Why is it Necessary to Mislead

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
in order to support one's position? USA Today published at chart purporting to show that the U.S. top income tax rate of 35% (now 39.6%) is substantially lower than those of France and Germany (45%) or Great Britain (50%). What was conveniently omitted from this chart was that the other countries' rates include social security and health care, whereas ours does not (nor does it include state income tax rates). When ALL of our taxes are added in, we are one of the most heavily taxed countries in the world. but that fact would spoil their dishonest narrative.

What you guys constantly leave out is the cost of the Military, the Troops and the Spook Ops.

Yeah..there is ALOT of misleading going on.

in order to support one's position? USA Today published at chart purporting to show that the U.S. top income tax rate of 35% (now 39.6%) is substantially lower than those of France and Germany (45%) or Great Britain (50%). What was conveniently omitted from this chart was that the other countries' rates include social security and health care, whereas ours does not (nor does it include state income tax rates). When ALL of our taxes are added in, we are one of the most heavily taxed countries in the world. but that fact would spoil their dishonest narrative.
Did the USA Today chart refer to federal tax only? Please link to the chart.

Okay, so what IS the top tax rate if all our taxes added in? And how it compares to that of other developed countries?

Okay, so what IS the top tax rate if all our taxes added in? And how it compares to that of other developed countries?

i imagine that'd be somewhat difficult to compare given the VATs in other countries.

Source is today's front page, which only includes FIT rates. It is difficult to get comparable overall statistics, since we have many more taxes and fees, especially at the state and local levels, than do most other countries. Just take a look at your telephone bill.

Source is today's front page, which only includes FIT rates. It is difficult to get comparable overall statistics, since we have many more taxes and fees, especially at the state and local levels, than do most other countries. Just take a look at your telephone bill.

Well, all countries are like that -- they have other taxes on top of the income tax. And while it is difficult to compare the impact of individual taxes, we can just look at the bottom line:

The-Numbers-Jan-2012-International_1.gif

And, BTW, 5% of the US GDP is 800 billion -- even if we collect that much in additional taxes, it would still put us below the OECD average.

Last edited:

Well, all countries are like that -- they have other taxes on top of the income tax. And while it is difficult to compare the impact of individual taxes, we can just look at the bottom line:

And, BTW, 5% of the US GDP is 800 billion -- if we collect that much in additional taxes we would still be below the OECD average.

The graph is misleading in two parts, one because it does not eliminate the differences in what you get for your tax dollars, and two, an higher tax per GDP can indicate a stagnant or inifficent economy, and does not indicate the efficiency of the taxation.

What you guys constantly leave out is the cost of the Military, the Troops and the Spook Ops.

Yeah..there is ALOT of misleading going on.

Well nothing to say and the subject of the OP and you don't mind saying it.

I was reading where Briton is heading for a triple dip recession, yeah let's do what they do.

I was reading where Briton is heading for a triple dip recession, yeah let's do what they do.

The UK economy is struggling because the Conservative government keeps slashing its spending during the slump.

And, BTW, 5% of the US GDP is 800 billion -- if we collect that much in additional taxes we would still be below the OECD average.

The graph is misleading in two parts, one because it does not eliminate the differences in what you get for your tax dollars

What differences are you talking about?

and two, an higher tax per GDP can indicate a stagnant or inifficent economy, and does not indicate the efficiency of the taxation.

Tax rate per GDP cannot possibly be an indication of a stagnant economy. Simply because the tax revenues depend on GDP -- in fact, they drop faster than GDP when an economy goes into recession.

In any case there are lot of OECD economies that can be described as anything BUT stagnant, while collecting much more taxes than the US.

The UK economy is struggling because the Conservative government keeps slashing its spending during the slump.

Explain how cutting the cost of government cause the economy to struggle?

Last I heard the government doesn't produce anything.

Government jobs, government projects, government money picking up private sector slack.

Spending makes the economy go round, when the private sector stops spending the worst thing the government can do is follow suit.

The government does produce things, like massive debt and massive inflation. They also produce higher prices for almost everything through regulations. So yes the government can produce things.

The graph is misleading in two parts, one because it does not eliminate the differences in what you get for your tax dollars

What differences are you talking about?

and two, an higher tax per GDP can indicate a stagnant or inifficent economy, and does not indicate the efficiency of the taxation.

Tax rate per GDP cannot possibly be an indication of a stagnant economy. Simply because the tax revenues depend on GDP -- in fact, they drop faster than GDP when an economy goes into recession.

In any case there are lot of OECD economies that can be described as anything BUT stagnant, while collecting much more taxes than the US.

Maybe stagnation is not the term to use, but it sure as hell can be a sign of inefficiency. By the chart how can you tell what services you get for your tax ratio, or do you get multiple levels of buracracy that reduce the services provided for the collected tax dollars.

hmmmmm..... :laugh2: looks like you left something out too :rofl:

way too much to list here.

Most wealthy people and corporations pay so little in tax it is incredible...tax write offs and more..and citizens in America get tons of tax breaks too

and if your supposition were true...you'd have to look at what percenatge of national income is spent on what.

We have a huge defense budget. Other countries have huge social welfare systems....and the right, you included say you don't want us becoming European in that way.

So you are suffering a classic case of disconnect ...

The government does produce things, like massive debt and massive inflation. They also produce higher prices for almost everything through regulations. So yes the government can produce things.

Your sarcasm is duly noted.

Government jobs, government projects, government money picking up private sector slack.

Spending makes the economy go round, when the private sector stops spending the worst thing the government can do is follow suit.

And yet they produce absolutely nothing.

What your saying is they take money from us and spend it to grow the economy.

Well couldn't we just spend OUR money OURSELVES and get the same desired result?

Tell me whan has the private sector ever stopped spending?

I'm the private sector and I spend money everyday of my life and will continue until the day I die.

If you're talking about corporations sitting on their money, well blame the liberal government for that.

Four years and NO BUDGET??

And they think they can manage my money better?

PUHLEASE!!

Forum List

Back