Why is it nearly all patents are issued to MEN??

Affirmative Action is racist, IMO. Anything that separates people by race is racist be it hatred of someone for being black or white or simply giving one a legislative advantage over the other.

AA is not just racist - it's super-extremely racist. Handing out jobs based on skin color is as racist as can be.

It's the sexist Patriarchy! ARggghhhh! :mad-61:

/sarcasm

It's because men like to tinker with things more.

I know guys that make clocks, jewelry boxes, one guy i talked to not long ago
was making a table that lets you take a skilsaw , clamp it in and now you got a radial arm or chop saw. I thought that was pretty neat.

Men are more prone to making something to fix a problem that irks them.

Last edited:

was making a table that lets you take a skilsaw , clamp it in and now you got a radial arm or chop saw. I thought that was pretty neat.

There are still pretty strong cultural ties to traditional gender roles. Boys get Fisher Price tool boxes when they're three, girls get a baby doll or a tea set. Dads take the boys out in the garage and show them how to fix the brakes on the truck; the girls are whipping up something in the kitchen with mom or playing dress up with her old formals. Females, whether through nature or nurture, tend to be more interested in people professions. Some say we unknowingly socialize females differently.
All these things and probably many more lead to less girls participating in STEM related professions. Sure, patriarchy is deep in the roots of it somewhere, but it's not a purposeful conspiracy to keep women down. Cultural truths are the slowest to change. Look at the continuing reactions to blacks/whites in this country. Freeing the slaves and making laws about desegregation don't change the cultural influences handed down from parent to child. No different with the beliefs about women and men.

There are still pretty strong cultural ties to traditional gender roles. Boys get Fisher Price tool boxes when they're three, girls get a baby doll or a tea set. Dads take the boys out in the garage and show them how to fix the brakes on the truck; the girls are whipping up something in the kitchen with mom or playing dress up with her old formals. Females, whether through nature or nurture, tend to be more interested in people professions. Some say we unknowingly socialize females differently.
All these things and probably many more lead to less girls participating in STEM related professions. Sure, patriarchy is deep in the roots of it somewhere, but it's not a purposeful conspiracy to keep women down. Cultural truths are the slowest to change. Look at the continuing reactions to blacks/whites in this country. Freeing the slaves and making laws about desegregation don't change the cultural influences handed down from parent to child. No different with the beliefs about women and men.

The Patriarchy quip was sarcasm. Hopefully I still have time to edit.

Men and women are not the same. Equal, yes but the same no.

I used to believe that most of the differences between men and women were culturally ingrained. As you mentioned, from the toys to the cloths, children generally are treated differently based on gender. Then, after having 2 boys, I had my fist girl and she took my worldview and trashed it. Having stacks of baby cloths from my last two, I was not going to purchase more baby cloths for something that she would be wearing 6 months. I had rooms full of toys - why would I need more? So I had no intention of purchasing any more.

Sure as shit, even at two years old she wants to wear dresses, loves pinks, wants things with frills and just dies over a sparkly pair of boots. She plays with the same toys that the boys played with but not in the same manner. There are, as you say, many things that are culturally ingrained as it pertains to men and women but there are also basic biological differences between us that show through even in the way that we dress and play. Those biological differences will always affect the carrier decisions that we make as well.

There are also known differences in the manner that our minds work. Men are more inclined to be better at math while women are better at multi-tasking. It is precisely our differences that make us stronger together.

This is, of course, not to say that this is always true of genders - clearly there are women and men that break these generalizations but for the most part they ring true.

Culture has little to do with black failure. Blacks are mentally inferior. that's the problem THINK

[

There are also known differences in the manner that our minds work. Men are more inclined to be better at math while women are better at multi-tasking. It is precisely our differences that make us stronger together.

HAHAHA. That's the sort of silly meaningless comment libs love to make. "It is precisely our differences that make us stronger together."

Hilarious. Learn how to think.

Forum List

Back