society values wealth and material items.

If after they marry and have one child, the father gets something like MS, is that now grounds for divorce? What about a severe anxiety or depressive disorder? Those can be the underlying cause to that substance abuse you were talking about. It then becomes very easy for the other parent to just cheat, and then walk out, doesn't it? Is that self centered behavior good for the future self-esteem, and identity of the children, or would it be better to see the one parent help the other though such a time of hardship? What usually happens?

Does the child see the mother and father giving each other unconditional love, no matter what problems arise in the relationship, or do folks bail at the first sign of problems?

That depends on the people involved. This is not an ideal world and people are far from being perfect.
I know it doesn't work that way, I know western society has not constructed the ideal, it is focused on the individual, not the family and society. I was just telling you how it is supposed to work if you want a healthy society instead of a sick one.

A sick society is one that would force people who don't like one another to be together. If the parents aren't happy, then the children aren't happy either. Sometimes divorce IS the best solution.
Spoken like an immature individual who is clueless about what I am talking about. Congratulations. Parents will convince themselves of anything to make themselves believe that what they are doing is for the best.

Divorce is never the best solution for the children.

The party that is at fault for the break down of the family SHOULD NOT be the one that raises the child ....

You're not thinking.
Unless there are extenuating circumstances, such as those like Chris mentioned, my philosophy is sound. ....

You are trying to equate "initiating divorce proceedings" and "fault." Doesn't work that way.

The party that is at fault for the break down of the family SHOULD NOT be the one that raises the child and instills the moral and ethical value that family is worthless. Instead, let the parent that has respect for the sacredness of the family raise the child.

If this happens, the rate of divorce, and the respect and sacredness with which people hold the institution of the family vis-à-vis the worth of an individual's happiness will come back into balance. Nothing is more important than how we raise an as yet undeveloped human mind.

Yet, some of these juvenile adults that aren't completely happy and decide to have children somehow think their own happiness is more important? Bullshit.

I used to babysit for a guy who had custody of all four of his kids because his wife ran off on them with some guy she met online. All of them girls too. Can you believe that nut? Another boy I babysat for, same situation except his mother was an unstable druggy. Poor kids.

However, I don't agree that the father should automatically get custody. That depends entirely upon the situation. Maybe he abused his wife or something. Maybe he was a drunk or a druggy.

Well, naturally, extenuating circumstances like addiction, or abuse not with standing.

However, even in these instances, don't you think the wife and mother should at least first make one attempt to get into therepy/counseling with the father to save the family unit? Every individual only gets one shot in life, only one mother, one father, and one childhood. Don't you think people just give up too easy today? Doesn't everyone just want to have instant gratification and instant easy life?

For instance, is it alright of the mother to just leave if the father gets a debilitating and slowly progressing disease that will make it so she can not be upwardly mobile? Our society values wealth and material items.

If after they marry and have one child, the father gets something like MS, is that now grounds for divorce? What about a severe anxiety or depressive disorder? Those can be the underlying cause to that substance abuse you were talking about. It then becomes very easy for the other parent to just cheat, and then walk out, doesn't it? Is that self centered behavior good for the future self-esteem, and identity of the children, or would it be better to see the one parent help the other though such a time of hardship? What usually happens?

Does the child see the mother and father giving each other unconditional love, no matter what problems arise in the relationship, or do folks bail at the first sign of problems?

That depends on the people involved. This is not an ideal world and people are far from being perfect.
I know it doesn't work that way, I know western society has not constructed the ideal, it is focused on the individual, not the family and society. I was just telling you how it is supposed to work if you want a healthy society instead of a sick one.

No, You weren't .
Yeah I was. Sorry the truth hurts buddy.

Mod Edit -- too close to family attack.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're not thinking.

A sick society is one that would force people who don't like one another to be together. If the parents aren't happy, then the children aren't happy either. Sometimes divorce IS the best solution.
Spoken like an immature individual who is clueless about what I am talking about. Congratulations. Parents will convince themselves of anything to make themselves believe that what they are doing is for the best.

Your illogical, I'll-considered, categorical pronouncements are empty and meaningless.

You're not thinking.

Bull. The kids are better off away from a toxic environment of hatred and fighting, distrust, disrespect. People are fucked up!

You're not thinking.

No, You weren't .
Yeah I was. ....

No, you were trying to promote your baseless, random musings as if they were "truth." They are not. It seems like the product of an entirely juvenile mind to insist on the validity of such facile superficiality.

Having been the child of two parents who did nothing but bicker and fight constantly, I can say that I probably would have been better off if my parents had divorced when I was a child. It was to the point at times where I would just want to jump out of the moving car to escape their constant bickering and fighting. It really wears on you and, as a child, a lot of times you might blame yourself for your parents fighting, especially when the fight is over you!

Sure, you should give it your all to try to make it work, but if it doesn't work out, then such is life. If your husband or wife cheated on you, and you could not forgive him or her, then you really don't have much to work with. The basis of any good strong relationship is trust and respect.

Bull. The kids are better off away from a toxic environment of hatred and fighting, distrust, disrespect. People are fucked up!
Why are they "fucked up?"

You have to ask? :neutral: Do you KNOW any people?

Having been the child of two parents who did nothing but bicker and fight constantly, I can say that I probably would have been better off if my parents had divorced when I was a child. It was to the point at times where I would just want to jump out of the moving car to escape their constant bickering and fighting. It really wears on you and, as a child, a lot of times you might blame yourself for your parents fighting, especially when the fight is over you!

So you would rather have not had any contact at all with your dad, just cut him out of your life entirely. Get rid of him, gone, is that it?

So you would rather have not had any contact at all with your dad, just cut him out of your life entirely. Get rid of him, gone, is that it?

What makes you say that? Most children of divorce still get to see both parents.

Socratic method, also known as maieutics, method of elenchus, elenctic method, or Socratic debate, is a form of cooperative argumentative dialogue between individuals, based on asking and answering questions to stimulate critical thinking and to draw out ideas and underlying presumptions. It is a dialectical method, often involving a discussion in which the defense of one point of view is questioned; one participant may lead another to contradict themselves in some way, thus weakening the defender's point. This method is named after the classical Greek philosopher Socrates and is introduced by him in Plato's Theaetetus as midwifery (maieutics) because it is employed to bring out definitions implicit in the interlocutors' beliefs, or to help them further their understanding.
Socratic method - Wikipedia

Socratic method, also known as maieutics, method of elenchus, elenctic method, or Socratic debate, is a form of cooperative argumentative dialogue between individuals, based on asking and answering questions to stimulate critical thinking and to draw out ideas and underlying presumptions. It is a dialectical method, often involving a discussion in which the defense of one point of view is questioned; one participant may lead another to contradict themselves in some way, thus weakening the defender's point. This method is named after the classical Greek philosopher Socrates and is introduced by him in Plato's Theaetetus as midwifery (maieutics) because it is employed to bring out definitions implicit in the interlocutors' beliefs, or to help them further their understanding.

And most people do not practice this and are too emotional when it comes to relationships and such things.

What makes you say that? Most children of divorce still get to see both parents.

I feel that is an unsubstantiated statement. I have several friends that are single parents. And I know several guys that had kids, whose mom's no longer make an effort to allow their teenage kids to have a relationship with their dad's.

I feel that is an unsubstantiated statement. I have several friends that are single parents. And I know several guys that had kids, whose mom's no longer make an effort to allow their teenage kids to have a relationship with their dad's.

And there are many that do, probably more that get to see both parents than do not.

And most people do not practice this and are too emotional when it comes to relationships and such things.

Most "people" that decide to break up families have either come from dysfunctional homes themselves, or have come from broken homes. They have received that signal from society that it is all right to put their needs ahead of their children's needs, ahead of the families needs.

You nailed it though, folks become "too emotional." That is a luxury you are not allowed once you have children.

If you are listless, unhappy, unfulfilled, YOU DO NOT look outside the marriage for happiness. That is not betraying or cheating on your partner, it is cheating on YOUR FAMILY AND YOUR CHILDREN.

And there are many that do, probably more that get to see both parents than do not.

It doesn't matter. That is an unsubstantiated claim. I can't say otherwise. Nor can you.

It is not ideal, and it leads to unhappiness and dysfunction in the child.

If it didn't, parents would not fight for physical custody if it weren't important.

Most "people" that decide to break up families have either come from dysfunctional homes themselves, or have come from broken homes. They have received that signal from society that it is all right to put their needs ahead of their children's needs, ahead of the families needs.

You nailed it though, folks become "too emotional." That is a luxury you are not allowed once you have children.

If you are listless, unhappy, unfulfilled, YOU DO NOT look outside the marriage for happiness. That is not betraying or cheating on your partner, it is cheating on YOUR FAMILY AND YOUR CHILDREN.

Yet, people do it ALL the time. Lol. So there you go. You just gave a great point as to why people do get divorced and why sometimes it's for the best of everyone involved in the dysfunction.

I do agree that courts are very hesitant about separating a mother from her children, but that is slowly starting to change I think. I see more and more dads with custody and often times even sole custody. The children should go to the person who can care for them the best.

Anyways, nobody should be forced to stay in an unhealthy or unhappy situation against their will. You cannot force people to be good people or even decent people. They are what they are.

Forum List

Back