Why Kids are so Rude these Days:

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
The article brings up some interesting theories:
But what seems to have changed recently, according to childrearing experts, is parental behavior - particularly among the most status-conscious and ambitious - along with the kinds of behavior parents expect from their kids. The pressure to do well is up. The demand to do good is down, way down, particularly if it's the kind of do-gooding that doesn't show up on a college application.

Once upon a time, parenting was largely about training children to take their proper place in their community, which, in large measure, meant learning to play by the rules and cooperate, said Alvin Rosenfeld, a child psychiatrist and co-author, with Nicole Wise, of "The OverScheduled Child: Avoiding the Hyperparenting Trap."

"There was a time when there was a certain code of conduct by which you viewed the character of a person," he said, "and you needed that code of conduct to have your place in the community."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/27/w...r=1&ex=1290747600&en=25f365eb96f90aa7&ei=5088

Kids suck.
anne-ramsey-in-the-goonies.jpg

Great article EZ.

as he related the wretched experience of dining in a four-star restaurant in the company of one child roller skating around his table and another watching a movie on a portable DVD player.

Over my dead body.

I do believe this is the first time in a long time, I've agreed with something that Madonna has said.

Most parents, Dr. Kindlon said, would like their children to be polite, considerate and well behaved. But they're too tired, worn down by work and personally needy to take up the task of teaching them proper behavior at home.
What gets thrown out the window is limits. It's a lot easier to pick their towel up off the floor than to get them away from the PlayStation to do it."

I am physically and emotionally exhausted at the end of each day, but I still find that little bit of energy to make sure my children ( youngest ) act properly and picks up after themselves. I'll go and shut down the computer or the video game, not giving a rat's ass that they were about to level up or some other BS. Take care of what you have to, because I'm not doing it for you!

Kids don't do chores at home anymore because there isn't time."

Mine do!

Thanks for the link.

Last edited:
Yeah, as a parent and a teacher I see these rude kids.

I discipline my daughter's friends if they are with us. My daughter even told me her best friend likes it when I do, since it shows I 'care.' And the second a kid talks back to me,,,they wish they could take back those moments in their life after I'm done with them!

Rude kids when you go out to eat, in stores, at social functions,,,I've seen it all, as I'm sure we all have.

Yesterday when I was gone all day doing things, I told my daughter to:

Clean her room, clean the living room, vacuum and do the dishes. When I came home it was ALL done, and I didn't have to tell her twice. She knows the consequences of what happens if she doesn't do the things I ask her, just like she knows what happens if she talks back to me, or any adult.

Parents need to set down rules, then FOLLOW THROUGH WITH THEM!

Maybe I run in better circles but all of my kids' friends have been unfailingly polite and respectful to me.

:eusa_angel:

Maybe I run in better circles but all of my kids' friends have been unfailingly polite and respectful to me.

:eusa_angel:

Don't tell Libortroll that, he thinks all Liberal's Parents raise heathens!

It's the narcissistic entitlement attitude devoid of basic politeness. One time when the trickle down theory has actually worked.

I think they're on to something.

I'm not sure how I'd label this, enabling maybe, but there are other things that go on as well. One thing I'm running into is a first grade girl who is very active on her own but for some reason HATES gym class. Gym day is Monday.

Five weeks ago, on Monday, I get a call from the school nurse at about 10 am. Daughter says she has a headache, is acting listless and needs to go home. I ask if she has a fever or anything else. Nope. But she has to come home. So I go and pick her up. She's fine within 10 minutes of hitting our front door.

Four weeks ago, Monday. I get a call from the school nurse at about 10:15 am. Daughter is acting "listless" and has a "fever" of 98.8. She has to come home. I ask what else is wrong. Nothing, but she has to come home. She's caught a little cold so I don't argue too much, if she's starting in with a fever a day at home won't hurt her. I walk in to pick her up and she's sitting there in her hat and coat, all zipped and bundled up and sweating. I asked the nurse if she'd unwrapped the kid before taking her temp. Nope. But she still has to go home because of her "fever". Daughter is fine within 10 minutes of hitting the front door.

Three weeks ago, Monday. Daughter hands me a note (obviously written by her) that gym class has been moved to Fridays and she wants to wear shoes that aren't sneakers. Nope. A little later that morning, right around 10 am, I get a call from the school nurse. Daughter has a runny nose and needs to come home. No fever, no other issues, but she says she has a headache and is acting "listless". I walk in to the nurse's office and daughter is climbing all over the nurse's desk. I refuse to take her home and explain to the nurse about the hated gym class, I'm told she has to go. Argument starts, I lose. She wasn't even in the front door before she was fine.

Two weeks ago, Monday. Daughter stayed home because she was actually sick.

Last week, about 10:15 am I get a call that Daughter is in the nurse's office with a headache and is again acting "listless". This time I show up with advil and refuse to take her home. Huge argument ensues, I win, little girl has to go to gym class, score one for Mom.

Yesterday, 10:10 am, I get a call from Grandpa that the school nurse called HIM to come pick up Daughter (my phone didn't ring) because she has pink eye. He's practically hyperventilating. I told him that's bullshit, she doesn't get pink eye in less than 2 hours. I went to the school, walked into the nurse's office and there sits Daughter rubbing one very red, watery eye. I bent down, took one look, took the eyelash out of it, showed it to the nurse and told her to send Daughter back to class when it stops watering. Nope, no such luck. She has to go home because she still insists it wasn't the eyelash, it has to be pink eye. :rolleyes:

Guess who was fine before we ever hit the front door, and guess who called the District Office raising holy hell? I am such a troublemaker. :D

Why do so many parents and some school officials think the kids know best? They're kids. That's what they have adults around for, because they don't know squat. Too many of the adults - parents, school nurses, whoever seem to forget that.

That's my rant for the day.

All kids are the same as they were 1000 years ago. Some good, some bad.

I'm not sure how I'd label this, enabling maybe, but there are other things that go on as well. One thing I'm running into is a first grade girl who is very active on her own but for some reason HATES gym class. Gym day is Monday.

Five weeks ago, on Monday, I get a call from the school nurse at about 10 am. Daughter says she has a headache, is acting listless and needs to go home. I ask if she has a fever or anything else. Nope. But she has to come home. So I go and pick her up. She's fine within 10 minutes of hitting our front door.

Four weeks ago, Monday. I get a call from the school nurse at about 10:15 am. Daughter is acting "listless" and has a "fever" of 98.8. She has to come home. I ask what else is wrong. Nothing, but she has to come home. She's caught a little cold so I don't argue too much, if she's starting in with a fever a day at home won't hurt her. I walk in to pick her up and she's sitting there in her hat and coat, all zipped and bundled up and sweating. I asked the nurse if she'd unwrapped the kid before taking her temp. Nope. But she still has to go home because of her "fever". Daughter is fine within 10 minutes of hitting the front door.

Three weeks ago, Monday. Daughter hands me a note (obviously written by her) that gym class has been moved to Fridays and she wants to wear shoes that aren't sneakers. Nope. A little later that morning, right around 10 am, I get a call from the school nurse. Daughter has a runny nose and needs to come home. No fever, no other issues, but she says she has a headache and is acting "listless". I walk in to the nurse's office and daughter is climbing all over the nurse's desk. I refuse to take her home and explain to the nurse about the hated gym class, I'm told she has to go. Argument starts, I lose. She wasn't even in the front door before she was fine.

Last week, about 10:15 am I get a call that Daughter is in the nurse's office with a headache and is again acting "listless". This time I show up with advil and refuse to take her home. Huge argument ensues, I win, little girl has to go to gym class, score one for Mom.

Yesterday, 10:10 am, I get a call from Grandpa that the school nurse called HIM to come pick up Daughter (my phone didn't ring) because she has pink eye. He's practically hyperventilating. I told him that's bullshit, she doesn't get pink eye in less than 2 hours. I went to the school, walked into the nurse's office and there sits Daughter rubbing one very red, watery eye. I bent down, took one look, took the eyelash out of it, showed it to the nurse and told her to send Daughter back to class when it stops watering. Nope, no such luck. She has to go home because she still insists it wasn't the eyelash, it has to be pink eye. :rolleyes:

Guess who was fine before we ever hit the front door, and guess who called the District Office raising holy hell? I am such a troublemaker. :D

Why do so many parents and some school officials think the kids know best? They're kids. That's what they have adults around for, because they don't know squat. Too many of the adults - parents, school nurses, whoever seem to forget that.

Have you asked your daughter what she has against gym class? Maybe something else is going on.

Kids act the way they act these days because parents don't beat their asses when they misbehave. OK. Y'all can bring on all the feel good liberal "don't raise a hand to my kid" bullshit but the fact remains... Spare the rod and spoil the child.

Have you asked your daughter what she has against gym class? Maybe something else is going on.

Sure have. She doesn't like to be told what to do in an organized class, she'd rather they get out the equipment and she can choose what she does. That gets a big "too bad" from Mom. ;)

I agree, I would look into that.

Sure have. She doesn't like to be told what to do in an organized class, she'd rather they get out the equipment and she can choose what she does. That gets a big "too bad" from Mom. ;)
I did with my kids what my mom did with me. If I faked being sick, she faked thinking I was sick and made me spend the entire day in bed, trying to sleep, with nothing to eat but chicken soup and toast. I think I pulled that twice. :lol:

I did with my kids what my mom did with me. If I faked being sick, she faked thinking I was sick and made me spend the entire day in bed, trying to sleep, with nothing to eat but chicken soup and toast. I think I pulled that twice. :lol:

Which is a given. :lol: But she really, really hates basketball and introductory gymnastics. I never liked basketball much either, and I understand she gets bored with scales and rolls when she's up to learning the bars in her regular gymnastics class, but it's a required class and she must do as she's told. End of story.

Unfortunately she still has 4 unnecessary absences on her transcript along with 2 necessary ones, so if she gets legitimately sick and has to miss several days for the flu or something I'm getting a knock on the door from the truancy officers.

Forum List

Back