Why Soccer Will NEVER Catch On In America

I love American Football. In my humble opinion there is no sport in the world like it. A game can turn on a single play at any time in the game.

I used to love to play soccer and several other sports, but there has never been any game that has captured my attention the way a good NFL game can.

But, like (I think) Dr. Grump said, a lot of the power of a sport is knowing the history of the teams and players. There is no history for me... hell, I can't even understand the language they broadcast most games in!

Another thing, I don't like is, as Divecon, said the extended play. That drives me crazy... I gotta pee and the damn ref wants to keep the game going without giving me any idea when it is gonna end!! Piss on 'im! :lol:

Immie

That's probably my biggest bugbear with American Football. A game that is supposed to be an hour long goes for four.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..........

Yet, with Soccer it goes for 90+ minutes and absolutely nothing happens for 90+ minutes. A few seconds to score a goal and maybe 2 - 3 goals a game. Sorry, but that brings about the "yawn" in me.

And typically, an NFL game goes 3 hours, not 4... but who's countin'?

Immie

Yet, with Soccer it goes for 90+ minutes and absolutely nothing happens for 90+ minutes. A few seconds to score a goal and maybe 2 - 3 goals a game. Sorry, but that brings about the "yawn" in me.

Immie

Ah, but the near misses, the skills, the drama! Like any sport football can be boring, but generally, at the top level, it's anything but....

That's why Baseball movies and highlight reels are all you need to watch. Everything else sucks about the sport.

Immie

Ah, but the near misses, the skills, the drama! Like any sport football can be boring, but generally, at the top level, it's anything but....

And the NFL has strategy, both offense and defense whereas, soccer is kick the ball around until you get lucky. Soccer is a lot of fun to play, but not any fun to watch.

Skills, I can see and understand... drama? Where? When?

You want drama in a sport, the NFL is the place to turn... then again if you want a cure for insomnia...

... turn to the NBA. :lol:

Immie

You're the one who posted the source, Moron. Don't believe in your own sources (rhetoricial question).....
i posted a source, you question the number only, i didn't say a number
they DID
you are the fucking MORON you pathetic piece of shit'

Again, you post sources you don't believe in. Who's the moron again, Moron? :cuckoo:
they made the claim of the number, dipshit, that makes YOU the fucking moron
its the NFL, dipshit
they said the number
they must have something you don't know
you again remain the fucking moron

btw, from the story
A total of 54 international broadcasters will televise the game to 232 countries and territories in 33 languages.
i guess you didnt bother to read the actual story and did your usual liberal dipshit routine

Last edited:
I think if you want a Fast Paced, Drama, and Tough sport go to a Hockey Game..

Even though I play it It's still fun to watch at the Rink.

I think if you want a Fast Paced, Drama, and Tough sport go to a Hockey Game..

Even though I play it It's still fun to watch at the Rink.

I enjoy hockey, but there just is not enough scoring... maybe if they made the nets say 50% bigger?

And another thing that takes a lot of the enjoyment out of hockey for me... I'm ice skate challenged. :lol: Living in the San Francisco Bay Area in my athletic days, ice skating and hockey were not available to us so I never got involved with the excitement of the game.

I vaguely remember that there was a SF Team called the San Francisco Seals, I believe, but they moved to Minnesota I think when I was a pre-teen.

Probably why I am not much of a NBA fan either... we had the Golden State Warriors... have they made the playoffs in the last 45 years? How the hell does a team miss the playoffs so many times in a row when 80% of the teams make it to the playoffs every year?

Immie

Last edited:
I forgot to put this into the OP. Check this out:

How To Watch a Soccer Game on Television

Tivo it. Don't actually watch it until you are sure the game is fully over. Turn on the t.v. Select the soccer game. Fast forward through all of the pre-game hype (as you would do anyway, of course). As soon as the game starts, set your fast forward to Level 3. Keep your eye on the little scoreboard on your screen. As long as the score remains 0 to 0, do nothing, just keep fast forwarding.

As soon as a score appears, stop the Tivo, back up until the scoreboard goes back to 0 to 0. Play at regular speed and watch the goal being scored. Resume fast forward until the next score appears. Repeat previous procedure to view next goal scored.

And so forth, throughout the entire game.

You can see the entire thing in less than 20 minutes. God bless Tivo!

Tivo it. Don't actually watch it until you are sure the game is fully over. Turn on the t.v. Select the soccer game. Fast forward through all of the pre-game hype (as you would do anyway, of course). As soon as the game starts, set your fast forward to Level 3. Keep your eye on the little scoreboard on your screen. As long as the score remains 0 to 0, do nothing, just keep fast forwarding.

As soon as a score appears, stop the Tivo, back up until the scoreboard goes back to 0 to 0. Play at regular speed and watch the goal being scored. Resume fast forward until the next score appears. Repeat previous procedure to view next goal scored.

ROFLMAO

while that is funny
i did see some good games during the world cup
but the final was BORING
and all the fake injuries and the refs totally clueless totally turned me off for following the sport

ROFLMAO

while that is funny
i did see some good games during the world cup
but the final was BORING
and all the fake injuries and the refs totally clueless totally turned me off for following the sport

I actually did watch the last 20 minutes or so of today's soccer yawner in that fashion. And I watched a number of Stanley Cup (ice hockey) games the same way. True story.

:cuckoo:
its the NFL, dipshit
they said the number

btw, from the story
A total of 54 international broadcasters will televise the game to 232 countries and territories in 33 languages.
i guess you didnt bother to read the actual story and did your usual liberal dipshit routine

You're the one who brought it up as some little nugget to 'prove' that somehow American Football was popular overseas. Your post said as much, but being the stupid Neanderthal that you are, you didn't delve a little deeper. Just because something is shown, doesn't mean it's popular, or people like it...Moron...

...and you posted that piece trying to back up your assertion and now you're trying to blame it on the source. Typical neocon whackjob, refuses to take responsibility for his actions...
...haven't you got a Conspiracy Theory thread to salivate over?

Last edited:
You're the one who brought it up as some little nugget to 'prove' that somehow American Football was popular overseas. Your post said as much, but being the stupid Neanderthal that you are, you didn't delve a little deeper. Just because something is shown, doesn't mean it's popular, or people like it...Moron...
yeah, thats why they put something on tv all over the world, cause no one wants to watch

you just proved me right for calling you a fucking moron

:cuckoo:
its the NFL, dipshit
they said the number

btw, from the story

...and you posted that piece trying to back up your assertion and now you're trying to blame it on the source. Typical neocon whackjob, refuses to take responsibility for his actions...
...haven't you got a Conspiracy Theory thread to salivate over?
what a fucking idiot you are
LOL
but then, i've known that for some time
you still think a neocon is a right wing nut
you are as clueless as anyone can be

And the NFL has strategy, both offense and defense whereas, soccer is kick the ball around until you get lucky. Soccer is a lot of fun to play, but not any fun to watch.

Skills, I can see and understand... drama? Where? When?

You want drama in a sport, the NFL is the place to turn... then again if you want a cure for insomnia...

Drama? God, you haven't watched a Merseyside, Manchester, London or Tyneside Derby. Nor have you seen some of the great world cup finals and semi finals. France vs Germany in 82 or Brazil vs Italy in that same year, or the 1990 semi final between England and Germany, or the Ghana vs US game in this world cup where some prat of a ref disallowed a goal almost on full time, or Ghana vs Uruguay where Suarez handled on the line only for hte penalty to be saved. What about the 2005 European Cup final where Liverpool were down 3-0, came back to 3-3 and for Liverpool goalkeeper Jerzey Dudek to save a point blank shot with about a minute to go, then there was a penalty shootout which Liverpool won, or the 2001European Cup final where Manchester United were down 1-0 with a minute to go and they scored 2 goals in the space of three minutes. That's just off the top of my head. Drama! You want drama! I'll give you drama! ..;o)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back