Why is the 16th Amendment an attack on property rights?

Talk about a strawman argument.

IOW, property just mystically before your eyes. Man never had to work for it.

Gosh, you rw freaks are idiots.

Once again you dumb ass, THE PEOPLE FREELY gave to all levels of Government the power to tax property. You have no argument.

How is taxing labor not taxing property?

That is my argument in which you are trying to distort, you fucking piece shit. I am done with you.

What part of " the people gave to the Government the power to tax property" don't you understand? What part of the 16th Amendment don't you understand?

Once again you dumb ass, THE PEOPLE FREELY gave to all levels of Government the power to tax property. You have no argument.

That is my argument in which you are trying to distort, you fucking piece shit. I am done with you.

Are HUMANS property?

Are HUMANS property?

No, you fucking dirtball.

I believe in the a priori truth of individual ownership and property is a logical extension of applying one's individual ownership.

Are HUMANS property?

I believe in the a priori truth of individual ownership and property is a logical extension of applying one's individual ownership.

You should choose your words more carefully.

IDIOT

Are HUMANS property?

IDIOT

I await for you to prove that taxing labor is not taxing property.

Plus, you are the dirtball who misconstrued my words over Marbury vs Madison, yet you threaten me to tread lightly?

Go fuck yourself and your empty threats.

No doctrine or government can bestow man liberty, but man himself.

Yet proponents of the 16th believe otherwise.

IDIOT

Plus, you are the dirtball who misconstrued my words over Marbury vs Madison, yet you threaten me to tread lightly?

Go fuck yourself and your empty threats.
I am waiting for the point? The Government has ALWAYS had the power to tax property. If labor is property then they ALWAYS had the power to tax it. But they covered their bases with an amendment which the people approved.

Barring any geolibertarian arguments, property comes from labor. Property is the extension of one's faculties and therefore taxing labor is therefore a violation of property rights. If you own yourself, then you own the extension of your faculties, which is property.

I really don't know how much more succinct I can be for you, especially for the retards on this board.

Interesting premise.

Here is one problem, the first I saw.

Wages are gained by selling labor, which involves a contractual agreement, and commerce. Governments have always regulated, and taxed, commerce.

Barring any geolibertarian arguments, property comes from labor. Property is the extension of one's faculties and therefore taxing labor is therefore a violation of property rights. If you own yourself, then you own the extension of your faculties, which is property.

I really don't know how much more succinct I can be for you, especially for the retards on this board.

Context would be good – such as: what is your opponents’ argument?

Is your argument that income tax from property is a direct tax, subject to the rule of apportionment, per Article I, § 2 of the US Constitution? InPollock v. Farmers’ Loan & Trust Co.(1895), the Supreme Court indeed made that determination, but also held that income tax from wages was not subject to the apportionment requirement.

The 16th Amendment was more about clearing up the confusion and conflict stemming from direct versus indirect taxes, rather than voiding Pollock per se.

In Brushaber v. Union Pac. R. Co. (1916), the Court further held that income tax from wages is not a direct tax, it is an excise or duty. Moreover, income from either wages or real property were determined completely outside the category of direct taxes.

Otherwise, it was the Framers’ original intent to authorize Congress to collect taxes, per Article I, § 9:

No Capitation, or other direct, Tax shall be laid, unless in Proportion to the Census or enumeration herein before directed to be taken.

In any event, your premise may be fodder for a political or philosophical discussion, but it is legally and Constitutionally moot.

Taxing labor is taxing property, and it is Constitutional – but I suspect that is not your point.

No doctrine or government can bestow man liberty, but man himself.

Actually not. No doctrine or government can bestow man liberty, including man himself. The civil rights defining our liberty are inalienable, they predate the government and Constitution. They can be taken by no man and no government.

Yet proponents of the 16th believe otherwise.

There is no such thing as a ‘proponent’ of the 16th Amendment; the Amendment addresses process and procedure, not rights, property or otherwise. But as noted, Congress has always had the authority to tax income and property, the only thing at issue was the method.

Last edited:

To justify federal taxation you must understand the purpose of federal taxation which is twofold: (i) regulate/manipulate aggregate demand, and (ii) maintain a monopoly on US currency. (i) is intended to target low rates of inflation and (ii) is intended to perpetually grow production and consumption by exciting the industrious nature of mankind. By forcing Americans engaged in industry to pay taxes denominated solely in $USDs, you successfully force Americans engaged in industry to demand $USDs which results in a common $USD currency as US commerce's officially organized medium of exchange. The desire for this is obvious as it facilitates trade and economic growth by providing the one truly priceless commodity in any industrialized economy: time. Currency is like language; a lot more gets done and with greater efficiency if everyone is using the same one. The assembly line concept of mass production doesn't end once the product is manufactured but rather when the product is bought and sold.

So, understanding this philosophy of the role of money and taxation, it can be reasonably argued that federal income taxes fall within and serve the function of Congress' Commerce Clause power to regulate US commerce.

So, how is the income tax not a violation of property?

You can call me names all you want, but you fail to address my question.

You have yet to substantiate any violation of the law , ethics or authority given freely by the people to the Government to TAX PROPERTY. If your labor is property then the Government always had the power to tax it, yet they created and passed an amendment to the Constitution to authorize the taxing of income. APPROVED by the people.

Talk about calling names. Drag the log out of your own eye wouldja?

Forum List

Back