Why is the rightwing's argument against food stamps so 1 dimensional?

83% of food stamps funding goes to households with at least 1 dependent living there. The average person on food stamps gets $133 per month and the average income of a household on food stamps is about $733 per MONTH. When we are talking about people on food stamps, we are talking about people who are dirt poor. The eligibility of this program, contrary to popular belief, is very narrow.

Now when you bring up the well being of children on food stamps, conservatives will say "well the mother should have kept her legs closed derp derp derp!"

While it can be agreed that the mother shouldn't have had kids she couldn't support it doesn't change the fact that kids exist now does it? What is this poverty stricken mother supposed to do with these kids? Give them to the state? Like it or not, these kids should still need to be supported right? They need nutritious food that is critical to their development. That is why the mother needs food stamps.

Seriously if you are so concerned about mothers avoiding having kids they can't afford, then maybe you should re think your views on abortion. Of course this problem will only get worse because of the defunding of Planned Parenthood. 97% of what the program does is provide reproductive support to women such as birth control. 3% goes to abortion, which is obviously a good alternative to raising kids you can't support.

Republicans only seek to destroy a program that not only helps kids, it helps veterans. They of course have no problem with providing subsidies and tax breaks to corporations. Why would anyone vote for these clowns?

Facts About SNAP | Food and Nutrition Service
Every time this subject comes up, and it comes up often, I always ask those against government assistance, to tell me what they'll do with the children, the elderly, the mentally ill, the handicapped, the Vets, and those unemployed, if they can't get food stamps. So far, no one has answered the question. Some say force them to get jobs. So, I ask where do they find jobs. Then I say that little children can't work, and if we cut off the parents, who feeds their children. And, to this day, no one has given an answer to those questions. Jerks want to cut assistance programs, but have no idea as to what to do with those left doing without. That shows the obvious mentality of those that hate the poor.

Then I ask why not first stop the care and support of illegal immigrants, stop foreign aid to foreign governments, stop subsidies to rich farmers and big oil, stop excessive military spending, stop supplying weapons to drug lords and terrorists, stop building mosques on foreign soil, and stop tax breaks for corporations and the wealthy. And they give no answer. They want to cut the throats of American citizens, but never say a word about illegal immigrants, foreign governments, or other waste of taxpayers' hard earned dollars. Go figure.
This sums up everything perfectly.

83% of food stamps funding goes to households with at least 1 dependent living there. The average person on food stamps gets $133 per month and the average income of a household on food stamps is about $733 per MONTH. When we are talking about people on food stamps, we are talking about people who are dirt poor. The eligibility of this program, contrary to popular belief, is very narrow.

Now when you bring up the well being of children on food stamps, conservatives will say "well the mother should have kept her legs closed derp derp derp!"

While it can be agreed that the mother shouldn't have had kids she couldn't support it doesn't change the fact that kids exist now does it? What is this poverty stricken mother supposed to do with these kids? Give them to the state? Like it or not, these kids should still need to be supported right? They need nutritious food that is critical to their development. That is why the mother needs food stamps.

Seriously if you are so concerned about mothers avoiding having kids they can't afford, then maybe you should re think your views on abortion. Of course this problem will only get worse because of the defunding of Planned Parenthood. 97% of what the program does is provide reproductive support to women such as birth control. 3% goes to abortion, which is obviously a good alternative to raising kids you can't support.

Republicans only seek to destroy a program that not only helps kids, it helps veterans. They of course have no problem with providing subsidies and tax breaks to corporations. Why would anyone vote for these clowns?

So Billy you have at least a smart phone and on food stamps?

Don't you think you should get rid of it and eat?

What the hell are you rambling about now? Pathetic deflection. Regardless, smart phones are cheap and found everywhere, I can care less if someone has a shitty $30 android and is on food stamps.

You know I have come to realize that conservatives have a deficit with not only critical thinking, but empathy as well. They assume when a liberal advocates for something, they must be automatically involved with it. They believe this because conservatives only advocate for political issues that affect them directly. That is why they don't give a shit about women's issues, race, and extreme poverty, They don't have the intelligence to put themselves in someone else's shoes. No I'm not on food stamps, Bear.

Unfortunately for you, you would only come to have sympathy for these people if you became one of them.

What the hell are you rambling about now? Pathetic deflection. Regardless, smart phones are cheap and found everywhere, I can care less if someone has a shitty $30 android and is on food stamps.

Upset much?

You are to stupid to even figure it out

Right wingers are going to drown these puppies too.....

9324696606_b7deb93cdb_z.jpg

those mean right wingers!
More realistic to worry about the lefts president eating them.

So in other words you have no actual argument to put forth? Trust me I noticed the omission.

What is there to argue? The number of families on food stamps has grown from approx. 17 million to approx. 50 million in 10 years. When will you be happy? When every family in America is on food stamps?
You're missing the point. I don't believe that food stamps is a long term solution. It's an emergency measure for the very poor. I'm all for raising the minimum wage. That would drastically reduce food stamps participants you know that right?

temporary emergency measure? Kind of like liberal welfare? ?The kind that entire families stay on for generations, even though most could work and pay taxes like the rest of us and contribute to society AND feel good about themselves in the process?

How many libs died in New Orleans waiting for their gubmint check?

So in other words you have no actual argument to put forth? Trust me I noticed the omission.

What is there to argue? The number of families on food stamps has grown from approx. 17 million to approx. 50 million in 10 years. When will you be happy? When every family in America is on food stamps?
You're missing the point. I don't believe that food stamps is a long term solution. It's an emergency measure for the very poor. I'm all for raising the minimum wage. That would drastically reduce food stamps participants you know that right?

temporary emergency measure? Kind of like liberal welfare? ?The kind that entire families stay on for generations, even though most could work and pay taxes like the rest of us and contribute to society AND feel good about themselves in the process?

How the fuck are these people supposed to come out of poverty if these corporations, who are wealthier than ever before, keep refusing to allow any income gains below the 1%?

How the fuck are these people supposed to come out of poverty if these corporations, who are wealthier than ever before, keep refusing to allow any income gains below the 1%?

You are really a dumb person. Most people work for small business, not giant corporations.

In 2011, according to U.S. Census Bureau data, there were 5.68 million employer firms in the United States. Firms with fewer than 500 workers accounted for 99.7 percent of those businesses, and businesses with less than 20 workers made up 89.8 percent. Add in the number of nonemployer firmsthere were 22.7 million in 2012 – and the share of U.S. businesses with less than 500 workers increases to 99.9 percent, and firms with less than 20 workers increases to 98 percent.

Grow up and get out of your Mom's basement.

You are really a dumb person. Most people work for small business, not giant corporations.

In 2011, according to U.S. Census Bureau data, there were 5.68 million employer firms in the United States. Firms with fewer than 500 workers accounted for 99.7 percent of those businesses, and businesses with less than 20 workers made up 89.8 percent. Add in the number of nonemployer firmsthere were 22.7 million in 2012 – and the share of U.S. businesses with less than 500 workers increases to 99.9 percent, and firms with less than 20 workers increases to 98 percent.

You should also know that 3 out of 5 businesses support raising the minimum wage.

You should also know that 3 out of 5 businesses support raising the minimum wage.

There is nothing stopping you libs from voluntarily raising the minimum wage in your businesses, go ahead lead by example double wages what are you waiting for?

There is nothing stopping you libs from voluntarily raising the minimum wage in your businesses, go ahead lead by example double wages what are you waiting for?
There would not be a wide economic benefit if only a few businesses raised their wages.

There would not be a wide economic benefit if only a few businesses raised their wages.

Wait, you libs claim that a majority of the country agrees with you, well then voluntarily raise wages apparently over half the country will follow your lead. No? Poor libs I'm mean to you I know, exposing your hypocrisy. :laugh:

Liberal/Progressive/commie/Scumbag/Democrats also want higher taxes.

Why don't they voluntarily pay more? Nothing is stopping them, except their own hypocrisy.

Wait, you libs claim that a majority of the country agrees with you, well then voluntarily raise wages apparently over half the country will follow your lead. No? Poor libs I'm mean to you I know, exposing your hypocrisy. :laugh:
I'm not sure you understand what the word hypocrisy means.

How could these businesses collaborate on a nation widen scale like that? That doesn't make any sense. Raising wages would have to become law to have a nationwide effect.

Food stamps are a problem in many ways. They are necessary for the disadvantaged, elders, vets, etc. It's how they are so loosely regulated and easily open to fraud. I get a little irritated when I'm in line behind someone using food stamps to get a soda, chips and a quart of milk, and I can see behind the sunglasses that they're stoned on something and asking how many times they can get cash back on their cards. For what? Drugs? There should be no cash back on the cards.

We have a problem with obesity? Cut the products such as candy, cookies, sodas, ice cream, pre-cooked meals, etc. Food stamps should be used for nourishing food. It ain't that hard to cook good meals or bake cookies or make candy at home. Meals don't have to be expensive and fancy to be healthy. Try buying real cheese to make mac & cheese instead of whatever the hell it is in pre-packaged mac & cheese. What the hell else are they doing with their time if they're not working?

Getting fancy hairdos, pedicures and manicures when they and their children in tow are dressed half ragged? (Yes - I've seen it.) From where is that money coming? Live-in guy of the moment? Hell, it's cheaper for government to supply free birth control than it is to keep on upping the food stamp account every time a new baby whose father may or may not be known is popped out.

I don't know the answer. I really don't. But what we're doing now is not working very well.

I'm not sure you understand what the word hypocrisy means.

How could these businesses collaborate on a nation widen scale like that? That doesn't make any sense. Raising wages would have to become law to have a nationwide effect.

Ahahaha you people run around bragging how you got gay marriage approved now you are making excuses? lol Its okay we all know you libs are astroturf when it comes to the minimum wage. If ever there's a day the liberals drink their own koolaid I'll probably faint from shock.

Food stamps are a problem in many ways. They are necessary for the disadvantaged, elders, vets, etc. It's how they are so loosely regulated and easily open to fraud. I get a little irritated when I'm in line behind someone using food stamps to get a soda, chips and a quart of milk, and I can see behind the sunglasses that they're stoned on something and asking how many times they can get cash back on their cards. For what? Drugs? There should be no cash back on the cards.

We have a problem with obesity? Cut the products such as candy, cookies, sodas, ice cream, pre-cooked meals, etc. Food stamps should be used for nourishing food. It ain't that hard to cook good meals or bake cookies or make candy at home. Meals don't have to be expensive and fancy to be healthy. Try buying real cheese to make mac & cheese instead of whatever the hell it is in pre-packaged mac & cheese. What the hell else are they doing with their time if they're not working?

Getting fancy hairdos, pedicures and manicures when they and their children in tow are dressed half ragged? (Yes - I've seen it.) From where is that money coming? Live-in guy of the moment? Hell, it's cheaper for government to supply free birth control than it is to keep on upping the food stamp account every time a new baby whose father may or may not be known is popped out.

I don't know the answer. I really don't. But what we're doing now is not working very well.
The rampant fraud of food stamps is a myth. It only accounts for about 2.5% of food stamps funding. It's so low primarily because food stamps is peanuts anyway. There really isn't an incentive to fraud it. You only get $133 per month in food. That's 1.25 per day. It isn't worth the risk especially if your income is high enough.

Your experience with observing SNAP is anecdotal, but I'm not surprised that these people buy junk food - it's cheaper. On a food stamp budget, a person can't afford to get all the nutrition they need on a daily basis. They get junk food out of necessity.

I think a lot of people will make better decisions if they knew no one was there to take care of them.

Forum List

Back