Why Soccer Will NEVER Catch On In America

Yet, with Soccer it goes for 90+ minutes and absolutely nothing happens for 90+ minutes. A few seconds to score a goal and maybe 2 - 3 goals a game. Sorry, but that brings about the "yawn" in me.

And typically, an NFL game goes 3 hours, not 4... but who's countin'?

Immie

Ah, but the near misses, the skills, the drama! Like any sport football can be boring, but generally, at the top level, it's anything but....

And the NFL has strategy, both offense and defense whereas, soccer is kick the ball around until you get lucky. Soccer is a lot of fun to play, but not any fun to watch.

Skills, I can see and understand... drama? Where? When?

You want drama in a sport, the NFL is the place to turn... then again if you want a cure for insomnia...

... turn to the NBA. :lol:

Immie

this will not come as a surprise: you have no clue about football.

"soccer is kick the ball around until you get lucky"

And the NFL has strategy, both offense and defense whereas, soccer is kick the ball around until you get lucky. Soccer is a lot of fun to play, but not any fun to watch.

You want drama in a sport, the NFL is the place to turn... then again if you want a cure for insomnia...

Drama? God, you haven't watched a Merseyside, Manchester, London or Tyneside Derby. Nor have you seen some of the great world cup finals and semi finals. France vs Germany in 82 or Brazil vs Italy in that same year, or the 1990 semi final between England and Germany, or the Ghana vs US game in this world cup where some prat of a ref disallowed a goal almost on full time, or Ghana vs Uruguay where Suarez handled on the line only for hte penalty to be saved. What about the 2005 European Cup final where Liverpool were down 3-0, came back to 3-3 and for Liverpool goalkeeper Jerzey Dudek to save a point blank shot with about a minute to go, then there was a penalty shootout which Liverpool won, or the 2001European Cup final where Manchester United were down 1-0 with a minute to go and they scored 2 goals in the space of three minutes. That's just off the top of my head. Drama! You want drama! I'll give you drama! ..;o)

very nice. but unfortunately i know very well the year of the manu comeback in the cl final.
it was 1999. :evil:
in 2001 bayern munich finally won the cup vs valencia.

Jimmy Kimmel used basketball to illustrate why soccer seems so pathetic to anyone that enjoys watching the skill of actually scoring goals rather than the luck of sneaking one in every once in awhile. Does the world also like watching Marathons? We know they get excited over bicyclist passing each other.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSwQYmUva0I]YouTube - What If Basketball Were Like the World Cup?[/ame]

Drama? God, you haven't watched a Merseyside, Manchester, London or Tyneside Derby. Nor have you seen some of the great world cup finals and semi finals. France vs Germany in 82 or Brazil vs Italy in that same year, or the 1990 semi final between England and Germany, or the Ghana vs US game in this world cup where some prat of a ref disallowed a goal almost on full time, or Ghana vs Uruguay where Suarez handled on the line only for hte penalty to be saved. What about the 2005 European Cup final where Liverpool were down 3-0, came back to 3-3 and for Liverpool goalkeeper Jerzey Dudek to save a point blank shot with about a minute to go, then there was a penalty shootout which Liverpool won, or the 2001European Cup final where Manchester United were down 1-0 with a minute to go and they scored 2 goals in the space of three minutes. That's just off the top of my head. Drama! You want drama! I'll give you drama! ..;o)

None of that even comes close to the drama of even a preseason NFL game and quite honestly, I don't watch much preseason.

I do, however, like George's "How to Watch Soccer" post. But the only reason it takes 20 minutes to watch a game like that is that it take 19 minutes to FF through two hours of nothing and a minute or so to back up after a goal is scored. :lol:

Immie

Ah, but the near misses, the skills, the drama! Like any sport football can be boring, but generally, at the top level, it's anything but....

Immie

That is all it is to the spectator.

Immie

Immie

Immie

to the spectator immie, who has no clue of the game, the tactics, the techniques etc.

maybe the only football match you watched was played by 5 year olds in a park.

Immie

to the spectator immie, who has no clue of the game, the tactics, the techniques etc.

Probably the only one I stayed awake through the entire game. :lol:

And actually, I used to ref a kids soccer league for my church. And my son played for a city league for two or three years.

You want excitement... watch the NFL.

Immie

Immie

Tactics? Techniques?

Why the heck do I want to watch someone's footwork, especially when the cameras don't get close enough to really let you see their technique anyway?

I never said there wasn't skill to the game and when I was a kid, I loved to play, but watching it is downright boring.

Immie

Immie

Tactics? Techniques?

Why the heck do I want to watch someone's footwork, especially when the cameras don't get close enough to really let you see their technique anyway?

I never said there wasn't skill to the game and when I was a kid, I loved to play, but watching it is downright boring.

Immie

one of the real nasty "improvements" to football broadcasting has been done to satisfy the need of the casual observer for close camera shenanigans. not so long ago, they showed those camera shots during breaks, now they switch to close camera everyfuckingtime a player reaches the general corner area. this is when you need to know what happens in the middle, who is there to receive a pass, how do they cross or fool their opponents. but no, show us the nike shoes of robinho. this is also why you need to watch the game from the stands, you can see the whole pitch, there you can see the tactics employed, how they contract or disperse depending on ball possession. fist closes, fist opens.

atrocious directing at the world cup, to appease sponsors and satisfy the need of the casual observer to have close-ups.

bah

I think if you want a Fast Paced, Drama, and Tough sport go to a Hockey Game..

Even though I play it It's still fun to watch at the Rink.

I enjoy hockey, but there just is not enough scoring... maybe if they made the nets say 50% bigger?

And another thing that takes a lot of the enjoyment out of hockey for me... I'm ice skate challenged. :lol: Living in the San Francisco Bay Area in my athletic days, ice skating and hockey were not available to us so I never got involved with the excitement of the game.

I vaguely remember that there was a SF Team called the San Francisco Seals, I believe, but they moved to Minnesota I think when I was a pre-teen.

Probably why I am not much of a NBA fan either... we had the Golden State Warriors... have they made the playoffs in the last 45 years? How the hell does a team miss the playoffs so many times in a row when 80% of the teams make it to the playoffs every year?

Immie

haha, Well, That's what's so exciting when someone scores a goal, Think about it.. A net like that you got to have some Skill, especially when you can, Pull back, Aim, and snap it perfectly in a corner..

while it's true some games end up 2-1 or so, It's fun to see them go at it, and It's the only sport of the Big 4 that let you fight, hell 2 whole teams can go at it, and Goalies too.. What's no exciting about that?

Here. ;)

Go to 1:13 to see the two Goalies go at it..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAPhqXj_24I]YouTube - Sabres VS Senators BRAWL 2/22/07[/ame]

Last edited:
The land between the Tigress and Euphrates rivers is called the Fertile Crescent-birthplace of civilization.

The area extending from roughly 75 miles east of Pittsburgh to about the same distance to the west, from Youngstown, Ohio southward to Morgantown, West Virginia is the cradle of American football.

I hold a degree from The Ohio State University (arguably one of the finest collegiate football programs on the planet) and live less than an hours drive from Heinz Field.

There is no greater team sport than American football. There is no argument on behalf of any other team sport to displace football from the hearts of folks living here.

Even in the midst of the Lebron James hubbub, lots of us here remained supremely indifferent. Other than to smirk at the 'misfortunes' of Cleveland.

I'm pretty sure if the finals of the World Cup was aired simultaneously with a Steelers pre-season game, the technicians at the station the World Cup was being broadcast from would have the Steelers on in the studio!

The land between the Tigress and Euphrates rivers is called the Fertile Crescent-birthplace of civilization.

The area extending from roughly 75 miles east of Pittsburgh to about the same distance to the west, from Youngstown, Ohio southward to Morgantown, West Virginia is the cradle of American football.

I hold a degree from The Ohio State University (arguably one of the finest collegiate football programs on the planet) and live less than an hours drive from Heinz Field.

There is no greater team sport than American football. There is no argument on behalf of any other team sport to displace football from the hearts of folks living here.

Even in the midst of the Lebron James hubbub, lots of us here remained supremely indifferent. Other than to smirk at the 'misfortunes' of Cleveland.

I'm pretty sure if the finals of the World Cup was aired simultaneously with a Steelers pre-season game, the technicians at the station the World Cup was being broadcast from would have the Steelers on in the studio!

Not only that, but if the station pre-empted the Steelers in favor of the World Cup, they would probably have a lot of irate folks to deal with if not a small riot on their hands. :)

In 1968 the Jets wre leading the Raiders 32 to 29 with 65 seconds left in the game, when NBC left the game to start the movie "Heidi" on time. In that last 65 seconds, the Raiders scored 14 points to win the game 43 to 32. The fans were so outraged they jammed the NBC switchboard and all its affiliates for hours. No network has EVER pulled such a boner again. :)

Not only that, but if the station pre-empted the Steelers in favor of the World Cup, they would probably have a lot of irate folks to deal with if not a small riot on their hands. :)

In 1968 the Jets wre leading the Raiders 32 to 29 with 65 seconds left in the game, when NBC left the game to start the movie "Heidi" on time. In that last 65 seconds, the Raiders scored 14 points to win the game 43 to 32. The fans were so outraged they jammed the NBC switchboard and all its affiliates for hours. No network has EVER pulled such a boner again. :)
Right! The notorious "Heidi" game! That was the late game that Sunday afternoon. I remember that game because I was pre-empted from it because I had Confirmation Class at church that evening.

Since then, Confirmation Classes have been held on Saturday evenings, if the Buckeyes aren't playing at that time. Seems we have our priorities in order here now!:eusa_angel:

I think if you want a Fast Paced, Drama, and Tough sport go to a Hockey Game..

Even though I play it It's still fun to watch at the Rink.

I enjoy hockey, but there just is not enough scoring... maybe if they made the nets say 50% bigger?

And another thing that takes a lot of the enjoyment out of hockey for me... I'm ice skate challenged. :lol: Living in the San Francisco Bay Area in my athletic days, ice skating and hockey were not available to us so I never got involved with the excitement of the game.

I vaguely remember that there was a SF Team called the San Francisco Seals, I believe, but they moved to Minnesota I think when I was a pre-teen.

Probably why I am not much of a NBA fan either... we had the Golden State Warriors... have they made the playoffs in the last 45 years? How the hell does a team miss the playoffs so many times in a row when 80% of the teams make it to the playoffs every year?

Immie

haha, Well, That's what's so exciting when someone scores a goal, Think about it.. A net like that you got to have some Skill, especially when you can, Pull back, Aim, and snap it perfectly in a corner..

while it's true some games end up 2-1 or so, It's fun to see them go at it, and It's the only sport of the Big 4 that let you fight, hell 2 whole teams can go at it, and Goalies too.. What's no exciting about that?

Here. ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAPhqXj_24I]YouTube - Sabres VS Senators BRAWL 2/22/07[/ame]

When I played soccer in school, not on the high school team but for fun, I played goalie. I played some floor hockey and I played goalie. I want to see the skill of the goalie. Some of those guys are big enough with pads to stand in front of the net and block any puck coming at them without hardly having to move at all... where is the skill in that?

Immie

Immie

Here. ;)

When I played soccer in school, not on the high school team but for fun, I played goalie. I played some floor hockey and I played goalie. I want to see the skill of the goalie. Some of those guys are big enough with pads to stand in front of the net and block any puck coming at them without hardly having to move at all... where is the skill in that?

Immie

It's not as easy as its seems.. Trust me, The player can pretty much smoke you if you don't have Balance and Flexibility. not to mention the puck isn't very big, so It can sneak in anywhere..

I've played hockey for 5 years, Traveled all over the West coast from FL to Canada, Me and a couple buddies went to the Rink for fun, I said you know what, let me try being Goalie, Got into the Pads and on the ice.. Got scored pretty much all the time.. :lol:

And for excitement, don't forget Dave Casper's catch in the end zone known as THE CATCH, or the Titans falling one half yard short of winning the Super Bowl. The Immaculate Deception... aka Immaculate Reception by some untruthful Stealers fans. :lol: We could go on and on and on with that.

Immie

And for excitement, don't forget Dave Casper's catch in the end zone known as THE CATCH, or the Titans falling one half yard short of winning the Super Bowl. The Immaculate Deception... aka Immaculate Reception by some untruthful Stealers fans. :lol: We could go on and on and on with that.

Immie
One more crack about The Immaculate Reception and I'll be forced by state law to call you out! And it's StEElers, not stealers. Win six Super Bowls and we'll talk!:eusa_hand:

New Topics

Forum List

Back