Zone1 Why Protestants annoy me (and other Catholics)

not sure I get this.. I was talking about focusing on PEOPLE, not religion.
Not all religions do this all of the time. If they do, that’s one worth considering
no religion can drive you nuts if you don't let it
So you’re saying exactly what I am saying. You need to question instead of having blind obedience.
People.. my goodness.. one cannot escape them entirely... love them, don't alwayss like them...
?..

who said anything about communicating with "a god"?
“God has given me a personal revelation...” Your words.
Really ? He/she must have communicated some way, some how, some where.
sheez... you're sounding like some of the ... words fail.. but some of the more annoying posters here
If it’s annoying, maybe it’s you who don’t have the answers and like most believers, ask others for “ faith” in what you say. You’re asking too much.

So you’re saying exactly what I am saying. You need to question instead of having blind obedience.
Blind?

I'm not the one who is blind... seems to me many on this board are blind... refuse to listen to anything a person has to say.. bc they know it all already, dontcha know?

you sounded somewhat open minded yesterday

but I guess that was yesterday...

I'm not Catholic. It developed side by side with the Church. It veered off in its own direction adopting pagan traditions (Sunday, Christmas, Easter, heaven/hell doctrine) to bring in the gentiles who didn't want to give up their pagan practices.
Yes, very nice post CarlinAnnArbor.

Blind?

I'm not the one who is blind... seems to me many on this board are blind... refuse to listen to anything a person has to say.. bc they know it all already, dontcha know?

Open mindedness to opinions is opening the door to a traveling salesman then living your life according to his edicts without questioning. Anyone who doesn’t seek some evidence is a fool.

Open mindedness to opinions is opening the door to a traveling salesman then living your life according to his edicts without questioning. Anyone who doesn’t seek some evidence is a fool.
you aren't seeking anything.

You don't know what I know.. what true Catholics know.. yet you write it off as though it were all just another lifestyle like the bzillions we know about all around us... gay lifestyle.. non-denominational lifestyle.. you name it...

No, it is NOT what you describe at all... not at all

The RCC is the Church Christ founded. And if you don't care about that, then you don't (objectively) care about your miserable soul and will likely end up in Hell when u die..

I can't do anything about that kind of apathy. Even Jesus does not save someone against his/her own will

Why is it anti Christian to question the seemingly contradictory facets of Christianity or for that matter, any religion. If you have nothing to fear, the answers should be obvious, easily verifiable and easily understood.
They are.

Blind?

You have nothing to teach anyone. You are a bigoted snob.

When things were normal in the Catholic world, ie Catholics had the Vatican,

obviously, there were more Churches in the world than just the ones @ the Vatican.

And all Catholic churches are different insome way or another. But they all USED to (until 1958) teach thesame things:

you have to be baptized
infants are also
7 Sacraments
must die in state of grace, no unrepented of mortal sins or you end up in Hell

etc... etc..

Today, who knows what you get w/ any given Catholic Church, unless you attend Mass at a Sedevacantist Church. Then you get the real deal.

You didn't answer his question.

Only if you accept the contradictions in a bible as message from a being who is beyond our understanding. Really ? He’s beyond our understanding ?
So ask a question, for real. And, yes, He is far beyond your ability to understand. You couldn't create the universe with a word, after all.

So ask a question, for real. And, yes, He is far beyond your ability to understand. You couldn't create the universe with a word, after all.
So, he’s beyond our understanding yet you understand him.

So, he’s beyond our understanding yet you understand him.
I understand what He says about Himself. You're not asking any questions. Why not, haven't had time to look up your favorite sites for the latest "gotcha" questions atheists are supposed to ask?

I understand what He says about Himself. You're not asking any questions. Why not, haven't had time to look up your favorite sites for the latest "gotcha" questions atheists are supposed to ask?
I asked questions you refused to answer. You accept stuff on faith. You do know what faith is…..it’s the lack of evidence.

I asked questions you refused to answer. You accept stuff on faith. You do know what faith is…..it’s the lack of evidence.
No, faith is the evidence of things not seen. Humor me, ask one of them again.

Only if you accept the contradictions in a bible as message from a being who is beyond our understanding. Really ? He’s beyond our understanding ?
While we may not have complete understanding of God, the Bible itself is not beyond our understanding. Still, Bible study requires a lot of time and work to understand it properly.

Still, Bible study requires a lot of time and work to understand it properly.
A lot of study and most is interpretation. That alone is a big warning sign. There are 12 different main versions of the Bible. The Bible is great literature. But like a novel there is much disagreement.

A lot of study and most is interpretation. That alone is a big warning sign. There are 12 different main versions of the Bible. The Bible is great literature. But like a novel there is much disagreement.
Discussion and contemplation. I don't understand why people think everyone should be in lockstep over the Bible. Any ideas?

That's why I read (have read all of) the Douay Rheims Bible, which is NON-interpretative. St Jerome, when he came to a difficult passage (he transcribed the Word from Hebrew/Aramaic into Latin) did NOT interpret the confusing passage (and if St Jerome was confused...!). He left the psg as-is so as not to mess with and possibly come up with a wrong interpretation. So sometimes (I say Rarely) the DR Bible may sound odd... Yet, I myself do not recall anything (or anything much anyhow) that I could not understand.. and again, I have read the entire thing.

So yeh... we don't need merely human interpretation (subjective as that normally is)

That's why I read (have read all of) the Douay Rheims Bible, which is NON-interpretative. St Jerome, when he came to a difficult passage (he transcribed the Word from Hebrew/Aramaic into Latin) did NOT interpret the confusing passage (and if St Jerome was confused...!). He left the psg as-is so as not to mess with and possibly come up with a wrong interpretation. So sometimes (I say Rarely) the DR Bible may sound odd... Yet, I myself do not recall anything (or anything much anyhow) that I could not understand.. and again, I have read the entire thing.

So yeh... we don't need merely human interpretation (subjective as that normally is)
And yet, everyone of the other interpretations is just as valid in the eyes of their followers too.

Forum List

Back