Why Kids are so Rude these Days:

All kids are the same as they were 1000 years ago. Some good, some bad.

Except the outside influences are far more dangerous.

Do you have the "sagging pants" symdrome where you live, where the young fellows fasten their pants below their rear ends so as to display their boxer shorts? My understanding is that the influence for this "fashion statement" is the prison culture. They want to appear "cool" like the incarcerated felons do, at least in the way the young criminals are depicted in the motion pictures.

I think they're on to something.

I'm not sure how I'd label this, enabling maybe, but there are other things that go on as well. One thing I'm running into is a first grade girl who is very active on her own but for some reason HATES gym class. Gym day is Monday.

Five weeks ago, on Monday, I get a call from the school nurse at about 10 am. Daughter says she has a headache, is acting listless and needs to go home. I ask if she has a fever or anything else. Nope. But she has to come home. So I go and pick her up. She's fine within 10 minutes of hitting our front door.

Four weeks ago, Monday. I get a call from the school nurse at about 10:15 am. Daughter is acting "listless" and has a "fever" of 98.8. She has to come home. I ask what else is wrong. Nothing, but she has to come home. She's caught a little cold so I don't argue too much, if she's starting in with a fever a day at home won't hurt her. I walk in to pick her up and she's sitting there in her hat and coat, all zipped and bundled up and sweating. I asked the nurse if she'd unwrapped the kid before taking her temp. Nope. But she still has to go home because of her "fever". Daughter is fine within 10 minutes of hitting the front door.

Three weeks ago, Monday. Daughter hands me a note (obviously written by her) that gym class has been moved to Fridays and she wants to wear shoes that aren't sneakers. Nope. A little later that morning, right around 10 am, I get a call from the school nurse. Daughter has a runny nose and needs to come home. No fever, no other issues, but she says she has a headache and is acting "listless". I walk in to the nurse's office and daughter is climbing all over the nurse's desk. I refuse to take her home and explain to the nurse about the hated gym class, I'm told she has to go. Argument starts, I lose. She wasn't even in the front door before she was fine.

Two weeks ago, Monday. Daughter stayed home because she was actually sick.

Last week, about 10:15 am I get a call that Daughter is in the nurse's office with a headache and is again acting "listless". This time I show up with advil and refuse to take her home. Huge argument ensues, I win, little girl has to go to gym class, score one for Mom.

Yesterday, 10:10 am, I get a call from Grandpa that the school nurse called HIM to come pick up Daughter (my phone didn't ring) because she has pink eye. He's practically hyperventilating. I told him that's bullshit, she doesn't get pink eye in less than 2 hours. I went to the school, walked into the nurse's office and there sits Daughter rubbing one very red, watery eye. I bent down, took one look, took the eyelash out of it, showed it to the nurse and told her to send Daughter back to class when it stops watering. Nope, no such luck. She has to go home because she still insists it wasn't the eyelash, it has to be pink eye. :rolleyes:

Guess who was fine before we ever hit the front door, and guess who called the District Office raising holy hell? I am such a troublemaker. :D

Why do so many parents and some school officials think the kids know best? They're kids. That's what they have adults around for, because they don't know squat. Too many of the adults - parents, school nurses, whoever seem to forget that.

That's my rant for the day.

You know, it seems like that's an awful lot of effort from such a young child just to avoid being told what to do. It seems especially odd in that every other aspect of a first grader's day is organized with someone telling them what to do and you little one is fine with that. The shoe thing is really pretty sophisticated for a 6 or 7 year old. I wonder what you'd find if you just showed up in the gym on a Monday morning. My guess is you've either got another child harassing yours or a gym teacher that doesn't mind humiliating a child that's not performing up to their standards. Just a thought.

You know, it seems like that's an awful lot of effort from such a young child just to avoid being told what to do. It seems especially odd in that every other aspect of a first grader's day is organized with someone telling them what to do and you little one is fine with that. The shoe thing is really pretty sophisticated for a 6 or 7 year old. I wonder what you'd find if you just showed up in the gym on a Monday morning. My guess is you've either got another child harassing yours or a gym teacher that doesn't mind humiliating a child that's not performing up to their standards. Just a thought.

Nah, in the classroom she's teacher's pet and gets special "art projects" and things to keep her from being bored. Which is understandable but not entirely helpful.

She simply doesn't like what they're doing, wants to do something else, and will do just about anything to get her own way. I wish they would let me frogmarch her right back to school, but unfortunately little princess has a way of charming adults and a manipulative streak a mile wide and has since she was basically just a baby. With her spirit and determination one day she'll probably rule the world, but she needs to learn to follow the rules while she's doing it. And that's my job. ;)

Nope, not gonna blame this one on the teachers or anybody else. It's Daughter's problem for pulling her schtick and school nurse's for underestimating a gifted and determined 7-year-old and letting herself get hoodwinked.

Last edited:

Nah, in the classroom she's teacher's pet and gets special "art projects" and things to keep her from being bored. Which is understandable but not entirely helpful.

She simply doesn't like what they're doing, wants to do something else, and will do just about anything to get her own way. I wish they would let me frogmarch her right back to school, but unfortunately little princess has a way of charming adults and a manipulative streak a mile wide and has since she was basically just a baby. With her spirit and determination one day she'll probably rule the world, but she needs to learn to follow the rules while she's doing it. And that's my job. ;)

Nope, not gonna blame this one on the teachers or anybody else. It's Daughter's problem for pulling her schtick and school nurse's for underestimating a gifted and determined 7-year-old and letting herself get hoodwinked.

This situation is really sad because it's clear you don't know what to do (I wouldn't either, not that that's any consolation). You say she is gifted and smart, and has figured out how to manipulate grownups. Maybe you could find some movie to use as an example of a similar child and what ultimately happens if the child manages to alienate her friends, teachers, family because of her attitude. I can't think of any newer movies, but "The Bad Seed" comes to mind. And I'm not implying your daughter has a murderous streak, but the child in that movie was determined to have her way, regardless of the outcome. Something like that.

All kids are the same as they were 1000 years ago. Some good, some bad.

Except the outside influences are far more dangerous.

Do you have the "sagging pants" symdrome where you live, where the young fellows fasten their pants below their rear ends so as to display their boxer shorts? My understanding is that the influence for this "fashion statement" is the prison culture. They want to appear "cool" like the incarcerated felons do, at least in the way the young criminals are depicted in the motion pictures.

We have it all. Small states and communities aren't immune from teen "fashion" statements.

I'm not sure how I'd label this, enabling maybe, but there are other things that go on as well. One thing I'm running into is a first grade girl who is very active on her own but for some reason HATES gym class. Gym day is Monday.

Five weeks ago, on Monday, I get a call from the school nurse at about 10 am. Daughter says she has a headache, is acting listless and needs to go home. I ask if she has a fever or anything else. Nope. But she has to come home. So I go and pick her up. She's fine within 10 minutes of hitting our front door.

Four weeks ago, Monday. I get a call from the school nurse at about 10:15 am. Daughter is acting "listless" and has a "fever" of 98.8. She has to come home. I ask what else is wrong. Nothing, but she has to come home. She's caught a little cold so I don't argue too much, if she's starting in with a fever a day at home won't hurt her. I walk in to pick her up and she's sitting there in her hat and coat, all zipped and bundled up and sweating. I asked the nurse if she'd unwrapped the kid before taking her temp. Nope. But she still has to go home because of her "fever". Daughter is fine within 10 minutes of hitting the front door.

Three weeks ago, Monday. Daughter hands me a note (obviously written by her) that gym class has been moved to Fridays and she wants to wear shoes that aren't sneakers. Nope. A little later that morning, right around 10 am, I get a call from the school nurse. Daughter has a runny nose and needs to come home. No fever, no other issues, but she says she has a headache and is acting "listless". I walk in to the nurse's office and daughter is climbing all over the nurse's desk. I refuse to take her home and explain to the nurse about the hated gym class, I'm told she has to go. Argument starts, I lose. She wasn't even in the front door before she was fine.

Last week, about 10:15 am I get a call that Daughter is in the nurse's office with a headache and is again acting "listless". This time I show up with advil and refuse to take her home. Huge argument ensues, I win, little girl has to go to gym class, score one for Mom.

Yesterday, 10:10 am, I get a call from Grandpa that the school nurse called HIM to come pick up Daughter (my phone didn't ring) because she has pink eye. He's practically hyperventilating. I told him that's bullshit, she doesn't get pink eye in less than 2 hours. I went to the school, walked into the nurse's office and there sits Daughter rubbing one very red, watery eye. I bent down, took one look, took the eyelash out of it, showed it to the nurse and told her to send Daughter back to class when it stops watering. Nope, no such luck. She has to go home because she still insists it wasn't the eyelash, it has to be pink eye. :rolleyes:

Guess who was fine before we ever hit the front door, and guess who called the District Office raising holy hell? I am such a troublemaker. :D

Why do so many parents and some school officials think the kids know best? They're kids. That's what they have adults around for, because they don't know squat. Too many of the adults - parents, school nurses, whoever seem to forget that.

Something is wrong there. I would find out why my daughter doesn't want to go to gym. It could be she's being picked on. I know my son "severely autistic" would throw up on Thursdays, just after lunch. Every Thursday and they would call me to take him home. I finally asked what was happening on Thursdays that he didn't like. They said there was swimming but he liked that. I said there is something else going on then. Whatever it was, the school didn't tell me, but it stopped and he stopped throwing up on Thursdays.

Yeah, as a parent and a teacher I see these rude kids.

I discipline my daughter's friends if they are with us. My daughter even told me her best friend likes it when I do, since it shows I 'care.' And the second a kid talks back to me,,,they wish they could take back those moments in their life after I'm done with them!

Rude kids when you go out to eat, in stores, at social functions,,,I've seen it all, as I'm sure we all have.

Yesterday when I was gone all day doing things, I told my daughter to:

Clean her room, clean the living room, vacuum and do the dishes. When I came home it was ALL done, and I didn't have to tell her twice. She knows the consequences of what happens if she doesn't do the things I ask her, just like she knows what happens if she talks back to me, or any adult.

Parents need to set down rules, then FOLLOW THROUGH WITH THEM!

My kids always said the same. I remember saying to one girl, "That was rude." Her reply, "What?" She honestly didn't know. Same with sex, just wait for that. Seems boys and girls haven't any problem talking about what they did and how long ago. They actually need to be 'told,' "That is rude and crude."

That experience with the girl 10-15 years ago helped me as a teacher. While I always give rudeness the 'evil eye,' I make sure later to tell the student why. Often it's the same thing, they really didn't know and I've never had one not apologize. After that, they actually tell others that behavior is rude.

In fairness though, most kids I've come across whether friends of my kids or students I'm teaching are considerate. Someone is teaching them. It's the anomalies we recall. For some reason their parents do seem to take them to better restaurants. LOL!

Have you asked your daughter what she has against gym class? Maybe something else is going on.

Have you asked your daughter what she has against gym class? Maybe something else is going on.

Sure have. She doesn't like to be told what to do in an organized class, she'd rather they get out the equipment and she can choose what she does. That gets a big "too bad" from Mom. ;)

Something is wrong there. I would find out why my daughter doesn't want to go to gym. It could be she's being picked on. I know my son "severely autistic" would throw up on Thursdays, just after lunch. Every Thursday and they would call me to take him home. I finally asked what was happening on Thursdays that he didn't like. They said there was swimming but he liked that. I said there is something else going on then. Whatever it was, the school didn't tell me, but it stopped and he stopped throwing up on Thursdays.

I think mom probably has the best measure of her daughter. It could be they are doing some program she just doesn't like right now. I hated basketball! I got out of that constantly. I was lucky, my normal temperature is 99.2.

Most schools won't just send a child home, unless they are at least at 99.3, some 99.6. Yeah, they know about overheating. LOL! Which brings me to a related, but off topic a bit, if you child has a temp of 100.0 or above, keep them home for at least 24 hours AFTER it's gone back to normal or close to, without aspirin/tylenol.

Your daughter sounds very bright.

All of the parents that are so quick to look at bullying, I'd never discount it, but wouldn't put that up first. Kids pick up on that very quickly and before you know it, you're tied into every disagreement they have. They feel incompetent to deal with problems that wouldn't have been such, without you.

Maybe I run in better circles but all of my kids' friends have been unfailingly polite and respectful to me.

:eusa_angel:

Don't tell Libortroll that, he thinks all Liberal's Parents raise heathens!

In no way do I believe good or bad parenting runs along party lines. We can say that this rudeness stems from parents not having time to spend with their kids but let's face it, if the parents are douchebags, do you want them teaching their kids manners?

The focus of the article should not be centered on kids but on all people. Why are more people rude these days? I think it stems from so much "professionalism" in the workplace. The comradrie has been taken away and replaced with numbers and quotas and stupid PC expectations.

This may sound cheesy to many but workplace frustration has played a major part in our society. Hardly anyone has weekends off anymore and in the manufacturing and service world even the managers are over worked and under paid. Even those that still make 25 bucks an hour see their money not stretching nearly as it used to and people are angry. The rich are still getting richer though.... These frustrated people are the ones influencing their kids at home.

I blame the new Fuckulupugas on Sesamie Street.

And the Bitch Monster is not helping either?

Great thread. And I will resist ranting like I have the urge to do - over bratty kids. :evil:

This situation is really sad because it's clear you don't know what to do (I wouldn't either, not that that's any consolation). You say she is gifted and smart, and has figured out how to manipulate grownups. Maybe you could find some movie to use as an example of a similar child and what ultimately happens if the child manages to alienate her friends, teachers, family because of her attitude. I can't think of any newer movies, but "The Bad Seed" comes to mind. And I'm not implying your daughter has a murderous streak, but the child in that movie was determined to have her way, regardless of the outcome. Something like that.

No, she's actually very sweet and loving most of the time, a normal kid in most regards. Not at all murderous. :lol:

But it's that combination of intelligence, determination and knowing exactly how to charm (manipulate) the grownups around her. And of course once it's rewarded, like any normal kid she'll keep doing it. She's not evil, she's just seven and too smart for her own good. But the pattern of rewarding her is what needs to stop, and this school nurse is very young and inexperienced. Which is what I'm not sure how exactly to handle, since all my efforts at home don't do much good if they're undercut as soon as she walks in that door.

I guess the reason I brought this up at all was to demonstrate a point that hasn't really come out - a lot of adults, parents and others, are too quick to blame other people for things their kids do and look for other excuses. If there were a real outside problem of course that would be addressed posthaste. In this case there's a problem with the nurse that needs to be addressed, but in the end the blame lies not with the school but squarely with my daughter for engaging in the behavior in the first place. Making excuses for her or trying to blame her behavior on other people would be doing her a disservice in the long run - and teaching her she can avoid responsibility for her actions by pointing a finger at somebody else. No way.

Gold -- You could always try telling her the story (make one up) about crying wolf too many times. At least your daughter might think twice about faking sickness. As for related issues, I wish you all the luck in the world. I'm heartened that you aren't just shrugging this off as "It's just a phase," as I'm sure many parents are tempted to do.

Have a Happy Holiday with your family!

Better be careful, you'll have conjob and a few other clowns giving you holy hell like they have Samson for causing trouble at school. ;)

I discipline my daughter's friends if they are with us. My daughter even told me her best friend likes it when I do, since it shows I 'care.' And the second a kid talks back to me,,,they wish they could take back those moments in their life after I'm done with them!

Rude kids when you go out to eat, in stores, at social functions,,,I've seen it all, as I'm sure we all have.

Clean her room, clean the living room, vacuum and do the dishes. When I came home it was ALL done, and I didn't have to tell her twice. She knows the consequences of what happens if she doesn't do the things I ask her, just like she knows what happens if she talks back to me, or any adult.

My kids always said the same. I remember saying to one girl, "That was rude." Her reply, "What?" She honestly didn't know. Same with sex, just wait for that. Seems boys and girls haven't any problem talking about what they did and how long ago. They actually need to be 'told,' "That is rude and crude."

That experience with the girl 10-15 years ago helped me as a teacher. While I always give rudeness the 'evil eye,' I make sure later to tell the student why. Often it's the same thing, they really didn't know and I've never had one not apologize. After that, they actually tell others that behavior is rude.

In fairness though, most kids I've come across whether friends of my kids or students I'm teaching are considerate. Someone is teaching them. It's the anomalies we recall. For some reason their parents do seem to take them to better restaurants. LOL!

As an Assistant Scoutmaster of a large Boy Scout troop and a facebook user, I can't tell you how many of the boys I've had to counsel about things they post there. Do you realize who can see what you just said? Do you think it is appropriate? In this digital age, kids will say literally anything online and then act totally shocked when it comes back to bite them. Hello, do they not teach critical thinking skills at your school son?

As an Assistant Scoutmaster of a large Boy Scout troop and a facebook user, I can't tell you how many of the boys I've had to counsel about things they post there. Do you realize who can see what you just said? Do you think it is appropriate? In this digital age, kids will say literally anything online and then act totally shocked when it comes back to bite them. Hello, do they not teach critical thinking skills at your school son?

That is not the fault of the school, that are parents that haven't instilled a sense of boundaries that the kid internalizes. Common courtesy is taught at home and should be reinforced at school. Unless most of the kids are courteous, it's near impossible for the school to change the behavior.

That is not the fault of the school, that are parents that haven't instilled a sense of boundaries that the kid internalizes. Common courtesy is taught at home and should be reinforced at school. Unless most of the kids are courteous, it's near impossible for the school to change the behavior.

Yep, you are correct. My son is a couple of months away from turning 18. Ever since he was allowed online, the rule in our house was we had to have his ID and password and I always checked his pages to see what was going on and checked his cookies and history to see where he had been. This was before he knew anything about cookies and he wondered how dad could possibly know so much. He knew the house rules and he followed them. Still does. If one of his friends dropped the F bomb on his page, he knew to delete it immediately. I've always been shocked at the behavior of some kids online and the fact that their parents are oblivious to it. How can you possibly abdicate your responsibility as a parent like that?

There have been countless programs for adults (parents) regarding the dangers of posting on Facebook or texting pics/messages that kids don't realize can potentially get spread all over. But I think it's time someone produce one just for the teens. Maybe MTV or VH1 needs to step up, because kids generally don't tune into Dr. Phil or other adult programming that have covered this problem widely. They may be vaguely aware of the potential danger, but, being kids will think it can't happen to them. They need to see for themselves some of the teens tell their horror stories and how lives can be ruined.

Yep, Mini EZ is only allowed to use her laptop in the living room where I can see her. If I go to my bedroom to watch tv or chill, my door is open and I walk out there all the time to check on her. She's usually watching a movie on line with her friends or playing some game with them.

I made sure when I bought her laptop it didn't have a camera on it either, no 15 yo needs a camera on their computer.

But you're right, some of the stuff kids do on the net, thinking they aren't going to get "caught"-are you kidding me? Are they that naive? And are the parents?

It's nothing new, you could hear the same complaints thousands and thousands of years ago. :eek:

Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parent, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers.
- Socrates

Forum List

Back