Why is religion introduced at such a young age?

Powerman

Jul 23, 2005
I've always wondered this and I think I know the answer. For most believing in God starts at a young age. You are young and can't think for yourself so if someone molds your mind to believe in all sorts of different things from a very young age it will be fairly difficult to undo the brainwashing.

Take catholics for instance. Most catholics were baptised before they could talk and received the most important sacraments of the eucharist and reconciliation at a relatively young age. Then most are confirmed before they are out of highschool.

OK now let's think of a theoretical situation. You are an educated adult over the age of 20 and somehow you have not been exposed to any religion. One day someone walks in your house and tells you summaries of the bible stories. What would happen next? You would laugh your ass off and tell the person you would rightfully think is a lunatic to get out of your house. If religion was introduced at later stages in life there is no way that it could flourish because no one would believe it.

Powerman said:
I've always wondered this and I think I know the answer. For most believing in God starts at a young age. You are young and can't think for yourself so if someone molds your mind to believe in all sorts of different things from a very young age it will be fairly difficult to undo the brainwashing.

Take catholics for instance. Most catholics were baptised before they could talk and received the most important sacraments of the eucharist and reconciliation at a relatively young age. Then most are confirmed before they are out of highschool.

OK now let's think of a theoretical situation. You are an educated adult over the age of 20 and somehow you have not been exposed to any religion. One day someone walks in your house and tells you summaries of the bible stories. What would happen next? You would laugh your ass off and tell the person you would rightfully think is a lunatic to get out of your house. If religion was introduced at later stages in life there is no way that it could flourish because no one would believe it.

If I ever have a child I'm going to let him or her make up her own mind about religion. Its their own personal prerogative. I'm of the opinion that there is morality without religion, so I don't think my children will suffer from any lack of spirituality; if and when they find Jesus, Allah, God, whatever, I'll support their decision to ascribe to faith.

nakedemperor said:
If I ever have a child I'm going to let him or her make up her own mind about religion. Its their own personal prerogative. I'm of the opinion that there is morality without religion, so I don't think my children will suffer from any lack of spirituality; if and when they find Jesus, Allah, God, whatever, I'll support their decision to ascribe to faith.

Sounds like a good idea. Would you support their decision to be atheist? And morality certainly exists outside of religion.

Powerman said:

Why is taking a bath introduced at such a young age? So you can wash your scuzzy little body and not stink up the place for everyone else.

Christianity dicates that you bring your children up in the ways of the Lord. Children grow to be adults just like you and I , and they can decide for themselves which path they wish to take.

And you just figure the odds of being an educated adult who isn't exposed to religion.

GunnyL said:
Why is taking a bath introduced at such a young age? So you can wash your scuzzy little body and not stink up the place for everyone else.

Christianity dicates that you bring your children up in the ways of the Lord. Children grow to be adults just like you and I , and they can decide for themselves which path they wish to take.

And you just figure the odds of being an educated adult who isn't exposed to religion.

It was a hypothetical situation... you need to pay attention.

But maybe you shouldn't brainwash your kids before you let them choose which path to take. Let's be honest with ourselves about faith. Your faith depends more on where you were born than on the validity of the religion itself. If any one of you Christians were born in southern India you would be Hindus.

Powerman said:
It was a hypothetical situation... you need to pay attention.

But maybe you shouldn't brainwash your kids before you let them choose which path to take. Let's be honest with ourselves about faith. Your faith depends more on where you were born than on the validity of the religion itself. If any one of you Christians were born in southern India you would be Hindus.

I am paying attention ....are you? My response was just as hypothetical. :poke:

You can call ANY learned trait "brainwashing" if you don't do it. I consider so-called "intellectuals" self-brainwashed into denying there is a God simply because it doesn't suit their self-centered reasoning. With God out of the way, you are free to engage in whatever without the guilt associated with defying divine law.

Have at it. We each choose our own path. I have chosen mine and do not deny you the right to choose your own ..... UNTIL you start presuming to tell me what is wrong with my choice.

• Thanks
Reactions: Gem
GunnyL said:
I am paying attention ....are you? My response was just as hypothetical. :poke:

You can call ANY learned trait "brainwashing" if you don't do it. I consider so-called "intellectuals" self-brainwashed into denying there is a God simply because it doesn't suit their self-centered reasoning. <b>With God out of the way, you are free to engage in whatever without the guilt associated with defying divine law.</b>

Have at it. We each choose our own path. I have chosen mine and do not deny you the right to choose your own ..... UNTIL you start presuming to tell me what is wrong with my choice.

Not necessarily... You can still have a conscience, and a strong sense of right and wrong without the belief in a higher power....

GunnyL said:

I was exposed to Christianity at a young age. Then I took a bath. :D

Powerman said:
I disagree, there are many people who find God later on in life. While I am not a religious person myself, I completely understand the valuable purpose that religion serves in peoples' lives. Religion is a LOT more than a bunch of bible stories.

Powerman said:

Not really, many reject religion altogether or convert.

Would you like an explaination for the above sacrements, or are you already informed as to why the majority takes place at a young age?

Again, not really. Many people "find" religion later in life, it's not an unusual occurance.

"Would you like an explaination for the above sacrements, or are you already informed as to why the majority takes place at a young age?"

Well I'm an ex catholic but give me your explanation of why you think it is needed at a young age.

Powerman said:
"Would you like an explaination for the above sacrements, or are you already informed as to why the majority takes place at a young age?"

Well I'm an ex catholic but give me your explanation of why you think it is needed at a young age.

You know the purpose of recieving each sacrement, but do not understand why they are undertaken at a young age?

Said1 said:
You know the purpose of recieving each sacrement, but do not understand why they are undertaken at a young age?

No not really. I don't understand why anyone would think it is necessary for a young child to go into a confessional booth with a priest and cannibalize their deity. It seems like complete nonsense to me.

Powerman said:
No not really. I don't understand why anyone would think it is necessary for a young child to go into a confessional booth with a priest and cannibalize their deity. It seems like complete nonsense to me.

They don't go into a confessional booth and cannibalize their deity. Remember? Confession and Communion do not take place at the same time, even though you can't have one with out the other.

mattskramer said:
I was exposed to Christianity at a young age. Then I took a bath. :D

I was accosted by "Jews for Jesus" on a streetcorner in NYC. I brushed them off by saying the best thing about Jews is that they don't proselitize and that these individuals were taking a step backwards. The next person they hassled was a black dude.

"Is Jesus your personal savior?"

"Used to be."

"What happened?"

"I grew up!"

Said1 said:
They don't go into a confessional booth and cannibalize their deity. Remember? Confession and Communion do not take place at the same time, even though you can't have one with out the other.

Well I can see how you misunderstood what I meant. But I didn't mean that they were doing both at the same time.

Powerman said:

Religions purpose is to socialize people in a way in which they can live together cooperatively and constructively. It needs to start early. It's the same reason gay activist feel the need to normalize gayness as soon as possible.
:beer:

Powerman said:
Well I can see how you misunderstood what I meant.

No, I didn't misunderstand what you meant. You want to know why people introduce their religious traditions to their children at an early age. Then you went on about the Catholic sacrements, which you claim to know all about, but don't based in this comment:

If you understood the purpose of Baptism/Confrimation Confession/Communion and knew the difference, you would not make idiotic statements such as that.

Anyhoo, people teach their children their way of life beginning at birth. Why is that so hard for you to grasp? Does it matter if they worship God, Cats or nothing? People have been know to reject their religion, convert or become even more extreme as they mature, ever notice that?

Shattered said:
Not necessarily... You can still have a conscience, and a strong sense of right and wrong without the belief in a higher power....

Perhaps. In today's society. Your conscience, values, moral judgement, etc are everything society has taught you since your first breath. None are inherent. Learned traits based on religious beliefs.

Without the teachings of society which ARE based on religion, man's sense of "right and wrong" is whatever is justified to ensure his survival. That does not necessarily equate to our Judeo/Christian beliefs of "right and wrong."

Said1 said:
No, I didn't misunderstand what you meant. You want to know why people introduce their religious traditions to their children at an early age. Then you went on about the Catholic sacrements, which you claim to know all about, but don't based in this comment:

If you understood the purpose of Baptism/Confrimation Confession/Communion and knew the difference, you would not make idiotic statements such as that.

Anyhoo, people teach their children their way of life beginning at birth. Why is that so hard for you to grasp? Does it matter if they worship God, Cats or nothing? People have been know to reject their religion, convert or become even more extreme as they mature, ever notice that?

He's just having a moment and WE are indulging him. :cool:

Forum List

Back