Why No Women NFL Refs or Coaches?

Gagafritz

Lady Germanotta Snicks
Dec 4, 2011
Why aren't there any women refs in the pros like NFL, NBA or whatever? You can't say because it is too physically demanding. Lots of old geezer refs. Why not? As for getting hit, an in shape woman isn't going to be harmed any more than these old duffer refs. And, why no coaches? We see plenty of male coaches in women's sports. Basketball is a big sport for women and yet we haven't seen any breakthroughs in that.

Most of the coaches are ex-ball players, but you may have a point on refs... But... It's really a man-affair. I mean, it's a sausage fest out there. I doubt a woman would feel comfortable in that situation.

No. I think it is a reasonable and serious question. As for "no women" wanting to be refs, how do you know? I can't believe that and that. I really don't see why there couldn't be some female refs.

Go for it ---

Begin by qualifying as a high school football official. Explore the website of the National Association of Athletic Officials (NASO). Review what it says about the skills and training needed to become a high school football official.

Contact your state high school athletic association. Check out its requirements for certification as an NFL referee. Attend its rules clinics. Pass the required tests and begin officiating at high school football games.

Network whenever possible. Study the rules and know them as well if not better than everyone else. Stay in top physical condition.

Move to the next level of competition, college athletics. Familiarize yourself with the various college athletic conferences and who the heads of officiating are at each conference. Specialize in one area of officiating--referee, line judge, backfield judge--as much as possible while knowing all aspects of the rulebook.

Attend college officiating clinics. Continue networking. Let it be known that you are interested in moving to the ranks of intercollegiate officiating. If need be, take an officiating position at a Division II level in order to move to Division I.

Officiate at Division I for at least 10 years, continuing to network, taking high visibility assignments like bowl games when possible. After 7 or 8 years, let your interest in becoming an NFL official be known. Attend NFL clinics for officials.

When you have established the necessary credentials and resume necessary to become an NFL official, apply at the office of NFL officials. Continue to apply until you are hired. Work diligently until you are assigned to a Super Bowl. Then--rack your brains, eyesight, and powers of judgment trying to figure out if the receiver got his second foot down inbounds for a game winning touchdown.

Go for it ---

Begin by qualifying as a high school football official. Explore the website of the National Association of Athletic Officials (NASO). Review what it says about the skills and training needed to become a high school football official.

Contact your state high school athletic association. Check out its requirements for certification as an NFL referee. Attend its rules clinics. Pass the required tests and begin officiating at high school football games.

Network whenever possible. Study the rules and know them as well if not better than everyone else. Stay in top physical condition.

Move to the next level of competition, college athletics. Familiarize yourself with the various college athletic conferences and who the heads of officiating are at each conference. Specialize in one area of officiating--referee, line judge, backfield judge--as much as possible while knowing all aspects of the rulebook.

Attend college officiating clinics. Continue networking. Let it be known that you are interested in moving to the ranks of intercollegiate officiating. If need be, take an officiating position at a Division II level in order to move to Division I.

Officiate at Division I for at least 10 years, continuing to network, taking high visibility assignments like bowl games when possible. After 7 or 8 years, let your interest in becoming an NFL official be known. Attend NFL clinics for officials.

When you have established the necessary credentials and resume necessary to become an NFL official, apply at the office of NFL officials. Continue to apply until you are hired. Work diligently until you are assigned to a Super Bowl. Then--rack your brains, eyesight, and powers of judgment trying to figure out if the receiver got his second foot down inbounds for a game winning touchdown.

I am not suggesting any different. Except the 'top physical shape' thing is a bit of a joke. None of those refs look like fine tuned atheletes. But, yes, let's open up and recruit some women refs at lower levels and start there. But, if it is known that you shouldn't bother cuz you won't get in, what other choice is there? Schools and lower levels could certainly enlist that type of help.

In terms of coaches, I don't think there are many women that have paid their dues. A woman would have to show success at lower levels before she would even be considered. There are almost no women coaches at even the High School level. To get a job at even High School, a woman would need to have gained experience somewhere. Since women do not play football, it is hard to get their foot in the door

The bigger question should be why are there no women coaches of ANY mens sport?

Why aren't there any women refs in the pros like NFL, NBA or whatever? You can't say because it is too physically demanding. Lots of old geezer refs. Why not? As for getting hit, an in shape woman isn't going to be harmed any more than these old duffer refs. And, why no coaches? We see plenty of male coaches in women's sports. Basketball is a big sport for women and yet we haven't seen any breakthroughs in that.

there is one in the NBA.

p1_violetpalmer.jpg

That's actually a good question but it does get rough out there, I was watching the Celtics/Magic game the other day and 2 very tall 7 foot centers got into a shoving match and a fight almost broke out, if something were to happen and a female coach got in the middle of that it could get ugly, plus alot of these ball players have attitudes and bad tempers, I don't know how they would feel taking orders from a woman. I'm not against female coaches, I don't know how it would work though.

Alot of women in sports really look and act like men anyway so even if you allowed women refs (who just don't belong at this point) would it really be a woman?

Maybe we should have an Eskimo midget lady coach in the NFL that is a stern Muslim follower. That would cover all bases.

They have female refs in MMA!

3082688101_586f5d77ea.jpg

They aren't all over, but they exist. :)

I seem to remember, in the old days of UFC, one of the fighters having a woman as his coach, too.

As far as the 4 major sports go, I would guess it's a combination of factors. There's probably not a whole lot of demand by women to join the refs. As has already been said, it's a lot harder for a female coach to earn the experience a team would often be looking for. There's the question of whether the media firestorm that would surely follow the hiring of a female coach in a league like the NFL would be worth it to a team. You even have to consider questions of awkwardness in locker room situations.

There are a number of things I think would make it difficult for a woman to become a head coach. I wouldn't be opposed to it, though. I just don't know when someone will be willing to go through the crap they will likely experience to try it for many years.

Um..OK. I am merely asking what i think is a reasonable question. You cannot "pay your dues" if you have no opportunities even at the school yard levels. So, you cannot move up the chain if you can't even get on the chain. And, the physically fit crap, i think i have already addressed that with the geezer zebras getting knocked down. Yeah, a woman might get knocked down. Oh well. Sheesh.

They have female refs in MMA!

3082688101_586f5d77ea.jpg

They aren't all over, but they exist. :)

I seem to remember, in the old days of UFC, one of the fighters having a woman as his coach, too.

As far as the 4 major sports go, I would guess it's a combination of factors. There's probably not a whole lot of demand by women to join the refs. As has already been said, it's a lot harder for a female coach to earn the experience a team would often be looking for. There's the question of whether the media firestorm that would surely follow the hiring of a female coach in a league like the NFL would be worth it to a team. You even have to consider questions of awkwardness in locker room situations.

There are a number of things I think would make it difficult for a woman to become a head coach. I wouldn't be opposed to it, though. I just don't know when someone will be willing to go through the crap they will likely experience to try it for many years.
Why would there bu such "awkwardness" in the locker room? I had a male coach for my HS basketball team, so somehow that doesn't apply in reverse? Seems to me that there would be MORE awkwardness for a male coach and female team than the other way around if you wish to use that argument.

And, if these are the arguments, then we need to remove male coaches and refs immediately from all girls and women's sports.

Forum List

Back