Why Not Build the Fence?

We have one in California and it works quite well; that is one of the reasons why illegal immigration has shifted to Texas. The disingenuous arguments about cost and effectiveness remind me of the opposition to anti-missile defenses in the 1980's. Try telling the Israelis that they don't work.

This is why:

Powell Criticizes Israeli Fence in West Bank
Published August 05, 2003
Associated Press
Facebook0 Twitter0 livefyre

WASHINGTON – Secretary of State Colin Powell (search) says he is concerned that the security fence Israel is building could impede peacemaking with the Palestinians.

"A nation is within its rights to put up a fence if it sees the need for one," Powell said in a broadcast to Arab countries. However, he said, "In the case of the Israeli fence, we are concerned when the fence crosses over onto the land of others."

US gave Israel no end of grief over the security fence. If US now supports or actually builds such a fence they'll be decried hypocrites by the whole world.

US shoulda minded their own business regarding the Israel security fence . I wouldn't care if foreigners call the USA hypocrites .

Why Not Build the Fence?

Because a 'fence' won't work:

Most experts say that physical fencing would not drastically decrease the number of illegal immigrants entering the country. The Pew Hispanic Center estimates that as much as 40-50 percent of the U.S.’s unauthorized migrant population entered the country through legal ports of entry, either with nonimmigrant visas that subsequently expired (known as “overstayers”) or by using a Border Crossing Card that allows for short visits to the border region. A fence spanning the border would not prevent their entry to the country.

The Border Fence Folly | New Republic

The Pew Hispanic Center estimates that as much as 40-50 percent of the U.S.’s unauthorized migrant population entered the country through legal ports of entry

Sounds like a fence would stop 50-60%.

That's a good start.

yeah , good start and might be more effective than that 5o-60 percent .

What is really funny is the US Government has no problems with Israel building a fence. The US Government has no problems building a fence around Baghdad. In fact the US wants to build border fence between Iraq and Iran yet they have no intention of building a fence at our southern boarder because they say it will not work. If fences do not work why do they have one around the White House?

Could just mine the border. Works keeping DPRK out of South Korea. It's what the anti-illegal side wants. If they could they'd mine it, build a fence, electrify it, and post armed sentries all along to shoot anyone trying to come over.

heard that IKE did some effective controls but I'm not aware of what he did . Think that he was pretty effective at controlling the border though .

Could just mine the border. Works keeping DPRK out of South Korea. It's what the anti-illegal side wants. If they could they'd mine it, build a fence, electrify it, and post armed sentries all along to shoot anyone trying to come over.

If people OTM commit a large terror attack here, we might wish we had mined the border.

Thank you (and your cohorts) for validating the purpose of this thread, which was to expose your disingenuous and irrational opposition to U.S. border security.

Thank you (and your cohorts) for validating the purpose of this thread, which was to expose your disingenuous and irrational opposition to U.S. border security.

Bulgaria just put up a razor wire fence along its border. Either you believe in countries and borders or you don't. Liberals don't in keeping with their pure ignorance on most subjects.

They oppose border security because:

1) they feel America stole the SW and want to give it back

2) it gets them votes from the larger immigrant community

3) the hate America and feel an open border dilutes the evil of America.

I'm always surprised how many problems that conservatives identify would have been solved if we'd let the commies take over Mexico and the Muslim world.

I'm always surprised how many problems that conservatives identify would have been solved if we'd let the commies take over Mexico and the Muslim world.

I'm always surprised how many problems that liberals identify would have been solved if we'd let the commies take over the US.

Forum List

Back